OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 12:57:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who is the first to commune?  (Read 22724 times) Average Rating: 0
mildert
Deacon Philip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »

I was offered once to participate in 'finishing' the Eucharist after It had been taken back to the altar. I was 6 - 8.

I have only seen the Priest do this. Who is allowed to handle the chalice?

It is the "job" of the (most junior) Deacon to consume the gifts and cleanse the Chalice, if no Deacon is present then it is the Priest who does this.

Normally only Deacons, Priests and Bishops can touch the Chalice and Diskos.

In XC,

Deacon Philip

In XC,

Deacon Philip
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 01:16:52 PM »

I was offered once to participate in 'finishing' the Eucharist after It had been taken back to the altar. I was 6 - 8.

I have only seen the Priest do this. Who is allowed to handle the chalice?

It might have been "uncanonical" a bit.

Or, your participation may have been to read the prayers of Thanksgiving; I've seen that happen before, where young men of the parish are invited to read the prayers of Thanksgiving for the priest/deacon as he consumes, both as a service to the clergyman, and also to expose the fellow to the beauty of the prayers.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: