OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wish he were Orthodox  (Read 1894 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: February 18, 2004, 01:23:03 PM »

Interview with Fr. Boyle who is a Jesuit priest who has worked with gangs in East Los Angeles since 1986.

--

I heard this interview driving home yesterday on the radio.
Click on the link below to listen.

http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=02/17/2004

P.S. Br. Max. -- you should go spend some time with this guy.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 02:19:07 PM »

But, TomΣ, all Orthodox are called to be saints! Nothing stopping us from taking his lead, is there?

Anyway, you don't really think our Br.Max listens to the "Nationalist Peoples Radio", do you?

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 02:32:59 PM »

But, TomΣ, all Orthodox are called to be saints! Nothing stopping us from taking his lead, is there?

You are right! It's just too bad that the Orthodox are not known for this type of "reaching out".

I am not saying that it does not occur. It just seems that even the IOCC focuses more on OUTSIDE the US than here at home.

Why is that?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:29:06 PM »

Well, TomΣ, perhaps the 'International " part of I.O.C.C. gives a hint to that, my good friend.
Point is- it's up to us, you and me, to do something here. Archbishop Anastasios in Albania gives us a good role model, no?
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 12:24:55 AM »

Come here to Philadelphia and I'll introduce you to Father Stephen Siniari who is an OCA priest at Sts Peter & Paul's  (OCA-Albanian Archdiocese)

Prior to coming to Philly Fr Stephen had a mission parish at the Jersey shore.  He used to spend his evenings walking the boardwalk helping the teen runawys by counselling them and providing food and shelter for them.  Trying to get them off drugs and prostitution.  There was once a write up in the Atlantic City newspaper regarding an incident where he crawled under the boardwalk to comfort and try and coax a young teenage girl out for medical attention.  She had just given birth to a still born child and refused to give it up!

Here in Philly he spends every night walking the streets near K&A doing the same thing.  He has helped countless teenage prostitutes (both male & female) straighten out there lives.  Every pimp and drug dealer in that area knows him.  Some even respect him.  While others have cursed him, threatened him, shot at him, and tried to run him over.  But still he goes out every night.  He also has a full time job at Covenant House.

In Philly we also have Father Mark Shinn who made the news a few years back when his van was car jacked.  He was kidnapped and beaten as he attempted to enter his van.  Rolled in a rug and taken over to Jersey where he was dumped and shot at.  He saved his life by playing dead.  Once his captor left he crawled on hands and knees to get help.  His captor was caught and Father Mark refused to press charges.  His captor was put in prison for other offenses.  Father Mark continues to visit him on a regular basis.  They have become the best of friends.  And I heard a rumor his captor has converted to Orthodoxy but I can't confirm this nor deny it.

We have many priests as the above two, they just don't make the news.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 08:57:51 AM »

That's good to hear, Orthodoc. They need to get more exposure in the mass media.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: