OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:50:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More on Jan Hus  (Read 1277 times) Average Rating: 0
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« on: February 15, 2004, 07:12:55 AM »

About two and a half months ago, I posted a question as to whether the Medieval Czech priest Jan Hus had an Orthodox attitude. Some people stated that he was simply another heretic, but I wanted to mention that the churches here in Prague are selling a book that says the opposite: that Jan Hus is a saint. The book is by no lesser an authority than St. Vladyka Nikolai Velimirovich. He states that Hus approached the church in Constantinople and that the Hussites would have officially been accepted as Orthodox, but that
historical events barred this from taking place. A priest I talked to yesterday is of the same opinion.

If this is true then St. Jan, pray to God for us

NULL
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 01:43:02 PM »

I wish I had a copy of that book - in English.

Just the same, the whole thing sounds fishy to me. I am not an expert on Hus, but from what I have read, he was a disciple of John Wycliffe and definitely not Orthodox.

But who knows?

I suppose anything's possible.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 08:39:08 PM »

Also, there is nobody in the Orthodox Church that is infallible.  Even St. John Chrysostom and all the other fathers believed things that are not accepted by the Church.  I have to agree with Linus on this one.  I don't believe that Hus had an Orthodox outlook.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 01:20:43 AM »

eh.  francis of assisi was also branded an heretic at one point . . . .

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 07:15:21 PM »

It's possible...
Hus was active in the early 1400's - well before the protestant reformation.
His views would have been more harmonious with Orthodoxy than Protestant per se, but because he was protestor against the Roman church he is lumped in with the reformers of the late 1400/early 1500's

His main views were that the papacy was not divinely established but a man-made invention for the orderly running of the church; he also believed church officials should not get involved in worldly affairs of civil governing and he opposed withholding the cup from communicants and just giving them the "host" in the eucharist. He also opposed the selling of indulgences (which lumps him in with the protestants).

that is not to say that all he believed would have been Orthodox - but perhaps enough to have been eventually brought into the church

He was martyred before that could happen
Boswell

Bi, poly, trans and ex-Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 08:50:37 PM »

eh.  francis of assisi was also branded an heretic at one point . . . .

Irrelevant. By that standard, the doors to canonization would be open to anyone.

Its not enough to say that Hus disagreed with Rome-you also need to look at his positive beliefs. Did he believe that Holy Communion was proper only in both kinds? Do Orthodox really believe that Rome is "just" a human institution? There's a slippery slope here-pretty soon you get to the point where the episcopate and the Sacrement of Ordination are denied.

Obviously the Eastern Churches have long had some involvement in civil government.

erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 08:05:19 AM »

I think I was informed that Jan Hus visited the church of Constantinople and that, had he not been executed, the Hussite church would have been formally received into the Orthodox Church. But don't quote me on this. My facts may not be straight.

NULL
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »

Jan Hus did oppose the Roman Catholic practice of withholding the cup from the people.  

The old Czek Republic had originally been under the jurisdiction of the Orthodox East (Byzantine Empire). When it was taken over (as a result of war) by the West, Roman Catholicism was forced on the people there.  Some Bohemians and Moravians banded together in a reform effort, calling themselves the Unitas Fratrum.  Their efforts were eventually crushed and they were wiped out, but their writings remained.  Jan Hus and his allies designed to resurrect the mission of the Unitas Fratrum, and succeeded, although Hus was martyred. Persecuted by the Roman Catholic Church, the group took refuge on the estate of Count Nicholas von Zinzendorf, who was sympathetic to their mission. Eventually, the Unitas Fratrum moved to Britain and then to the American colonies, establishing the first Moravian community in the New World: Bethlehem, PA.  Their second colony was Salem, North Carolina, now part of Winston-Salem (my home town).  

That may be more than you were looking for, or you may have already discussed it in another thread, but if not, I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 06:47:15 PM by countrymouse » Logged
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 06:45:09 PM »

I take it the llama is the default avatar?  Cute!   Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 06:46:55 PM by countrymouse » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: