OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 15, 2014, 11:47:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concluding Theotokia at Great Vespers on 4th class feasts that occur on Sunday  (Read 571 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: July 26, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »

OK, Liturgical gurus, here's another one for you.  This past Sunday (July 25) for the Dormition of St. Anna and this coming Sunday (Aug. 1) for the Procession of the Holy Cross, both fourth class feasts, why, after chanting the Resurrectional Apolytikion in the tone of the week, is Glory...both/now chanted with the apolytikion of the feast and no concluding theotokion following?  So, for this sunday (Aug. 1), we will chant "While the stone was sealed", followed by Glory/both now and then "O Lord, Save Thy people."  Why wouldn't the Theotokion "When Gabriel cried to thee, O virgin" follow after that?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »

My Typikon states: Troparion of the Resurrection, Glory..., Troparion of the Feast, Now and ever..., Festive Theotokion in the tone of the Feast's Troparion. This agree with the Antioch Diocese of the West Typikon chart.  So you are correct.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »

The weekly notes published online by the Antiochian Archdiocese also agree with you.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »

OK, Liturgical gurus, here's another one for you.  This past Sunday (July 25) for the Dormition of St. Anna and this coming Sunday (Aug. 1) for the Procession of the Holy Cross, both fourth class feasts, why, after chanting the Resurrectional Apolytikion in the tone of the week, is Glory...both/now chanted with the apolytikion of the feast and no concluding theotokion following?  So, for this sunday (Aug. 1), we will chant "While the stone was sealed", followed by Glory/both now and then "O Lord, Save Thy people."  Why wouldn't the Theotokion "When Gabriel cried to thee, O virgin" follow after that?

Some Apolytikion are actually Theotokion or do not get a Theotokion. St. Anna being the mother to the Theotokos refers to the Theotokos in the Apolytikion so therefore there is no need for a Theotokion. The Troparion of the Cross (along with other major feast of the Lord) do not get Theotokion.

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »

Some Apolytikion are actually Theotokion or do not get a Theotokion. St. Anna being the mother to the Theotokos refers to the Theotokos in the Apolytikion so therefore there is no need for a Theotokion. The Troparion of the Cross (along with other major feast of the Lord) do not get Theotokion.

This is the Greek practice as well.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »

The weekly notes published online by the Antiochian Archdiocese also agree with you.

the notes I get every week are from the protopsaltis of the Diocese of Wichita and he has Bishop BASIL's blessing to do this.  In fact, we have been told on numerous occasions by his Grace that the notes on the Antiochian Archdiocese are so frequently littered with errors that we are to ignore them and use the typicon notes we receive from Wichita as the norm.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:21:22 PM »

the notes I get every week are from the protopsaltis of the Diocese of Wichita and he has Bishop BASIL's blessing to do this.  In fact, we have been told on numerous occasions by his Grace that the notes on the Antiochian Archdiocese are so frequently littered with errors that we are to ignore them and use the typicon notes we receive from Wichita as the norm.
You stated what I hesitated to mention. I have no formal training in liturgics, but even I can spot plenty of errors in those notes. I check other sources when I suspect things to be out of whack. In any case, my priest always sends out his own notes (often after I've made some suggestions - usually based on what our small group of chanters/choir is able to do), so he takes the final responsibility for what actually happens on Sunday morning. I think the Archdiocese just pulls up a template of some kind, perhaps from the equivalent week of a preceding year and doesn't always do a thorough check. However, I have found that things have been somewhat better in the last few months. Since our own bishop hasn't given explicit instructions on these matters, my priest prefers to defer to the Archdiocese unless it's something obviously out of place. Then there are contradictions as well - for example, the liturgical notes will refer to one particular troparion, but when you go to the Sacred Music page, something different is provided with a clear note that this is what is to be used on such and such a date. Frustrating!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »

You stated what I hesitated to mention. I have no formal training in liturgics, but even I can spot plenty of errors in those notes. I check other sources when I suspect things to be out of whack. In any case, my priest always sends out his own notes (often after I've made some suggestions - usually based on what our small group of chanters/choir is able to do), so he takes the final responsibility for what actually happens on Sunday morning. I think the Archdiocese just pulls up a template of some kind, perhaps from the equivalent week of a preceding year and doesn't always do a thorough check. However, I have found that things have been somewhat better in the last few months. Since our own bishop hasn't given explicit instructions on these matters, my priest prefers to defer to the Archdiocese unless it's something obviously out of place. Then there are contradictions as well - for example, the liturgical notes will refer to one particular troparion, but when you go to the Sacred Music page, something different is provided with a clear note that this is what is to be used on such and such a date. Frustrating!
Let us keep this discussion on topic. Everyone who uses these sources is well aware of their shortfalls and complaining about it here does no good.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: