OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:48:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atkins diet?  (Read 3102 times) Average Rating: 0
Karamazov
Elder

« on: February 12, 2004, 09:36:30 PM »

Anyone going on the Atkins diet for Lent? Wink
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 10:07:56 PM »

Anyone going on the Atkins diet for Lent? Wink

Actually, my choir director just started it.  Someone else I know is on the related South Beach diet.  Choir Director says that it is still possible, but very difficult.
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:29:03 PM »

It's a "meat and cheese" thing, Elisha!  (a subtle Canadian-style humorous jab.  Perhaps too subtle?)
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 02:42:04 PM »

There is a vegetarian version of "The Zone Diet" It's called "The Soy Zone".  It's yet another low carb diet.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 03:50:38 PM »

There is a vegetarian version of "The Zone Diet" It's called "The Soy Zone".  It's yet another low carb diet.  

However, compared to Atkins et al, the Zone is much more balanced with the percentages of calories coming from Carbs, Fats, and  Proteins being 40-30-30% respectively.  

The Mediterranean Diet is a very good one.  It has much less emphasis on animal products than either Zone or Atkins.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 06:35:48 PM »

Just a warning for anyone considering these diets.  I went on the South Beach Diet about three weeks ago.  I'd put on about 5 pounds over Christmas.  I lost the 5 pounds in five days.  It's definitely effective, although I still don't understand how I lost weight so fast.  But I got extremely sick on day 6 of what is known as "phase 1."  I didn't give up Caffeine as is recommended.  That morning I had my routine Diet Dr. Pepper and had some weird blood sugar reaction.  It turns out that caffeine can stimulate insulin or something like that.  I don't totally understand what happened to me.  All I know is that I won't try such a drastic low carb diet again.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »

All I know is that I won't try such a drastic low carb diet again.  

Nor should you.  The Mediterranean diet mentioned above is very balanced, with an emphasis on the good carbs (and a fair amount of them!) and the right kind of fats.

The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 09:02:13 PM »

Where can we find more info on the Mediterranean Diet?
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 10:16:38 AM »

http://www.cheshire-med.com/services/dietary/nutrinew/mediter.html

http://www.mediterraneandiet.gr/

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 10:37:23 AM »

Here's a good article from Postgraduate Medicine:
http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2002/08_02/curtis.htm

ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 04:24:44 PM »

What, the Orthodox guidelines concerning fasting just weren't complicated or strict enough for your guys?!  Sheesh.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
shilohgomz

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »

Atkins Diet is a system that allows our body to lose weight naturally by inducing a change in metabolism. Atkins diet is very fast rapid weight loss and many to overcome high cholesterol, hypertension, diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome etc.

You have reinserted a commercial link into you profile signature after it was removed by a moderator (PeterTheAleut). For the trial to omit moderator's decision you are warned for 40 days - Michał Kalina.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:26:09 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Commercial link removed.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:34:18 AM »

I wouldn't do the Fatkins Diet.
Instead focus on lean proteins and vegetables and whole-grain starches in light-to-moderate quantities.

Also key: Make sure you take in fewer calories than you burn, or you ain't gonna lose weight. Don't go overboard, do a mild caloric deficit. Crash dieting isn't healthy.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 02:19:18 AM »

Shilohgomz is a bot...

Man, we've been getting a couple of those lately.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
David 2007

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 04:13:50 AM »

I no longer listen to the rantings of people that disparage the Atkins diet.

It's the only thing that works for me. In fact I have to increase my fat intake to be closer to the classic Ketogenic Diet.

I have severe metabolic issues caused by drugs given to me by Doctors.

Personally I see modern Dietary Science as nothing but ideology.

I'll stick with 'objective reality' and it's affects on my body and person.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »

I no longer listen to the rantings of people that disparage the Atkins diet.

It's the only thing that works for me. In fact I have to increase my fat intake to be closer to the classic Ketogenic Diet.

I have severe metabolic issues caused by drugs given to me by Doctors.

Personally I see modern Dietary Science as nothing but ideology.

I'll stick with 'objective reality' and it's affects on my body and person.

There's only one dietary "science" that has real credibility.  A balanced decrease in calories and exercise.

Do you have a family physician or an internist that reviewed the medications you're taking?  Have you seen a dietician that can review your metabolic issues and guide you to a good diet at least?  Short term results can lead to long-term consequences that you don't know.  Just because something looks like it works doesn't mean it's good for you.  If you're even increasing your fat intake, then it worries me that you're increasing your blood cholesterol which increases your risk for stroke and heart attack.  Many people mistake the Atkins diet for eating high protein, high fat, and no carbs.  No, it's normal protein, very low fat, and no carbs, so you still have to suffer.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:52:19 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Maksim

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »

There's only one dietary "science" that has real credibility.  A balanced decrease in calories and exercise.

I think this will change with time.  "Confirmation bias" seems to have ruled the day since the 1960s or so.

Personally, I have been eating high-fat and low-carb for a number of years now.  Not anything formal like the Atkins Diet, but just a recalibration of my views on what I ought to eat.  By "high fat", I mean that I pay no attention to the amount of fat that I am eating, and try to keep carb consumption low.  My wife notes that we go through a pound of lard per week   Wink

Funny thing is, I'm unquestionably healthier now than I was when I was eating a so-called "balanced diet."  There's really no explanation besides my decreased carb intake.  Even my (initially skeptical) doctor is happy with the results.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »

I think this will change with time.  "Confirmation bias" seems to have ruled the day since the 1960s or so.

Personally, I have been eating high-fat and low-carb for a number of years now.  Not anything formal like the Atkins Diet, but just a recalibration of my views on what I ought to eat.  By "high fat", I mean that I pay no attention to the amount of fat that I am eating, and try to keep carb consumption low.  My wife notes that we go through a pound of lard per week   Wink

Funny thing is, I'm unquestionably healthier now than I was when I was eating a so-called "balanced diet."  There's really no explanation besides my decreased carb intake.  Even my (initially skeptical) doctor is happy with the results.

I recommend you check your cholesterol and blood to make sure everything on the outside correlates with everything on the inside.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »

Eat less. The appropriate exercise is keep your mouth closed for length and reps while eating.

The "Atkins" diet is just another way to eat fewer calories that some people find easier *for a while*. The compliance is about the same as any other diet.

Some people have legitimate reasons to eat a higher fat diet even to the point of ketosis. For everyone else, you can lose weight eating twinkies, if eat fewer calories than you are now.

If you are truly fasting throughout the year and keeping the demon of gluttony at bay, there is no way you need to lose weight.

But to make a point clear about Atkins and other such diets: they are high *FAT* not *high* protein.

Good luck losing your weight.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »

When I asked my doctor about a diet plan, he said, "Just don't eat so much!"

This is the same doctor who, when I tried to talk to him about stress at work (in my pre-retirement days), said, "Don't talk to me about stress! You should try dealing with 7000 patients, hospital boards, medical organizations! Just go to work and do your job!"

I hope he never retires  Grin!
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »

The Adkins diet is evil in that you loose 30 lbs fast, but the minute you pass a bakery or and Italian restaurant, you gain 40. The fumes of bread make you fat! Wink

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: