OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:54:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An article I wrote regarding the veneration of the Saints  (Read 421 times) Average Rating: 0
Mister Jim Dude

Faith: Protestant - Church of the Nazarene
Jurisdiction: The West

« on: July 28, 2010, 04:34:19 AM »

Hello,
I would love to hear people's opinion on a blog post I wrote, drawing a parallel between the honor we give to fallen war heroes and the veneration of the saints. I know I am not Orthodox (yet) but I think I might have gotten it right. If there is anything, unorthodox about the article, let me know and I will change it.

http://orthodoxyorbust.blogspot.com/2010/07/taking-chance-and-veneration-of-saints.html

thanks, Jim

http://orthodoxyorbust.podomatic.com/entry/2012-06-16T04_03_39-07_00
my podcast about my journey towards Orthodoxy!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 07:06:02 AM »

It's a great article but..... do you want to hear the buts?   Smiley

Don't be so reticent about the way we relate to the Mother of God and the Saints.  We do not only ask them to intercede for us.  We pray to them directly, asking them to help and to heal.  If we look at any services to the Mother of God or the Saints we see this direct prayer to them very clearly.

One example from literally hundreds, from the Akathist to the Mother of God Healer of Cancer...

"O Most-Pure Mother of God, O Queen of All! Hearken unto our much-afflicted sighing before Thy miraculous Icon, brought to Russia from the land of Athos. Look upon Thy children, suffering from unhealed ailments, who fall down before Thy holy image with faith! As a bird covers its nestlings with its wings, so do Thou now, who art ever present, cover us with Thy greatly healing mantle."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:07:35 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »

I really like the analogy to the fallen Marine. You did indeed write a very doctrinally sound article on the Theotokos. I would leave it at that for the moment.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »

This may be an informative thread....

Praying to the Saints

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25351.0.html
Tags: Praying to the Saints intercession 
Pages: 1   Go Up