OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:33:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anne Rice's Rejection of Christianity  (Read 4198 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: July 30, 2010, 08:34:51 AM »

I was never a big fan of her books, but when I lived in NOLA I had met her a few times (her home was in the Garden District, not too far from where my wife taught school at the Ursuline Academy). After reading this article I started asking myself:

-How often are there people who leave any sort of church due to the behaviors of others?
-How can a person who claims to be knowledgeable in church history take this option?
-Can a person be a Christian yet worship alone?

I hope to get a good discussion going...not like the discussions we usually have here  Cheesy While the 'gay' word is mentioned, it is just tangential; and while the article mentions her political leanings we also do not have to discuss her pollitics in this thread.

Anne Rice Quits Christianity

Anne Rice Quits Christianity - "Maybe Commitment to Christ Means not Being a Christian"

Author Anne Rice announced yesterday that she's quit Christianity. However, she said she is still "committed to Christ."

Anne Rice said on her Facebook page, "For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity."

Anne Rice declared her conversion to Christianity ten years ago. Previously, Rice had been an atheist after being raised a Roman Catholic. Rice has long advocated left-wing politics, especially in the area of gay rights.

Anne Rice's announcement continued, "It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

Anne Rice's choice to leave Christianity was announced after a flurry of posts discussing the Westboro Baptist Church and wondering aloud, "When does a word (Christian) become unusable? When does it become so burdened with history and horror that it cannot be evoked without destructive controversy?"

It could be argued that Anne Rice is still a Christian because of her devotion to Jesus Christ. She, however, has rejected the label. Right-wing Christians controlling the dialogue held by Christians in the public square seems to have pushed Anne Rice out of the organized religion fold. Rice's awareness of Christian history also informed her decision.

Should Anne Rice seek Christian churches that embrace her politics? Or is she indeed better off forging her own path? It's a delicate question.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »

-How often are there people who leave any sort of church due to the behaviors of others?
I think it tends to be one of the most popular reasons people venture off into being churchless but still believers, whether it is due to the actions of the clergy or actions of the laity.  Many people stay with a church for the support system and comfort it provides them, but if the actions of others are detrimental to their well-being (physically, mentally, etc.), why stick around and let the gangrenous limb fester?

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »

She's scandalized by the action of people, not the actions of Christ.

There  is where a "formal" Christ-centered liturgical tradition that does not depend on people's moods could come in handy for those who still want to be in Church an yet do not approve of the hypocrisy and secularism of the "dead" members of the Church.

Considering her tastes, maybe she could try the Church, instead of denominations. Smiley

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
visitor

Jurisdiction: Let's just leave it at a Canonical one, okay?

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:36:54 AM »

What a narcissist. I hope she quits belonging to every group that is associated with evil: She'll be living alone on an island, as she is forced to make up her own language, and we'll never hear from her again.

Give it up, Anne! The people who do care about your stupid renunciation are people that you probably wouldn't want to know personally! Roll Eyes
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:11:25 AM »

What a disappointing development. I really thought that she was more mature than this.
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »

Her son is practicing h***sexual and she was a member of the Roman Catholic Church, I presume it was all too much for her.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »

Kyrie Eleison!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:03:48 PM »

Her son is practicing h***sexual and she was a member of the Roman Catholic Church, I presume it was all too much for her.

Possibly related to that really:

Rice says that she refuses to be "anti-gay … anti-feminist" and "anti-artificial birth control."
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2010/0730/Anne-Rice-says-she-s-done-with-Christianity

What a pity. Lord have mercy on us who are yet to find a way to communicate this is in a better way and to properly fight those who slander the Church and Christ.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »

Friendly reminder.  Step away from the moratorium line.  No apologies necessary for toeing it.  Just step back so this thread can remain open.  Thank you.

Schultz
Orthodox-Catholic Discussion moderator.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »

she was a member of the Roman Catholic Church, I presume it was all too much for her.

I think the key here is that she WAS Catholic. Then she later converted to Christianity. And now she is upset about Westboro Baptist and a Christian teaching. To me, this says that her idea of Christianity, when she converted, became the idea that the certain organization represents Christianity. I mean, why couldnt she be like many of us see the heterodox- outside the institutional church, but still committed to Christ.

If we say that we are upset by the actions of church leaders or many adherents, does that mean we should give up the teaching if they are the ones outside of it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:38:59 PM by rakovsky » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »

I think it tends to be one of the most popular reasons people venture off into being churchless but still believers, whether it is due to the actions of the clergy or actions of the laity.  Many people stay with a church for the support system and comfort it provides them, but if the actions of others are detrimental to their well-being (physically, mentally, etc.), why stick around and let the gangrenous limb fester?

Then they should be consistent and go off to a desert island to get away from society, and stop limiting this excuse to rationalize their lack of committment to Church.

What a narcissist. I hope she quits belonging to every group that is associated with evil: She'll be living alone on an island, as she is forced to make up her own language, and we'll never hear from her again.

Give it up, Anne! The people who do care about your stupid renunciation are people that you probably wouldn't want to know personally! Roll Eyes
LOL. Excellent post.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:43:49 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »

she was a member of the Roman Catholic Church, I presume it was all too much for her.

I think the key here is that she WAS Catholic. Then she later converted to Christianity. And now she is upset about Westboro Baptist and a Christian teaching. To me, this says that her idea of Christianity, when she converted, became the idea that the certain organization represents Christianity. I mean, why couldnt she be like many of us see the heterodox- outside the institutional church, but still committed to Christ.

If we say that we are upset by the actions of church leaders or many adherents, does that mean we should give up the teaching if they are the ones outside of it?

If she paid more attention to Pope Benedict XVI than WB Baptist (why is she paying attention to ANY Baptist?), she would be better off.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 03:00:36 PM »

Who speaks for the irony-deficient? Where is there a support group and fundraiser for people suffering from a lack of irony?

This unfortunate condition allows them to say things like they don't want to have anything more to do with "quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious" people, while being hostile, quarrelsome and disputatious themselves. And then to stand oh-so-self-righteously on their conscience.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »

She was raised Catholic, became atheist, and then returned to the Catholic Church a few years ago. She has not become Baptist, or any other such Protestant variety. She is still, as far as she has said so far, a Catholic (who attends Mass, etc.) -- but no longer wishes to be labeled "Christian" due to political nastiness associated with that word these days, especially in the States. She's always had problems with certain Roman Catholic teachings on human sexuality, so that's nothing new.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:55:04 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »

She was raised Catholic, became atheist, and then returned to the Catholic Church a few years ago. She has not become Baptist, or any other such Protestant variety. She is still, as far as she has said so far, a Catholic (who attends Mass, etc.) -- but no longer wishes to be labeled "Christian" due to political nastiness associated with that word these days, especially in the States. She's always had problems with certain Roman Catholic teachings on human sexuality, so that's nothing new.

Cafeteria Christians and social and/or political liberal Christians have a problem when they try to reconcile their personal inclinations and preferences with their faith. Sometimes it is hard. Other times it becomes impossible. May be Ms. Rice falls in that category, may be she did it out of frustration (with the discussion on that vile Westboro sect) or may be it was to show solidarity with her son.

"    For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

Even now, as she tosses off organized religion, Rice posts that she's still

... an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God ... Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become."
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2010/07/anne-rice-catholic-/1

ADDED: The problem with quitting organized religion, while claiming to follow Christ, is that you are cut off from the life-giving mysteries. How can one hold oneself to be a disciple of Christ is one does not take Him seriously? May be one can imagine a mystical union with the Body of Christ, but it would be impossible to ignore "...unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink  His blood, you have no life in you."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:21:49 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »

I think the key here is that she WAS Catholic. Then she later converted to Christianity.

Exactly what do you mean by saying she was Catholic but THEN became a Christian? I thought Catholics were Christian?!

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »

Who is she and why is she important?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »

I was wondering the same but being a dumb New Zealander at the edge of the universe I didn't want to reveal my ignorance.   laugh
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 06:35:51 PM »

Where is the logic in this? How can one be "committed to Christ" but not be a Christian?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »

I was wondering the same but being a dumb New Zealander at the edge of the universe I didn't want to reveal my ignorance.   laugh

Father bless,

She is a prominent American author. She wrote a series of vampire books and most recently a series of books loosely based upon the life of Christ. The latter were written after she returned to the Roman Catholic faith of her youth after spending many years as an Atheist.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:55:31 PM by Sinner Servant » Logged
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »

I was very saddened to read this.  But we shouldn't give up hope that she will return one day.

One of her "vampire" novels, "Memnoch the Devil", written before her much-publicized conversion, is an amazing tour de force in the tradition of Dante's Inferno.  I read it during one of my "atheist phases" and it definitely shook me up qute a bit with the force of her very obvious love for Christ.

Who knows?  But I know from my own experience that I've been in and out of Faith many times in my life.  If her love for Christ is real, He won't let her stay away too long.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »

I think the key here is that she WAS Catholic. Then she later converted to Christianity.

Exactly what do you mean by saying she was Catholic but THEN became a Christian? I thought Catholics were Christian?!

Exactly.  I've always balked at this "born again" terminology which equates Protestant with Christian and Orthodox/Catholic with idolator.

Cafeteria Christians and social and/or political liberal Christians have a problem when they try to reconcile their personal inclinations and preferences with their faith. Sometimes it is hard. Other times it becomes impossible...I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

I can’t buy this post in its entirety.  Being “anti-artificial birth control”, “anti-Democrat”, or “anti-science” aren’t yardsticks by which one measures their Christianity.  I don’t believe that science and faith are mutually exclusive, and thankfully, neither does my doctor, I’m not opposed to preventative birth control, I’m socially and politically liberal on a lot of issues, especially those involving so-called “race”, I believe in equal pay and opportunities for progress for women, and I vote Democrat most of the time, and I’m also an Orthodox Christian.  There’s no conflict there at all for me, and I have no trouble reconciling any of my views with those of the Church.

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 02:36:48 AM »

I misunderstood, and thought she converted to Calvinism, and that's why she was concerned with WB. Many "evangelical" Calvinists distinguish between someone who is Catholic and someone who is Christian.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 02:50:31 AM »

Cafeteria Christians and social and/or political liberal Christians have a problem when they try to reconcile their personal inclinations and preferences with their faith. Sometimes it is hard. Other times it becomes impossible...I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

I can’t buy this post in its entirety.  Being “anti-artificial birth control”, “anti-Democrat”, or “anti-science” aren’t yardsticks by which one measures their Christianity.  I don’t believe that science and faith are mutually exclusive, and thankfully, neither does my doctor, I’m not opposed to preventative birth control, I’m socially and politically liberal on a lot of issues, especially those involving so-called “race”, I believe in equal pay and opportunities for progress for women, and I vote Democrat most of the time, and I’m also an Orthodox Christian.  There’s no conflict there at all for me, and I have no trouble reconciling any of my views with those of the Church.
Yes, I agree with Antonious on this. I don't see economic leftism as harder to match with Christianity, since most of Our People were working-class immigrants in the labor movement.

It seems that libertarians would have the hardest time, because they are culturally liberal (eg. strong "feminist"), while downplaying organized charity and providing for people's social welfare.
Nonetheless, I don't think Christianity is necessarily anti-feminist, pro-racist, anti-science, or theocratic, which she suggests. For one of her biggest issues, I had been taught a certain way in a private highschool, and then talked about the topic with my priest and was persuaded by him. So it seems we cannot simply rule out that the church is actually right or insightful and declare ourselves unChristian based on some disagreements, which aren't core to Christianity anyway. I think you should talk with people and priest before making this decision.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:39 AM »

During my wilderness years between Evangelicalism and Orthodoxy, I wrote a book called Consciousness of the Eternal: Spiritual Hope and Spiritual Truth apart from Organized Religion. Fortunately it was never published. Like Anne Rice, I tried to differentiate Christ from Christianity. I would often tell people, "I'm not a Christian; I'm a follower of Christ." I had become so disillusioned with Evangelicalism (ironically for reasons that are quite the opposite of Ms. Rice's, such as what I perceived to be these churches' tepid opposition to abortion) that I took the "invisible universal Church" idea to its extreme conclusion and declared myself a part of this amorphous "spiritual body" that was much more authentic than the "organized Christianity" that congregated within concrete walls. Soren Kierkegaard's Attack Upon Christendom and Tolstoy's The Kingdom of God is Within You were two very influential books on my life during that time.

In retrospect, I honestly think that I did draw nearer to Christ in those years than I previously had as a member of various Protestant churches. And those years were formative in preparing my heart for Orthodoxy. If I had not rejected the false Christianity of Evangelical Protestantism, I would never have found Orthodoxy. But can I also see that those were very dangerous times for me as well. I began attending a Mosque and also flirted with the B'hai Faith. Eventually I embraced the Rastafari path. But I am thankful that my faith in the deity of Christ and in the the Holy Trinity was never compromised. And I am deeply indebted to and grateful for the Christian legacy and teachings of Emperor Haile Selassie I, because without H.I.M. I may very easily have become prey for these demonic and idolatrous religions that lay in wait for so many of God's disillusioned children.

So, I hope Ann Rice will discover Orthodoxy and find the spiritual Truth for which she has been searching. With her love for mystical things, I think Orthodoxy could very easily appeal to her. But I am concerned about her moral confusion. In the Orthdox Church, I found the consistent and unambiguous moral clarity that was sorely lacking in Evangelicalism. (Although, those who read through this forum without having a firm knowledge of apostolic Church Teaching may be scratching their heads at that statement. Wink) If Ann Rice is looking for a feminist faith, then Orthdoxy is certainly not for her. But if she is truly looking for the authentic experience of Christ Our Lord, then the Mother Church is waiting to welcome her with open arms.

Let us pray for her.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:30:01 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 03:47:50 AM »

Is she set to release a new book soon? Wink
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 04:02:16 AM »

So, I hope Ann Rice will discover Orthodoxy and find the spiritual Truth for which she has been searching. With her love for mystical things, I think Orthodoxy could very easily appeal to her.

Why do you think that Orthodoxy would be more interesting option to her than Roman Catholism If she's rejecting Roman Catholism because of various moral and political issues which Orthodoxy shares with Roman Catholism?

But of course miracles can always happen. Through the prayers of St. Anne and her Guardian Angel, may Lord have mercy on her and bring her Home.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 04:19:20 AM »

So, I hope Ann Rice will discover Orthodoxy and find the spiritual Truth for which she has been searching. With her love for mystical things, I think Orthodoxy could very easily appeal to her.

Why do you think that Orthodoxy would be more interesting option to her than Roman Catholism If she's rejecting Roman Catholism because of various moral and political issues which Orthodoxy shares with Roman Catholism?

Because I believe that the True Church is the embodiment of authentic mysticism and authentic morality. False religions and heterodox christianity offers only a facade of the spiritual depth that our souls crave and the moral truth that is indellibly inscribed upon our consciences. When we encounter Orthodoxy, our souls intuitively recognize it as home; but the heart must volitionally submit. The seminal question is whether one wants to feed the soul or satisfy the vagaries of the heart and mind. Some choose to chase the passionate urgings of the human heart and the meandering streams of mortal logic, and they do so to the detriment of their souls. But others choose to nurture their souls even at the expense of offending their own human emotions and their own finite reasoning. In time, however, Orthodoxy cures them of the spiritual schizophrenic angst from which most people in the world suffer acutely.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 06:16:33 AM »

The cynic in me wonders the same thing.
NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »

I misunderstood, and thought she converted to Calvinism, and that's why she was concerned with WB. Many "evangelical" Calvinists distinguish between someone who is Catholic and someone who is Christian.

Gotchya! Thanks for clearing that up! Smiley
Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »

I can’t buy this post in its entirety.  Being “anti-artificial birth control”, “anti-Democrat”, or “anti-science” aren’t yardsticks by which one measures their Christianity.  I don’t believe that science and faith are mutually exclusive, and thankfully, neither does my doctor, I’m not opposed to preventative birth control, I’m socially and politically liberal on a lot of issues, especially those involving so-called “race”, I believe in equal pay and opportunities for progress for women, and I vote Democrat most of the time, and I’m also an Orthodox Christian.  There’s no conflict there at all for me, and I have no trouble reconciling any of my views with those of the Church.
Yes, I agree with Antonious on this. I don't see economic leftism as harder to match with Christianity, since most of Our People were working-class immigrants in the labor movement.

It seems that libertarians would have the hardest time, because they are culturally liberal (eg. strong "feminist"), while downplaying organized charity and providing for people's social welfare.
Nonetheless, I don't think Christianity is necessarily anti-feminist, pro-racist, anti-science, or theocratic, which she suggests. For one of her biggest issues, I had been taught a certain way in a private highschool, and then talked about the topic with my priest and was persuaded by him. So it seems we cannot simply rule out that the church is actually right or insightful and declare ourselves unChristian based on some disagreements, which aren't core to Christianity anyway. I think you should talk with people and priest before making this decision.

All excellent points, Rakovsky.  It seems to me that a person who would characterize Christianity as pro-racist, anti-feminist, or anti-science is perhaps limited in their scope of experiences with Christianity, and I suppose this also ties into that troublesome and false juxtaposition of Catholicism/Orthodoxy on the one hand and Evangelical Protestantism as Christianity en toto on the other.

If all an individual has been exposed to in terms of "Christianity" is the kind of theological refuse spewed by Bob Jones University types, prattling on about how "interracial dating violates the natural boundaries established by God" and trying to back that up by twisting Scripture to suit their erroneous claims, then that person is going to think that "Christians" are racists.  But if that same individual ever encounters Orthodoxy, which is antithetical to such nonsense, then they'd quickly see that they'd been judging "Christianity" by very narrow standards indeed.

The term "Christian" has a certain connotation in this country that is employed by elements on the right and left to suit their own political and social agendas, and unfortunately, it often goes unchallenged by those of us who are actually trying to live out our lives in a Christian fashion, because many of us, believe it or not, are not big politicos.  I think Ms. Rice is seizing on and taking advantage of this, perhaps for publicity purposes.  She knows she'll get an "Amen!" from the militant atheist far left, and get the rise she wants out of the perpetually angry, red-faced, Archie Bunker element of the far right, get a heap of free publicity and sell a bunch of tawdry books, and meanwhile, the "silent majority" of Christians (Orthodox or otherwise) will keep chugging along, focusing on our salvation and the kingdom that is to come.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:52:04 AM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »

It's not so clear that she is rejecting Catholicism. Many Catholics would agree with her "I refuse to be anti-" statements.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 12:58:52 PM »

It's not so clear that she is rejecting Catholicism. Many Catholics would agree with her "I refuse to be anti-" statements.

So would many Orthodox.  At least with a few of them.  Anyone who expects a Christian to automatically be anti-feminist, anti-artificial birth control, anti-Democrat (as if one party is any closer to the morality of the Church than the other), or anti-science is delusional.  It's illogical and unreasonable to create this false dichotomy between being socially/politically liberal on any issue at all and being a Christian.

Her definition of a Christian, and her characterization of how a Christian thinks and acts, seems to be extraordinarily narrow at best and straight up disingenuous at worst.  She's restricting herself to Christianity as defined by the talking heads on the far left and the far right, and that does all followers of Christ a great disservice.  I have to believe she knows better.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »

Perhaps she should have become an Episcopalian ...

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »

Anne Rice posted this (a response from a reader) on her facebook page:

Anne,

I want to tell you that I am revert as well. Thanks to people from EWTN and yourself I am back in the Church today. Without people like yourself and allowing God to work through you I fear where people like me would end up.

We need people writing and speaking of Christ every day. Loving Him and wanting to be with Him. That is what you did. I can remember when you said that you consecrated your writing to Christ. That raised such hope in me. My immediate response was, what could I consecrate to Christ? What could I give Him to show love? God working through you sparked that question inside me.

God has a special plan for each person. We decide if we want to follow Him or not. God has given you many Blessings and great responsibility and your reversion echoes throughout the land in a loud proclamation that God is real and He Loves us all.

In the end, you are right, Christians do suck. We are all terrible examples of what we are called to be. When we try to like Him, we fail and we will always fail, that is why we need Jesus. We need Him to save us through His Cross.

St Augustine says that the Church is not a museum for saints, but a hospital for sinners. We are all sick and we are yearning for the doctor (Christ). Keep your eye on Christ and His Blessed Mother and they will keep your near. You are very dear and precious to them. I will pray for you and perhaps we will both be united forever within the Holy Trinity and at that time I will thank you for your writings of Christ.

Viva Cristo Rey!

Dan Ritosa
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:02:15 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NorthernPines
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

The side discussion about "race" has been split off and can be found here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,29103.0.html

Northern Pines, Religious Topics Forum Moderator
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »

Perhaps she should have become an Episcopalian ...

That would have been a possibility if she had worked through these bizarre hang-ups she has about the word "Christian".

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 12:38:16 PM »

The cynic in me wonders the same thing.
My suspicions are here too; perhaps the Christian franchise was not lucrative enough.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »

Being controversial does put one back into the limelight, so I think that this might be the case, too...
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »

I thought this one-star review from Amazon.com of her last book - Called Out of Darkness: An Anne Rice Memoir seemed pretty insightful, especially taking this new event into account:

Anne Rice: Hypocrite A One Star Rating.

Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession? The subtitle is a misnomer; more apt subtitle: "A mercenary confession," i.e., "I did it for the money, honey." "Interview" was likely an experimentation with the erotica that she loved, coupled with the San Francisco hippie-era characters and academic community, which she knew would sell the book. After that, she never looked back.

I can't believe the glowing comments on this hypocrite's latest venal venture. Wolf in sheep's clothing and all that. She spent the first half of her life cleaning up financially writing erotica in the form of vampire books, bumped up a notch with the fairy tale BEAUTY series (under the pseudonym A. N. Roquelaure). She's intelligent and educated, and knew how to turn a phrase to appeal to the young, the gullible, the sexually repressed, the purely fantasy driven, the sexually infantile (or sophisticated, IF they read her work as a socially acceptable -- no one could fire or ostracize a reader of an author who appeared on Charlie Rose!).

Simply put: Anne Rice cleaned up on "the dark side," then switched and is now cleaning up on the "light" side. She is a HYPOCRITE. Anyone who can't see her sleight of hand needs to study magicians (stage variety), carnival folk, grifters, televangelists ("I've seeeeheen the light" -- sob, sob), "dry dunks," i.e., poorly adjusted recovering alcoholic/drug users ("before I took the pledge...").

Has considered that Anne and her late husband may have gotten off on her writings: write a chapter, play it out, write another chapter...etc. It happens -- all the time. It's been over ten years since her husband died and isn't around to "appreciate her work," so there's not the same impetus for the dark stuff but more a need to exercise her own erotic fantasies. Why is there spanking after spanking after spanking in the BEAUTY series? Either because that is her own personal fetish or, a strong possibility, she knows there's a HUGE market for titillating, well-written (for porn) spanking books, and/or both. I know what I'm talking about. Have been around the sex industry (not as a participant -- not that I'm against it -- just disinterested) for 25 years. Closeted and non-closeted is one of the most common fetishes: spankees and spankers abound.

Sales for books written during her so-called "dark" period were beginning to decline -- and it was becoming tiresome being in ruffly blouse-black velvet drag all the time -- so she left it behind and is now rapturously happy, having seen the light.

She's a classic, opportunistic, hypocritical, FLIP-FLOPPER.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »

I caught this interview on the radio this afternoon:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128930526
be forwarned she does discuss a topic not allowed on this forum

Proverbs 22:7
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

I listened to the interview, and as to be expected I heard an awful lot about Anne Rice and her feelings, her ideas and her decisions.

It just seems to me that as one moves closer to Christ, they are supposed to move further and further away from this sort of ego stroking.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:22:11 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »

Funny this topic should come up. I brought back a copy of Anne Rice's Christ the Lord; Out of Egypt fro m my parents' house a couple weeks ago and just started reading it last night.  I read the author's note first in the back of the book which described her being raised as a strict Roman Catholic, only to reject that later in her college years and then marries a devout atheist whom she remained married to for 40 years until he died of cancer or something.  In the author's note, I was amazed at how many times Anne Rice decried the skeptics of Christ and Christianity as being nothing more than a group of incoherent protesters lacking substance which makes me wonder what happened in the time since she wrote that book (I think it was 2006) to make her go back.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »

Funny this topic should come up. I brought back a copy of Anne Rice's Christ the Lord; Out of Egypt fro m my parents' house a couple weeks ago and just started reading it last night.  I read the author's note first in the back of the book which described her being raised as a strict Roman Catholic, only to reject that later in her college years and then marries a devout atheist whom she remained married to for 40 years until he died of cancer or something.  In the author's note, I was amazed at how many times Anne Rice decried the skeptics of Christ and Christianity as being nothing more than a group of incoherent protesters lacking substance which makes me wonder what happened in the time since she wrote that book (I think it was 2006) to make her go back.

It makes me wonder what she thought about her husband.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »

She would probably still agree with what she said about the skeptics of Christ, since she hasn't rejected Christ.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: