OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 10:09:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: confession....a "clean slate"?  (Read 697 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:46 PM »

Hello, all.  I was just wondering, when we are forgiven our sins at confession, I know that we must be truly sorry for them to be forgiven.  but, I am still a but....murky...when it comes to this.  I know that when father places the stole over my head and makes the sign of the cross, while reading the prayers of absolution, my sins are forgiven.  but, does this make them like they've never happened?  a truly "clean slate"?

also, if I forget a sin, but remember it (and that I forgot to confess it) after confession, was it forgiven when the sins I confessed were forgiven?

and, what does one do when he feels like he's not confessing enough?  I don't mean not going to confession on a regular basis, I just mean, I don't feel like I'm telling Father enough.  through reading Orthodox books, I've learned a bit about what qualifies as a sin.  I can pick things out, mostly in my thoughts, that are sinful.  but, my priest detests it when people make lists.  so, I forget what I pointed out to myself,  and, as I sit waiting to go to confession, I can only really remember like 2 or 3 sins from the past month!  I don't want the priest to think I'm not taking the sacrament seriously!

what are your thoughts on this?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »

I'd just like to add, I could probably fill up a small notebook in about a month!  Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »

Hello, all.  I was just wondering, when we are forgiven our sins at confession, I know that we must be truly sorry for them to be forgiven.  but, I am still a but....murky...when it comes to this.  I know that when father places the stole over my head and makes the sign of the cross, while reading the prayers of absolution, my sins are forgiven.  but, does this make them like they've never happened?  a truly "clean slate"?

Confession is like a second baptism, so yes it is a clean slate.

also, if I forget a sin, but remember it (and that I forgot to confess it) after confession, was it forgiven when the sins I confessed were forgiven?

Depending on how your confession is structured (it varies with the priest/jurisdiction) I know in some jurisdictions, the rubric for the penetant runs some like "...for these sins and for any I have forgotten, I am sorry." The priest will also say something similar in the absolution prayers.

and, what does one do when he feels like he's not confessing enough?  I don't mean not going to confession on a regular basis, I just mean, I don't feel like I'm telling Father enough.  through reading Orthodox books, I've learned a bit about what qualifies as a sin.  I can pick things out, mostly in my thoughts, that are sinful.  but, my priest detests it when people make lists.  so, I forget what I pointed out to myself,  and, as I sit waiting to go to confession, I can only really remember like 2 or 3 sins from the past month!  I don't want the priest to think I'm not taking the sacrament seriously!

This is really something that should be addressed with your priest.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »

I Noticed when i go to confession, my mind goes blank,like he said above, i only remember 1 maybe 3 sins...So I tell the priest i broke all the 10 commandments ...If we break one we've broken them all as the Lord tells us in Holy Scriptures ......And Just to be on the safe side..... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »

At the end of Confession, the priest usually says, "As for the sins you have confessed today have no further care of them for God has forgiven you." The sins are forgiven. There's a clean slate. But the consequences of our sins--remembrance of them, proclivity to sin, temptation--they still may remain, but this is for our help. God wants us to fight, to realize our weakness and rely on Him. That way, we become closer to Him.

As Abba Paul the Simple said so simply, "Keep close to Jesus." We do that in Confession and afterward, in our repentance, when we strive not only not to sin but to make some progress in acquiring virtue.

If it helps to write your sins down, do so, and burn it afterward. There are a couple Canons of repentance that can be read prior to confession. I find it also helps to just sit quietly and resolve what you are going to say, how you are going to accuse yourself, "I have sinned by..."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »

...my priest detests it when people make lists.  ...

Oh, dear, that does make it a little tougher.    I keep my list on my cell phone and use that during confession. Can you bring a copy of the 10 commandments in with you, and then go through them -- using that to help you remember the different sins?  If you have access to the little red prayer book, it goes through the 10 commandments, with questions that address specific ways each commandment may have been broken.  If you went through these questions ahead of time, and then had the copy of the 10 commandments with you to refer to and jog your memory, would that work for your priest?  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:44:05 PM by Thankful » Logged

kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »

First and foremost if a list is what you need to be able to remember those things you've done and are carrying, don't worry about if it 'peeves' your priest.  The objective is to confess before God sacramentally those ways that you've wronged Him.  Don't let your priests tastes determine this.
And yes, burn that list afterward.

Second, sins may at times be repented in confession multiple times as you receive healing from them.  If a sin is confessed in one capacity it may continue to effect you in another.  I'm weary of giving examples so I know this could be confusing.  Ask a priest who wants you to confess your sins, not just receive absolution.  As a matter of fact.  I think that's my main response. 
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »

1. Yes, it's a clean slate.

2. God is not a vindictive hallway monitor who's out to get us. There's no Divine "haha, gotcha" if you forget something in confession. What God wants is sincere repentance. If you forget something in confession, do not worry about whether you are forgiven or not. God's grace is sufficient to cover all your sins, and even your forgetfulness. That said, I've heard it said you should mention the sin you forgot in your next confession.

You should ask God in prayer to help you remember your sins and sorrow over them and to give you sincere repentance. But if you "accidentally" forget something, I don't think God is going to hold it against you. Just never willfully conceal anything on your conscience during confession.

3. I had a priest that disliked lists as well, though he sometimes indulged me lol. The main reason he didn't like the lists is that he was concerned people were being "scrupulous" and not repentant - there is a difference. He was encouraging the people to see sin less as a legalistic transgressing of moral rules and regulations and more as breaking communion with/forgetfulness of/ingratitude to God (and lack of love for neighbors). I think overall he was doing a good thing by discouraging lists, as they can encourage people to take a Pharisaical approach to confession and repentance. But then again sometimes we need lists and laws as a "school master"; but our focus should always be on loving God. If we are falling short of that, we are "missing the mark", sinning.

4. You can also ask your priest in confession, "father, I am having trouble remembering my sins, can you help me?" It may also be helpful in general to talk to your priest about what he feels makes a good confession, and if he has any advice for you about this sacrament.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 12:20:20 PM »

...my priest detests it when people make lists.  ...

Oh, dear, that does make it a little tougher.    I keep my list on my cell phone and use that during confession. Can you bring a copy of the 10 commandments in with you, and then go through them -- using that to help you remember the different sins?  If you have access to the little red prayer book, it goes through the 10 commandments, with questions that address specific ways each commandment may have been broken.  If you went through these questions ahead of time, and then had the copy of the 10 commandments with you to refer to and jog your memory, would that work for your priest?  
yes, The Little Red Prayer Book is indeed a valueable resource for every Orthodox Christian!  I just love reading it before Confession.  we also got one through donations from parishoner's called "if we confess our sins".  I recommend it to all who have my problem aswell.

Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: