OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:29:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Must a Person be Married to Become a Priest?  (Read 740 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« on: July 22, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »

I never thought that they had to be married, until a few weeks ago when I was talking to a Romanian and he said that it was necessary. He said that they used to make exceptions but that now they are tightening up the rule and requiring that one must be married. Is this true and is the only real celibate path that of a monk?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:16:13 PM by Antonis » Logged

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »

I have understood that the ideal is that a priest should be married or a monastic. My own priest however is not a monastic nor married. I think these things differ by country.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »

There is no canonical prohibition against ordaining a celibate non-monastic, but the Church's experience has shown that doing so can be quite risky.  Hence, as a matter of local practice, some local Churches choose not to ordain celibates.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:19:58 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »

Thanks.  Smiley

Since this is so, nearly all bishops must be taken from the monastic order then? I am a bit confused as to how that works, as some bishops I've seen, like Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Francisco, were ordained to the diaconate, and weren't hierodeacons to my knowledge.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »

Thanks.  Smiley

Since this is so, nearly all bishops must be taken from the monastic order then? I am a bit confused as to how that works, as some bishops I've seen, like Metropolitan Gerasimos of San Francisco, were ordained to the diaconate, and weren't hierodeacons to my knowledge.

For many in the GOA, if they have no intention of actually living in a monastery, they are made rassoforos the night before their ordinations to subdeaconate and deaconate (which is what was likely done to His Eminence GERASIMOS).

I believe that many can live holy lives as celibate non-monastics.  If they're neither entering a monastery nor living as a hermit with ties to a monastery, then IMO they shouldn't be rassofor-ed or tonsured before ordination - why call someone something he is not?  And he essentially ceases to be a monk if he is assigned to a parish - being obedient then to the bishop.  And, IMO, all bishops, regardless of where they started, are not monks (a reason why, IMO, the canons speak of someone being returned to the status of a monk when defrocked - because once they become a bishop, they're no longer a monk, as they must break their obedience to the Abbot, their residence at the monastery, etc.).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:52:59 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »

I don't think the GOAA requires celebate deacons or priests to be monks, in order to be ordained to the episcopacy. Metropolitan Gerasimos was the Archdeacon to the Archbishop of America, held an administrative position with Holy Cross School of Theology, and had a private psychiatric practice, prior to his episcopal ordination.  (Metropolitan Methodios of Boston was the Archdeacon to the Archbishop of America prior to his priestly ordination, was very promptly---the next day as I recall, set apart as an Archimandrite, served a parish in New York for a time, and was later elevated to the episcopacy, and named Bishop of Boston.  Metropolitan Evangelos of New Jersey, had been a Deacon assigned to the Archbishop of America, and was later ordained a priest, served as a parish(es) priest, and then was elevated to the episcopacy, directly for the New Jersey Metropolis.  Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit, when he was ordained a priest, served as Chancellor of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, later transferred to the Archdiocese in New York, before his episcopal ordination for the Detroit Metropolis.  Metropolitan Maximos of Pittsburgh is a monk, though he had been Holy Cross' Assistant Dean, and concurrently served a small parish, part-time  He was a Great Archimandrite.  Bishop Savas of Troas, an auxiliary to Archbishop Demetrios, was a parish priest, the Chancellor of the Holy Archdiocese--became an assistant bishop while he was chancellor, and now serves as the Director of the Archdiocesan Church and Society Department.)

I think, though, as Fr. Anastasios noted above, the tradition of the church is to select episcopal candidates from among the monastics, who had lived and were immersed in the angelic life, as preparation for episcopal service.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:59 PM »

When I first saw the title to this thread, I was reminded immediately of the situation in the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, Where no Arab is ordained into Major Orders unless he is married.  This is part of a strategem to insure that the Greeks--or, more accurately, the members of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre--maintain an iron grip on the patriarchate.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »

When I first saw the title to this thread, I was reminded immediately of the situation in the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, Where no Arab is ordained into Major Orders unless he is married.  This is part of a strategem to insure that the Greeks--or, more accurately, the members of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre--maintain an iron grip on the patriarchate.

Imagine if some Jew were elevated...Holy Hellas would crumble at the foundations.
jenierga13

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »

I never thought that they had to be married, until a few weeks ago when I was talking to a Romanian and he said that it was necessary. He said that they used to make exceptions but that now they are tightening up the rule and requiring that one must be married. Is this true and is the only real celibate path that of a monk?

In other culture, a person must first be married to become a priest was probably necessary. Their views toward the concept of becoming a priest were different to others. It is in reality that on them must to follow and indeed it is true.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

Thanks.  Smiley

For many in the GOA, if they have no intention of actually living in a monastery, they are made rassoforos the night before their ordinations to subdeaconate and deaconate (which is what was likely done to His Eminence GERASIMOS).

I believe that many can live holy lives as celibate non-monastics.  If they're neither entering a monastery nor living as a hermit with ties to a monastery, then IMO they shouldn't be rassofor-ed or tonsured before ordination - why call someone something he is not?  And he essentially ceases to be a monk if he is assigned to a parish - being obedient then to the bishop.  And, IMO, all bishops, regardless of where they started, are not monks (a reason why, IMO, the canons speak of someone being returned to the status of a monk when defrocked - because once they become a bishop, they're no longer a monk, as they must break their obedience to the Abbot, their residence at the monastery, etc.).

I would just like to mention that I asked His Eminence if he was tonsured a monk, and he said "yes, of course, what did you think?" so it might not be exactly as you think it may have been.  (if that makes sense at all)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »

Thanks.  Smiley

I seem to recall that St. Gregory Nazianzus expressing some disquiet that his father (also a bishop) had him consecrated to a nearby see when St. Gregory was considering a calling to monasticism, which was ruled out when he was consecrated.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Ordination priesthood 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: