OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:09:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Sexual Morality  (Read 933 times) Average Rating: 5
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« on: July 23, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/utiles/myprint/print.php

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »

This is the link that works!

"Dietrich von Hildebrand, Catholic Philosopher, and Christopher West, Modern Enthusiast:Two Very Different Approaches to Love, Marriage and Sex" By Alice von Hildebrand

Edit: Just added title of article to link for extra clarity
-Schultz

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:27:09 PM by Schultz » Logged

wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »

Interesting article. Quite the opposite perspective that I hear from contemporary Catholics.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »

Interesting article. Quite the opposite perspective that I hear from contemporary Catholics.

Some contemporary Catholics.  Believe it or not there are millions of traditional Catholics who inhabit Novus Ordo parishes.  I don't mean those who follow the Latin rite.  I mean those who follow the spirit and letter of the precepts of the Church, the commandments and Catholic moral teaching.  They are women my age and one to two decades younger, still in their child bearing years, and their husbands, and they find much more in common with Dame Alice than they do with Christopher West.

It is an uphill battle and many of them home school so they wind up being off the radar nearly entirely, but they are out here and as an added blessing I am surrounded by a whole nest of them regionally and many are my personal friends  Smiley.

But yes.  The writings of Dietrich von Hildebrand were an inspiration to John Paul II for their courageous advocacy of chastity and modesty and they are part of the reason that John Paul systematized his thinking and pastoral teaching on the theology of the body.

What is being done by "contemporary" Catholics, as you call them, is a real slap in the face to those whose work they seek to popularize...and whose work they only succeed in perverting toward their own purposes that have little to do with either chastity or modesty.

And if you do not agree with them then you are pilloried in the Catholic press and social communications networks, and have to publish your own books!!  laugh  which is not such a bad idea these days according to a friend of mine who writes historical fiction....

Thanks for taking the time to read it!!

Mary

wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »

Some contemporary Catholics.  Believe it or not there are millions of traditional Catholics who inhabit Novus Ordo parishes.  I don't mean those who follow the Latin rite.  I mean those who follow the spirit and letter of the precepts of the Church, the commandments and Catholic moral teaching.  They are women my age and one to two decades younger, still in their child bearing years, and their husbands, and they find much more in common with Dame Alice than they do with Christopher West.

Yes, I've met some traditional Catholics of the type you describe. Unfortunately they're vastly outnumbered by both "progressive" Catholics (those who don't care what the RCC's teachings are) and "conservative" Christopher West fans who will tell you that as long as you follow the two big rules (no artificial contraception, man must finish inside wife) then anything goes.
[/quote]
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »

Yes, I've met some traditional Catholics of the type you describe. Unfortunately they're vastly outnumbered by both "progressive" Catholics (those who don't care what the RCC's teachings are) and "conservative" Christopher West fans who will tell you that as long as you follow the two big rules (no artificial contraception, man must finish inside wife) then anything goes.
[/quote]

We pray that the numbers can be changed though I doubt that the attitudes in place now for many will change any time soon.  But there are hopeful signs among us.

Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »

Sorry, but the link doesn't work for me, so I wasn't able to read the article. However, I always find references to "Catholic Sexual Morality" a bit confusing, to say the least. I don't know how many times I run into the following "testimony" by some young woman: "I was raised really strict Catholic, you know, all that guilt etc. regarding sex, and so I didn't lose my virginity until I was 17!?!" I find such statements simply incredible, to say the least. I was brought up with the understanding that the Christian simply DID NOT have sex period until after the wedding. If one failed to marry, then there would NEVER, EVER be any sex. Period. So, to me, this "strict Catholic sexual morality" is incomprehensible, and not strict at all.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »

Sorry, but the link doesn't work for me, so I wasn't able to read the article. However, I always find references to "Catholic Sexual Morality" a bit confusing, to say the least. I don't know how many times I run into the following "testimony" by some young woman: "I was raised really strict Catholic, you know, all that guilt etc. regarding sex, and so I didn't lose my virginity until I was 17!?!" I find such statements simply incredible, to say the least. I was brought up with the understanding that the Christian simply DID NOT have sex period until after the wedding. If one failed to marry, then there would NEVER, EVER be any sex. Period. So, to me, this "strict Catholic sexual morality" is incomprehensible, and not strict at all.

I am at a loss as to how to respond since you were not able to read the article:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/document.php?n=999

IF this link works I'd be happy to discuss the article with you. 

We can either discuss the Church teaching or discuss sinners...whichever you choose.

I have two children and never a husband so my children and I know the sinners side exceptionally well.

In time I came to find my way home so that side I have had to learn through compunction rather than by virtue.

Mary
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:49:20 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »

The link works now-thanks! I'm in the midst of reading this. I suppose, for myself I was so entirely naive that I never knew one had any choice in the matter...I thought I had to obey the ministers and the Bible or I'd burn in hell... It's only now that I am realizing that I could have had a choice...well, I guess we are too soon old, too late smart...sigh...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:13:51 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »

The link works now-thanks! I'm in the midst of reading this. I suppose, for myself I was so entirely naive that I never knew one had any choice in the matter...I thought I had to obey the ministers and the Bible or I'd burn in hell... It's only now that I am realizing that I could have had a choice...well, I guess we are too soon old, too late smart...sigh...

May I humbly suggest that you chose the better part.

Mary

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 05:50:27 PM »

Thought it might interest you that I was raised with the kind of morality reflected in the von Hildebrand article, so it was not from lack of trying on the part of my parents and grandparents.  They modeled the behaviors that I summarily rejected.

There were mitigating circumstances but that did not ease the reality that each one of my children have faced on account.  Quite a lesson when you have to learn it through the pain of the innocents.

M.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 05:50:53 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: