OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you know of a parish
Where is a parish - 1 (100%)
What parish is like - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a particular parish or parishes.  (Read 429 times) Average Rating: 0
VintageCelt

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Carpatho Russian

« on: July 28, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »

Christ is with us!

I have been Orthodox since 2001.  It was a long journey.  MY last stop was in the Mennonite tradition.  I have had struggles with the difference between externally imposed ways of life as with the Mennonites and well I don't really have a term for the way the Orthodox would put it.  I would like it to be "an Orthodox way in Christ" I am not confused but people around me and my children want to say that I am caught in my Mennonite beliefs of proper modest dress, conduct and lifestyles. Until recently I have been alone in my orthodox life.  I came across an article at.  http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/dress_grooming.aspx .  It seems to express my understanding of this all very well.  However, as the Orthodox way is to be sure all things are as the entire church believes I decided to use these websites to help myself be clear on these issues.  So I am not just addressing how we dress.  Example, At my last parish my daughter stated that we should not celebrate halloween when it was brought into the parish and the sunday school teacher and priest insisted that its perfectly harmless and she was being extreme to say that.

So as a convert I do not care to past judgement but also do not want nominalism to rule the day where instructing my children and giving them teachings are concerned in there life in Christ.  We do not have an entire family or deep routes or a community about us deep in Orthodoxy.  I want to give them a sound and strong direction in addition to a good prayer and worship life.  It is not as in the Mennonite community that many of these issues were exampled before them within the commuinity.    It has been a struggle for them within the Orthodox community.

In the article the originator of the letter mentioned visiting a parish where the priest describe a parish of very modest dress and conduct.   Does anyone here know of any parishes that would fit this description?

All help appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:22:46 PM by VintageCelt » Logged
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »

I'm not exactly sure where you live so my advice would be to take a look at these websites to find parishes near you:

http://www.scoba.us/directory.html
orthodoxyinamerica.org

& then look to see if the parishes have pictures & see if they dress modestly. Or email the priests & see what they have to say. The websites sometimes are slow at updating their listings so I would try both of them just to be sure.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »

Welcome to the forum vintageCelt. 

I agree with searn, it really depends where you're located.
In Orthodoxy there simply aren't the same traditions as in the Mennonite community, and vice versa.  It may very well be unfortunate that we don't have pious communities living in close proximity, that's my personal opinion, but that shouldn't keep us from cultivating a microcosm of that idea in our own families.  I do hope that you find a parish that encourages your family in the ways that you need encouragement. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: