Author Topic: I believe, help my unbelief!  (Read 868 times)

Offline threetimes

I believe, help my unbelief!
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:42:08 AM »
Shalom! :)

I am a new member.

That's exactly how I feel: I believe, help my unbelief.

On the one hand, something makes me believe. But then, I am not the kind to believe without experiencing something concrete, some sort of sign or miracle or whatever. I am torn between the two - faith and the lack thereof.

What am I to do?

Threetimes

Offline kansas city

Re: I believe, help my unbelief!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:58 PM »
While I understand the desire, even need, of something concrete and tangible, it cannot be the basis of your belief.  From everything I've read of those who experience such wonderful miracles in this world, it is either through great long suffering and prayer or through the intercessions of the saints especially in time of need.

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find encouragement and insight.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

If you must have God prove His existence and His power, you should know that He is simply "I am." He does not have to prove anything. On the other hand, He did sent His only beloved Son to save us because of His love for us all. So, this is a love relationship; it is either there or not. The only thing that we are asked to do is to love Him back. The last time I checked, there was nothing rational about love. So, with brotherly love, I urge you to quit being a logician, scientist or lawyer: just be the wonderful creation of His that you are, and love Him back!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:18:27 PM by Second Chance »

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
In practical terms, from my own experience if it is of any worth.

Ignore all thoughts, feelings, ideas or suggestions that come in periods of unbelief. They are like the misguided perceptions one has when our organs of perception are failing.

Trust and act upon your periods of faith. This is when we see and hear clearly. In time, these periods grow longer and longer. Hopefully, one day they will be our "standard" state of being.

It's like driving. When the fog, rain or snow is too strong, we simply have to stop. When the weather improves, we go on.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:27:12 PM by Fabio Leite »
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline threetimes

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

If you must have God prove His existence and His power, you should know that He is simply "I am." He does not have to prove anything. On the other hand, He did sent His only beloved Son to save us because of His love for us all. So, this is a love relationship; it is either there or not. The only thing that we are asked to do is to love Him back. The last time I checked, there was nothing rational about love. So, with brotherly love, I urge you to quit being a logician, scientist or lawyer: just be the wonderful creation of His that you are, and love Him back!

Thanks, I see what you mean. The thing is, I am always looking for signs; it is my nature. I find it hard to simply believe and do nothing else. My mind keeps looking for signs and wonders. It is sort of like expecting God to provide signs and thus reinforce my faith.

Offline sainthieu

• Abstractor of the Quintessence
  • High Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:06:11 AM »
As we do not merit a closer relationship with God by loving only those who are loveable--anyone can do that--we do not merit a closer relationship with God if, like Doubting Thomas, we demand 'evidence'.

If you wish to draw near to God, speak to him in faith. ("...blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29)  Stop what you are doing every once in a while, compose yourself, and pray very sincerely, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me."

See what happens.