OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 01:00:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Approach"/"Processional" Psalms  (Read 646 times) Average Rating: 0
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: July 25, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »

Our priest recently made reference to particular psalms historically read when people were walking to church or something along those lines.

Can anyone better articulate or explain to me what I'm talking about?

Which psalms are they and what are they actually called.

If this has been covered somewhere forgive me I didn't know how to begin searching for this subject.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:46:13 PM »

Our priest recently made reference to particular psalms historically read when people were walking to church or something along those lines.

Can anyone better articulate or explain to me what I'm talking about?

If this has been covered somewhere forgive me I didn't know how to begin searching for this subject.

The beginning of the DL before the Little Entrance (which was when the clergy etc. entered the Church) was orginally done on the way to Church. "Through the Prayers of the Theotokos," and "O Son of God" were the refrains between the verses of the Psalms.  They are now the Antiophons of the DL. the Pslams are 91, 92, 94, 102, 145.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:02:35 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
kansas city

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

The antiphons in the DL are variable though aren't they?
kansas city

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »

I think what I'm looking for is Psalms 94-96 or 97... Maybe the whole twelfth Kathisma. I still don't know.

If anyone knows then please clue me in.

Interestingly, this thread is one of the few where a simple "Ask your priest" would be the best answer.

Unfortunately it would not be the best option.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »

I think what I'm looking for is Psalms 94-96 or 97... Maybe the whole twelfth Kathisma. I still don't know.

Interestingly, this thread is one of the few where a simple "Ask your priest" would be the best answer.

Unfortunately it would not be the best option.

Pm..Fr.Deacon Nebojsa serb 1389...He Knows All this stuff  ,he could fill you in.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »

And?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
kansas city

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:35:26 PM »

And?

Thanks though sweetheart.

They're particular psalms.  I think that he said there were three that were historically read in procession to the church.   
kansas city

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »

Pm..Fr.Deacon Nebojsa serb 1389...He Knows All this stuff  ,he could fill you in.... Grin

Thanks I will
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »

There are also processional psalms known as Songs of Ascent, which are sung at Matins before the prokeimenon which precedes the Matins Gospel reading. The best-known one is From my youth (Ps. 128), sung on Sundays and feasts.
Subdeacon Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 03:55:44 AM »

My understanding is essentially what ialmisry has said.  The Lesser Entrance was quite literally the entrance of the clergy and people (and emperor, at Agia Sofia) into the church, and was the culmination of a grand procession during which psalms 91, 92, and 94 would be sung (although I have been taught that psalms 102 and 145, along with the Beatitudes, were a much later importation into the Liturgy from the Typika).  What we have today is a situation in which the processional antiphons are still sung but the procession has been reduced to the servers and clergy, who by this point are already in the altar, processing out of the altar near the end of the processional antiphons, only to go back in again moments later to the singing of the Come, let us worship, so the Entrance is not a true entrance at all.  While the Lesser Entrance may no longer be functional, it is still in some ways the proper beginning of the Liturgy, and is rich in symbolism which is best seen at the hierarchical Liturgy, (which is the closest that we have today to the earlier form).

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
kansas city

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »

"Songs of Ascent"

The Eighteenth Kathisma, Ps. 119-133 according to the Septuagint

Thank you everyone.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: