Author Topic: Stewardship  (Read 759 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Stewardship
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »
The answer to your question is "Nai", yes they are serious.  The Assembly composed of both lay and clergy obviously de-politicized the issue.  They rightly knew that it is to the Bishops to work out. 

Also I read the other Resolutions of this GOA General Assembly.  How refreshing that they are few in number, and irenic in tone.   

North American Autocephaly is barely on the radar; unity, on the other hand, is a bit more important, but at present is secondary to the usual inner-jurisdictional concerns (evangelism, mixed marriages, youth ministry, stewardship, etc.).

Can you explain me what 'stewardship' is?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Robert W

• Self-appointed forum herald
  • Elder
  • Love is no feeling
Re: Stewardship
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
Perhaps in this context it means "handling money and taking care of real estate"?  ;D ???

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:30:41 AM »
Stewardship, to me, means paying for the operation  of the church and managing church resources wisely. At my church, this mostly involves tithing. Other churches have festivals or large gifts from wealthy members. The problem I see with the last one is that, in some cases, people who give money expect to have a say in determining how it is used. Now, in some cases, this is their right. But, in other cases, this is, IMHO, interference. If you give for a specific purpose, you should see that purpose fulfilled, or the money should not be accepted. If you give money just to give money (and this should certainly be done), how it is used should be left up to the church authorities and the giver in this case should not expect power in return.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »
Thank you.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
The answer to your question is "Nai", yes they are serious.  The Assembly composed of both lay and clergy obviously de-politicized the issue.  They rightly knew that it is to the Bishops to work out. 

Also I read the other Resolutions of this GOA General Assembly.  How refreshing that they are few in number, and irenic in tone.   

North American Autocephaly is barely on the radar; unity, on the other hand, is a bit more important, but at present is secondary to the usual inner-jurisdictional concerns (evangelism, mixed marriages, youth ministry, stewardship, etc.).

Can you explain me what 'stewardship' is?

Quoted from the GOA Stewardship Ministries website:

Come and see God’s many blessings in your life. What is your response to His gifts? In gratitude and thanksgiving, you offer your time, talents and treasure in proportion to what you have been given.

Gregory the Theologian writes, “You will never overcome God’s generosity, even if you give away all that you have…. And however much you bring to him, always more remains. Nor will you give anything that is your own; for all things flow from God (Or 14.22).”

In the early Church, every person coming to the gathering of the Church brought everything they could spare for the needs of the Church. They provided for the sustenance of the clergy, widows and orphans, for helping the poor, and for all the good works of the Church. This is the Church that we as Orthodox Christians claim to be.

How much can your offering do for Christ? -Only as much as you empower it to do. It depends on your love, because we give to Christ and His Church not according to our means but according to our love for Him. We are called to love God with our entire being – our time, talents and treasury.