OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 10:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augustine as Baptismal Name  (Read 862 times) Average Rating: 0
Taylor

Faith: Orthodox

« on: July 27, 2010, 07:45:38 PM »

Hello,

I am a catechumen who will soon (at least in an Orthodox frame of time Wink ) be baptized.  I need to choose a baptismal name, and I was wondering if it is acceptable to take "Augustine" as a baptismal name.  I ask because I know some Orthodox do not consider him to be a saint, and I personally have never heard of anyone taking his name for their baptismal name.  Reading Augustine's Confessions was the conversion experience for me (I was never Christian before), and so I have always felt very close to him.

Thank you
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »

Hello,

I am a catechumen who will soon (at least in an Orthodox frame of time Wink ) be baptized.  I need to choose a baptismal name, and I was wondering if it is acceptable to take "Augustine" as a baptismal name.  I ask because I know some Orthodox do not consider him to be a saint, and I personally have never heard of anyone taking his name for their baptismal name.  Reading Augustine's Confessions was the conversion experience for me (I was never Christian before), and so I have always felt very close to him.

Thank you

It's perfect, Augustine is most definitely a Saint! Wink
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »

Hello,

Thank you
It's a perfectly Orthodox name. The Orthodox that don't consider him a Saint do so because of some anti-Western bias or they judge his theological errors as a rejection of his sanctity. If I was not born with a Christian name I would have taken either Ambrose or Augustine. St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco composed a service to St. Augustine.

Have you read the book on St. Augustine by Blessed Seraphim of Platina? If not, you can find it here. I am currently reading it and I love it. Blessed Augustine was a big inspiration for Blessed Seraphim, too. I pray God will bless you as you prepare to enter His Church!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »

There's a very traditional bishop in Greece, and a departed Athonite elder who shared St. Augustine's name. St. John of San Francisco celebrated his feast day. St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain added his feast day to the calendar, along with St. Jerome. Many Orthodox holy fathers have honored him as is meet. It is true, his theology has errors and problems arose after his death with those who discounted those who corrected his errors, but St. Augustine of Hippo is an Orthodox saint.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »

Yes, his feast day in 15 June. It is perfectly acceptable to choose him as your patron saint.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
visitor

Jurisdiction: Let's just leave it at a Canonical one, okay?

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »

Just as in English we only say "St." Bede out of laziness when referring to Bede the Venerable, Augustine of Hippo is known in Orthodoxy as "Blessed Augustine."

Are there any other figures in the calendar of movable feasts who have published their "confessions" in such excruciating detail? For my part, I'm not even sure that I would recommend Augustine's Confessions as Church literature at all! The City of God, might be another story, I don't know. I have never read it in full (few do), and it's been a long time since I read any excerpts. He wrote polemics against the Manichaeans too--interesting sect.

But compare those offerings with say, The Ladder of Divine Ascent... Huge difference.

Are any miracles attributed to Blessed Augustine? I mean in the Orthodox Church.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:10:24 PM »

Dear Taylor,

At least one Greek bishop is named for Saint Augustine -Bishop Augustine of Florina, a conservative curmudgeon of a bishop who forbids nude bathing on Greek beaches.

Btw, a common form of the name of Augustine in England is Austin.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:46 PM »

Dear Taylor,

At least one Greek bishop is named for Saint Augustine -Bishop Augustine of Florina, a conservative curmudgeon of a bishop who forbids nude bathing on Greek beaches.

Many years to the holy bishop! May God grant him to live forever and crush his enemies under his feet!

Edited quoting tags, mike.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:19:39 AM by mike » Logged

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:30:27 PM »

Dear Taylor,

Many years to the holy bishop! May God grant him to live forever and crush his enemies under his feet!

Whoops! Sorry, Father, that looked like it was coming from you. I apologize.

The same as above, mike.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:19:25 AM by mike » Logged

scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »

Just as in English we only say "St." Bede out of laziness when referring to Bede the Venerable, Augustine of Hippo is known in Orthodoxy as "Blessed Augustine."

Are there any other figures in the calendar of movable feasts who have published their "confessions" in such excruciating detail? For my part, I'm not even sure that I would recommend Augustine's Confessions as Church literature at all! The City of God, might be another story, I don't know. I have never read it in full (few do), and it's been a long time since I read any excerpts. He wrote polemics against the Manichaeans too--interesting sect.

But compare those offerings with say, The Ladder of Divine Ascent... Huge difference.

Are any miracles attributed to Blessed Augustine? I mean in the Orthodox Church.

Your analysis of St. Augustine is wrong, pure and simple.  He is an Orthodox saint. 

His Confessions are purely Orthodox and I challenge you to name me one other church father who preaches the life of repentance as much as he!  As for your assertion that no one else on the calendar has any confessions, I would disagree.  have you ever read St. Ephraim the Syrian's Spiritual Psalter?  augustine's Confessions is the microcosm of the Christian life.  St. Ephraim the Syrian's Spiritual Psalter is autobiographical though he never mentions his own name, but it too is the microcosm of the Christian life.

What difference does it make if any miracles are attributed to St. Augustine?  Not every saint has miracles attributed to him.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »

St Augustine of Hippo is not the only Orthodox saint by that name. There are several others, including Augustine of Canterbury, two pre-schism western European saints, a Russian new-martyr, and a female martyr (Augustina).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:22:53 PM by LBK » Logged
visitor

Jurisdiction: Let's just leave it at a Canonical one, okay?

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:11:43 AM »

{I don't know what happened here. There was some kind of glitch. What I wrote was lost, and what someone else wrote appeared in its place. I'm sure that I did something wrong... Oh well. Better luck next time.}

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:27:18 AM by visitor » Logged
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 02:53:48 PM »

St. Bede is also an Orthodox Saint, commemorated May 27th.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »

The philosopher from North Africa was not the only early saint named Augustine!

Every English Christian probably knows that the Angles were converted thanks to efforts of St. Augustine of Canterbury, the Apostle of the English who reposed in the Lord in 598 AD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Canterbury

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02081a.htm

http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/augustin.htm

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: