OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:12:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am in Ukraine again!  (Read 661 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: July 25, 2010, 04:37:09 AM »

Dear all,

As some of you - particularly my FB friends - know, my wife Lesya and I are in Ukraine till Aug. 1.

We had been staying in Lesya's hometown, Luts'k; then I went to my hometown, Kyiv, leaving Lesya for another week to stay with her relatives. She will join me here in Kyiv next week's Tuesday.

My biggest impression so far is a small Ukrainian Orthodox parish here in Kyiv, called Holy Archangel Gabriel parish. It has an unusual loction. They do not have a church building of their own, because the two priests, and the deacons, and some of the parishioners are working at a major Ukrainian TV channel, called "Glas" ("The Voice"), - the official television network of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. So, their parish is right inside the building where the Glas has its studios, cutting rooms, etc. It is a story of a huge, immense modernistic skyscraper in the Pechers'k district of Kyiv. The parish meets for services in the annex, which is equipped and decorated just like any Orthodox church in the world: it has icons, the iconostasis, murals, lampstands with lampads and candles, itc.

I was stunned by their choir. It's just four women and two men, but their singing was divine. It was powerful and nonetheless very tender and refined. They have a deep, rare culture of singing.

I took a lot of pictures of the churches and buildings and parks and of various funnyy scenes in the two Ukrainian cities I mentioned. Will be happy to share them with you soon.

George

(P.S. Yes, I am a Ukrainian nationalist, and yet I visited a UOC parish. UOC is, in a way, an "enemy territory" to me, because it is autonomous on paper only, being in fact a part of the Moscow Patriarchy, and sometimes backing up Russian chauvunism and imperialism. However, the priest of the Holy Arch. Gabriel parish is a very pleasant man and does not impress me as a Russian chauvinist at all. The service in the parish was mostly in Slavonic, only a small part of the Litany of Great supplication read in Ukrainian. The sermon was in Russian - alas.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:38:45 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 06:47:23 PM »

May you have a safe a blessed trip! Looking forward to the pictures. Smiley

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »

Do you know what's going on over here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28988.0.html (What is Going On Here?)

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:17:07 AM »

buy me a Milos Ninkovic Dinamo Kiev jersey!!  angel angel not only will I re-imburse you, but I can uhhh... return the favour?

Have a good trip bratko!

edit: or what's left of it, that is. Have a safe trip back.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:17:48 AM by Sloga » Logged

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:38:29 AM »

I see you describe yourself as a Ukrainian nationalist.  Are you thinking of taking part in these protests?

http://www.kyivpost.com/news/nation/detail/75344/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »

Heorhij!

Breath some good Ukrainian air for me!

Many of our parishioners have gone to Ukraine this summer!  It's THE place to be!

Many of our "new" immigrant families take their children to Ukraine and leave them there for the summer with their grandparents, etc.  Now THAT would be a summer camp!

I've only been once...and only dream of going back some day!

Have fun! 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IreneOlinyk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »

I see you describe yourself as a Ukrainian nationalist.  Are you thinking of taking part in these protests?

Fr. Ambrose here is an objective journal article about what is happening in Ukraine and how Ukrainians feel about the political actions of a religious leader like Patr. Kirill"
Moscow Patriarch’s Visit to Ukraine Proving Counterproductive

JULY 24, 2010
Paul Goble
Staunton, July 23 -- Patriarch Kirill’s current visit to Ukraine is having the opposite effect he intends.
Instead of generating pressure for an end to the independent Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the Russian church leader’s latest visit is in fact “provoking the growth of autocephalous attitudes” in Ukraine, according to an expert on religious affairs.
In a commentary on Portal-credo.ru, Aleksey Malyutin argues that Kirill does not understand that his repeated visits to Ukraine and his use of terms denigrating the independence of that country and its religious communities are having “exactly the opposite” impact the Russian patriarch intends (www.portal-credo.ru/site/?act=comment&id=1769).
It is one thing for Orthodox people in Ukraine “to have the Patriarch as a banner and symbol far away,” Malyutin says, but it is “an entirely different thing to constantly have to cope with his administrative interference,” the scandals involving his limousines and security details, and his “unsuccessful political declarations.”...

http://georgiandaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19463&Itemid=72

The rest of the newsreport was removed in order to be OK with the new board policy on posting the news articles and can be found by clicking on the link above.

mike - 'Night Watchman' Moderator
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:24:01 PM by mike » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 01:22:53 PM »

I wouldn't describe anything on Russia from Georgian sources as 'objective'.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 03:35:20 AM »

I see you describe yourself as a Ukrainian nationalist.  Are you thinking of taking part in these protests?

Father, no, but I took part in the Khresna Khoda of the UAOC to the grave of Patr. Volodymyr (Romanyuk).

Love never fails.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 05:48:39 AM »

Fr. Ambrose here is an objective journal article about what is happening in Ukraine and how Ukrainians feel about the political actions of a religious leader like Patr. Kirill"
Moscow Patriarch’s Visit to Ukraine Proving Counterproductive

JULY 24, 2010
Paul Goble
Staunton, July 23 -- Patriarch Kirill’s current visit to Ukraine is having the opposite effect he intends

http://georgiandaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19463&Itemid=72

Goble has been discussed before on one of the clergy lists.   Someone from
VOA wrote that Goble is a russophobe and delights in dredging up everything
negative on the Russian Church.

Malyutin writes for Portal-credo.ru which is run by a schismatic group whose
attitude to the Church of Russia and to Orthodoxy in general can most kindly
be descibed as malicious.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:52:57 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: