OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:44:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to Convert  (Read 6583 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

Hello everyone,

My real name isn't Vzldrb, but it's a name I made up for myself Tongue My real, actual name is Richard Henry. I wonder what it'll be changed too.... (It's such a Germanic name for a Slav... haha)

Henry IV Smiley

Seriously:  Many years!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:38:36 PM by Gamliel » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »

There are WRO Saints called Henry and Richard, so it shouldn't be a problem. I know one Priest named Henry.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »

There are WRO Saints called Henry and Richard, so it shouldn't be a problem. I know one Priest named Henry.
Ah, but i'm not WRO Smiley
Also, in yopur sig, is that Russian for "save Belarus" ?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »

As far as your Priest isn't an extremely close-minded cradle folk culture animator he should take it into account.

1st It's Belarusian, not Russian. 2nd It means "Long live Belarus!". Wink

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »

As far as your Priest isn't an extremely close-minded cradle folk culture animator he should take it into account.

1st It's Belarusian, not Russian. 2nd It means "Long live Belarus!". Wink

МИХАЈИЛО.....

БУДИ ПОНОСАН ДА СИ ПРАВСЛАВНИ ПОЉАК.......ЖИВИЛА ПРАВОСЛАВНА ПОЉСКА.,ЖИВИЛА ПРАВОСЛАВНА  БЕЛОРУССИЈА, ЖИВИЛА СВЕТА МАЈКА ПРАВОСЛАВНА РУССИЈА, ЖИВЕЛЕ СВЕ [ШИЦКO] ПРАВОСЛАВЕ ЗЕМЉЕ...... Grin Grin Grin

LONG LIFE TO ALL THE  ORTHODOX COUNTRIES......MAY THEY GROW SPIRITUALLY AND PROSPER IN HEALTH AND WEALTH .......AMEN AMEN.....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:37:14 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

mike, Why would you make a distinction by identifying WRO Saints? Either they're Orthodox saints or they aren't. They may be known better in the west, and that's perfectly acceptable. That even happens amongst the Eastern rite jurisdictions. I know exactly what you mean, and I'm just trying to avoid wording that has the potential of suggesting that "WRO Saints" are not the same as Eastern rite saints.
BTW, I know a priest named Geoffrey.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »

OK, sorry. I understand and, frankly, share your point.

On the other hand there are many Priests in Poland that don't use their baptismal names in secular life because their official names aren't the names of the Saints or their parents and they are not aware that Saints with such names existed.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »

I will. I was given a book by Father, and it was very good... It was called "Father Arseny". I read it in 3 days.

This sunday will be my third Sunday i've gone to Divine Liturgy.

If I may offer more book recommendations (assuming you haven't read them already): The Way of a Pilgrim and The Orthodox Way Smiley
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »

OK, sorry. I understand and, frankly, share your point.

On the other hand there are many Priests in Poland that don't use their baptismal names in secular life because their official names aren't the names of the Saints or their parents and they are not aware that Saints with such names existed.

That's very much the case here in North America, converts taking on new names even though they have already been given (and perhaps even baptized with) that are perfectly acceptable. It's just that saints of the West are less likely to be known, even here as eastern roots are so dominant. In fact, according to OrthodoxWiki, St David of Wales "was baptised by the Irish monk St. Elvis." I still haven't met a contemporary Orthodox Christian named Elvis!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2010, 02:16:35 AM »

The discussion about different usage of letters in Cyrillic alphabets was moved here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Puddleglum

Faith: quazi orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptist

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »

I have a problem which I need help. I grew up Protestant, After college, I joined an Evangelical Orthodox church (EOC) Recently, My wife and I moved to Texas. She likes the Baptist church we attend. I'm uncomfortable. I love Orthodoxy. The clostest church(Greek) is 45 minutes away and my wife won't go. S :-\he does go to the Baptist church occasionally(when she feels okay)The more I go to the Baptist church the more I feel estranged. I understand the importance and life in the Eucharist. Help.            

Vzldrb
Elder

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2010, 08:30:39 PM »

I have a problem which I need help. I grew up Protestant, After college, I joined an Evangelical Orthodox church (EOC) Recently, My wife and I moved to Texas. She likes the Baptist church we attend. I'm uncomfortable. I love Orthodoxy. The clostest church(Greek) is 45 minutes away and my wife won't go. S :-\he does go to the Baptist church occasionally(when she feels okay)The more I go to the Baptist church the more I feel estranged. I understand the importance and life in the Eucharist. Help.            

Why is this here?
More importantly, i think it is most important that you find a true orthodox church... I have never heard of "Evangelical orthodox" before, but i am a newbie.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »

Why is this here?
More importantly, i think it is most important that you find a true orthodox church... I have never heard of "Evangelical orthodox" before, but i am a newbie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_Orthodox_Church

Some of them joined the canonical EOC via the Antiochian Archdiocese. So it would be fair to say that they are "true Evangelical Orthodox" (at least from the mainstream Byzantine perspective).

On the other hand, some of them refused the union and maintained as the "Evangelical Orthodox Church".

So while you were incorrect in assuming that they don't exist, it is true that such a group may or may not be part the "true orthodox church".

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »

Where are you in TX?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Russell

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2010, 08:33:08 PM »

Have you looked at
http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

That help church locator helped me find my little parish

Mathe 24:36
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »

Hi Puddleglum, and welcome! It's preferable that your wife can come with you to Church, but it's not essential. Have you discussed your concerns with her? Perhaps you can alternate Sundays between going to the Baptists with her and going to the Orthodox church, with her or by yourself (as she chooses). 45 minutes is not a terribly long drive- some folks drive longer than that going to work every day. Good luck and may God aid you in your worthy search.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:15 AM »

Puddleglum,

Those of us who live in Texas and are Orthodox are used to traveling long distance to get to Church. I travel 55miles one way every Sunday and major feast days. I am actually 55 miles either North to a Greek Orthodox Church in Waco or 55 Miles south to An tiochian Orthodox Church. My city of  does not have an Orthodox Church at all. It will be tough for your wife to pass all thoses Texas Baptist Churches however if she goes with you to an Orthodox Church. We pass7 on the way to our church every7 Sunday, luckily we never had any interest in being Baptist.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: