OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Directory  (Read 1209 times) Average Rating: 0
Pleebloo

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:21 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some research on Orthodox jurisdictions in the U.S., and I am having trouble finding a complete directory for the Ethiopian Orthodox churches here.  I am aware that there are two different Ethiopian jurisdictions, as well as several parishes that don't belong to either.  But I can't even find a complete directory for any one of the jurisdictions.  The closest thing I've found is this:

http://www.eotc.faithweb.com/dire.html

But it is VERY incomplete.  I lived in DC for a number of years, and I know that the number of Ethiopian Orthodox churches there is much closer to 13 than to the 5 listed in that directory.

I can't even find web sites for any of the Ethiopian dioceses in the U.S., other than the Ethiopian Holy Synod in Exile.  But their web site has no parish directory.

Any ideas on how to get a complete directory?  Or at least how to contact the various dioceses to get partial directories from each of them?

Thanks for the help!

-Andrew
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:23:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

I really don't know of any directory that is more complete than what you linked.  Hopefully someone will be able to give some additional information.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:29:25 PM »

I've found that Ethiopian and Eritrean congregations in the US are the most difficult of Oriental churches to get directories and locational information on.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Pleebloo

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:21:24 PM »

Deusveritasest,

The Eritreans at least have a complete directory on their web site, although for most of the churches, it only gives the name and city:

http://tewahdo.org/Diocese/Diocese%20Churches.html

-Andrew
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »

Deusveritasest,

The Eritreans at least have a complete directory on their web site, although for most of the churches, it only gives the name and city:

http://tewahdo.org/Diocese/Diocese%20Churches.html

-Andrew

Oh. Thanks for the information.  Smiley

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
mugwandia

Faith: orthodox

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »

Hi my name is deacon mugwandia of the ethiopian orthodox Tewahido church i am a kenyan ethiopian studying theology in the Holy trinity theological college addis ababa. i joined the site recently. The issue of a directory is a little bit complicated since the existing one is actually written in amharic language. i am currently in kenya but i can give you a mail of someone who might be of help. He is a lecturer at the college his name is Dr joachim Persoon mail address is Email removed - mike.
hope you get assistance
blessings of our lady Maryam

Welcome to the forum! I removed the email address as it could be found by spammers. I recommend all interested to PM mugwandia to get it - mike, the "Night Watchman" moderator
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:37:24 PM by mike » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:04 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Deacon Mugwandia!   Smiley

Elijah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Tewahedo

God is love; be faithful un to death.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »

Hi my name is deacon mugwandia of the ethiopian orthodox Tewahido church i am a kenyan ethiopian studying theology in the Holy trinity theological college addis ababa. i joined the site recently. The issue of a directory is a little bit complicated since the existing one is actually written in amharic language. i am currently in kenya but i can give you a mail of someone who might be of help. He is a lecturer at the college his name is Dr joachim Persoon mail address is Email removed - mike.
hope you get assistance

Welcome to the forum! I removed the email address as it could be found by spammers. I recommend all interested to PM mugwandia to get it - mike, the "Night Watchman" moderator
I am glad to hear you are learning theology in the college. How are things going up there? What do you mean by Kenyan Ethiopian? Do you know amharic/Geez?

Holy Mary, You are the ladder of life. St. Yared
My sons/daughters, come and I will teach you the fear of God. Christ is light.
He watches everything high; He is the king  even over those in the water. Eyob 41:25
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »

hope you get assistance

Welcome to the forum, Deacon Mugwandia!  Smiley

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »

Yes. Welcome Deacon Mugwandia!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
ndigila

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Alexandria (Archdiocese of Kenya)

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »

What do you mean by Kenyan Ethiopian?
A Kenyan citizen of Ethiopian descent maybe?

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »

I think the brother means that he is a Kenyan living and studying in Ethiopia.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church church directories 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: