OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:41:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Case concerns man arrested for talking religion at mall  (Read 878 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: July 23, 2010, 08:45:56 PM »

Apparenly public displays of religious beleif are on the verge of becoming illegal in California.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Legal/Default.aspx?id=1065954

Arguments will be heard today in a controversial free-speech case in Roseville, California, that has reached the state Court of Appeals. (See earlier story)

The incident took place in 2007 when Matthew Snatchko, a local youth minister, spoke to two shoppers at Roseville Galleria.

All but first two paragraphs removed pursuant to new board policy restricting the posting of news articles to just the first one or two paragraphs--see this post for details: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13455.msg456852.html#msg456852  The rest of the article can be read by clicking the link provided above.  -PtA
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:52:48 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »

Apparenly public displays of religious beleif are on the verge of becoming illegal in California.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Legal/Default.aspx?id=1065954

Arguments will be heard today in a controversial free-speech case in Roseville, California, that has reached the state Court of Appeals. (See earlier story)

The incident took place in 2007 when Matthew Snatchko, a local youth minister, spoke to two shoppers at Roseville Galleria.

All but first two paragraphs removed pursuant to new board policy restricting the posting of news articles to just the first one or two paragraphs--see this post for details: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13455.msg456852.html#msg456852  The rest of the article can be read by clicking the link provided above.  -PtA

I think we should sue the mess out of any company, city, state or school that tries to stop our freedom of expression! I can't wait till something like this happens to me! I'm gonna sue like crazy!

He should sue for a few million! That should scare the crap out of that company!

ICXC NIKA

Text in quote box modified to reconcile with current state of original...  Nothing more...  -PtA
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:04:31 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »

Another rule bars wearing any clothing that displays religious or political messages.

So a priest cannot go shopping there I guess? Or Muslim women? Or someone who wears a cross has to hide it while in the mall since the Cross carries a religious message? Things are getting pretty ridiculous in this country nowadays.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »

Oh my!

That's terrible.  So, what if you had a logo on your T-Shirt?  What if it said "God bless the USA?"  Would that be banned, as well?

You know I was upset this morning,....because my city has taken the no-texting-while-driving law a bit further. We can't read, groom, text, dial, answer the phone, or EAT.  While it all makes sense...and one should always be conscious of safety while driving....  you could now be pulled over for stuffing a french fry in your mouth, or taking a sip of water. 

However, after reading the above article...I can see that it can always be worse!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »

What about Mennonite/Amish women, who wear long, modest dresses and headcoverings?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »

Malls are private property. While proselytizing on public land is permitted, that freedom doesn't extend to land owned by some corporation.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »

Oh my!

That's terrible.  So, what if you had a logo on your T-Shirt? 

An Orthodox T-shirt which has appeared in Russia.

Here is a humorous comment from the English Ship of Fools

Photos on the website
http://www.ship-of-fools.com/gadgets/fashion/236.html

"The latest fashion craze among our extreme right wing brethren in Russia is a t-shirt decorated with skulls, knives and the cross, carrying the slogan "Orthodoxy or Death!" A Russian court is currently deciding whether the t-shirts are in fact illegal, so get yours while you can! As modelled by Santa's evil twin (above)...." (Read more at the link above.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:54:16 AM by Fr. George » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »

That Jolly Roger is just awful.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 06:09:18 PM »

Oh my!

That's terrible.  So, what if you had a logo on your T-Shirt?  What if it said "God bless the USA?"  Would that be banned, as well?

You know I was upset this morning,....because my city has taken the no-texting-while-driving law a bit further. We can't read, groom, text, dial, answer the phone, or EAT.  While it all makes sense...and one should always be conscious of safety while driving....  you could now be pulled over for stuffing a french fry in your mouth, or taking a sip of water. 

However, after reading the above article...I can see that it can always be worse!   Wink

Wait a minute...you can't eat while driving???  Where is this?!?!?!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 06:35:34 PM »

Malls are private property. While proselytizing on public land is permitted, that freedom doesn't extend to land owned by some corporation.

What is the point of having free speech if you lose it the minute you're on "private property"?

With the current trend toward privatizing everything, i.e., corporate ownership of everything, where will my freedom of speech count? What's the use of free republican gov't when most of my life is lived under state-sanctioned but privately owned tyrannies? Peasants living on a medieval lord's manor had it better lol

Your reasoning is the same Rand Paul applies against the Civil Rights Act.

I am for private property and individual/family rights, but only insofar as they serve as a bulwark against gov't tyranny. When private ownership itself becomes tyrannical, it's not serving its purpose. Privacy is a means to an end, freedom, not an end in itself. That's why slavery and discrimination are illegal. People shouldn't be able to abuse the freedom to own things in private to take away the freedom of others.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:41:28 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »

Oh my!

Suburb of Detroit, MI, USA.

No eating...no drinking....no smoking...no dialing phone....no nothing....two hands (and two thumbs) on steering wheel until you exit the city limits.  I truly wonder if it will make a difference, or if it is just a way to give out citations and for the city to make money.  It's my own city...and I actually feel nervous driving through it.  I had bought a cup of coffee....but, was afraid to sip it until I left the city.  I'm almost worried about laying my left arm on the open window as I am driving...as it might make it seem I am being careless.  What if you had an itch...I wonder if I would be stopped for scratching my head.

I'm all for being safe, but, ....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »

Oh my!

That's terrible.  So, what if you had a logo on your T-Shirt?  

An Orthodox T-shirt which has appeared in Russia.

Here is a humorous comment from the English Ship of Fools

Photos on the website
http://www.ship-of-fools.com/gadgets/fashion/236.html

"The latest fashion...

Edited to be OK with the new board policy - mike.

Thanks For Sharing,,,Father...

Like the Tee Shirt,,I'll Have to put it on my must Have List....Orthodoxy Or Death...Great Saying... It can Keep My Other Tee Shirt Company ,that Say's Better the sultans turban than the Tiera of Rome.... 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:07:38 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »

The man's name sounds Slavic. Is he an apostate?

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:56:39 PM »

Oh my!

Suburb of Detroit, MI, USA.

No eating...no drinking....no smoking...no dialing phone....no nothing....two hands (and two thumbs) on steering wheel until you exit the city limits.  I truly wonder if it will make a difference, or if it is just a way to give out citations and for the city to make money.  It's my own city...and I actually feel nervous driving through it.  I had bought a cup of coffee....but, was afraid to sip it until I left the city.  I'm almost worried about laying my left arm on the open window as I am driving...as it might make it seem I am being careless.  What if you had an itch...I wonder if I would be stopped for scratching my head.

I'm all for being safe, but, ....

That's ridiculous....are the "rules of the road" books reflecting these changes?  I mean...are driving instructors showing people exactly how to drive all the time?  How far does it go...

Man this really irks me..

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »

Just a reminder that this is the Religious Topics board and not the Politics board. I do understand that this particular thread, by it's very nature, probably walks a fine line between the two issues. But just keep in mind which board this thread is in, that's all. If people want to talk the politics that have been raised in a way that is unrelated to the intention of the thread feel free to do so in the Politics forum. Smiley

Northern Pines, Religious Topics Forum Moderator

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »

Just a reminder that this is the Religious Topics board and not the Politics board. I do understand that this particular thread, by it's very nature, probably walks a fine line between the two issues. But just keep in mind which board this thread is in, that's all. If people want to talk the politics that have been raised in a way that is unrelated to the intention of the thread feel free to do so in the Politics forum. Smiley

Northern Pines, Religious Topics Forum Moderator

Please forgive me, I got carried away. 

I actually agree with this anyway: 

What is the point of having free speech if you lose it the minute you're on "private property"?

With the current trend toward privatizing everything, i.e., corporate ownership of everything, where will my freedom of speech count? What's the use of free republican gov't when most of my life is lived under state-sanctioned but privately owned tyrannies? Peasants living on a medieval lord's manor had it better lol

Your reasoning is the same Rand Paul applies against the Civil Rights Act.

I am for private property and individual/family rights, but only insofar as they serve as a bulwark against gov't tyranny. When private ownership itself becomes tyrannical, it's not serving its purpose. Privacy is a means to an end, freedom, not an end in itself. That's why slavery and discrimination are illegal. People shouldn't be able to abuse the freedom to own things in private to take away the freedom of others.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »

Oh my!

To my mind, this is a totally different issue than that raised by the original post.  This is a safety issue.  Texting while driving, along with a lot of other distracting crap, SHOULD be illegal.  I don't want anyone t-boning my car because some ditz thought that telling her girlfriend "txt momz ASAFP goin 2 *$" was more important than watching the road, or have anyone run me down because they were dialing a telephone number, checking their lipstick in the rearview, brushing their hair, or cramming a 7-Eleven hotdog in their face with one hand while holding a Slurpee in the other  Maybe I'm just a little sensitive right now because a friend of mine (a young father) was recently killed on his motorcycle by a distracted driver doing something she obviously thought was "within reason" behind the wheel, but I say, if you can't wait until you're in park to make that text, eat that food, or dial your phone, you need to get pulled over.

As far as the issue raised by original post is concerned, I guess it depends on how aggressive the "street preacher" in question is being.  If they're like the guy in the article, just handing out literature or talking to people who are interested in their message, cool, but in my city, I've seen self-appointed street preachers straight up harrassing people, following young women down the street chiding them loudly for the way they're dressed or standing on the corner with microphones and step-ladders hollering about how the Ashkenazi aren't really Jews at all while pointing at a Hasidic guy walking down the street minding his business.  There's gotta be a line.  I believe in free speech but I don't want to be harassed by every cultist with a weird costume or a handful of Chick tracts on my way to the train station.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: