OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:30:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Filioque Is a Christological Error  (Read 33162 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2011, 07:33:45 PM »

http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/mdpd.htm

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2006/wmay_authority_nov06.asp

The truth as taught by the Church is to be believed.   It is really not rocket science.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:36:11 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »

Christ is risen!
If the Father really is the ultimate source, then it is one source.

I don't really see it taught like that in the RC, unless I'm misunderstanding something, but that the Father and the Son together is the one source.

That is not accurate.  What you are suggesting, my Church, would call heresy.  So yes.  In this case you are misunderstanding something.
No, it has taught heresy. He understands correctly.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:51:17 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »

I don't really see it taught like that in the RC, unless I'm misunderstanding something, but that the Father and the Son together is the one source.

Apotheoun can probably answer this better than I can, but I believe the Council of Florence said that the Holy Spirit proceeds from both "as from one source", but never actually said "the Father and the Son together are the one source."

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »

Council of Florence (Yes, I read the paragraph above this one, but it becomes confusing here.)
In the name of the holy Trinity, Father, Son and holy Spirit, we define, with the approval of this holy universal council of Florence, that the following truth of faith shall be believed and accepted by all Christians and thus shall all profess it: that the holy Spirit is eternally from the Father and the Son, and has his essence and his subsistent being from the Father together with the Son, and proceeds from both eternally as from one principle and a single spiration. We declare that when holy doctors and fathers say that the holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son, this bears the sense that thereby also the Son should be signified, according to the Greeks indeed as cause, and according to the Latins as principle of the subsistence of the holy Spirit, just like the Father.

CCC Par 248
248 At the outset the Eastern tradition expresses the Father's character as first origin of the Spirit. By confessing the Spirit as he "who proceeds from the Father", it affirms that he comes from the Father through the Son.77 The Western tradition expresses first the consubstantial communion between Father and Son, by saying that the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son (filioque). It says this, "legitimately and with good reason",78 for the eternal order of the divine persons in their consubstantial communion implies that the Father, as "the principle without principle",79 is the first origin of the Spirit, but also that as Father of the only Son, he is, with the Son, the single principle from which the Holy Spirit proceeds.80 This legitimate complementarity, provided it does not become rigid, does not affect the identity of faith in the reality of the same mystery confessed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:44:29 AM by Melodist » Logged

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #274 on: April 29, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »

The Roman Church teaches that the Spirit ". . . proceeds from both [i.e., the Father and the Son] eternally as from one principle and a single spiration," and so the Father and the Son ". . . should be signified, according to the Greeks indeed as cause . . . of the subsistence of the Holy Spirit" [Norman P. Tanner, S.J., (Editor), Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, (London and Washington, D.C.: Sheed & Ward, and Georgetown University Press, 1990), pages 526-527].

This teaching is of course contrary to the doctrine of the Orthodox Church.
So then, why are you in communion with us?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #275 on: April 29, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »

The Roman Church teaches that the Spirit ". . . proceeds from both [i.e., the Father and the Son] eternally as from one principle and a single spiration," and so the Father and the Son ". . . should be signified, according to the Greeks indeed as cause . . . of the subsistence of the Holy Spirit" [Norman P. Tanner, S.J., (Editor), Decrees of the Ecumenical Councils, (London and Washington, D.C.: Sheed & Ward, and Georgetown University Press, 1990), pages 526-527].

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Same reason all other nominally Catholic believers are as long as they don't leave us or try to destroy us internally... Tongue

Same reason saints and sinners commune from the same Chalice.

LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #276 on: April 29, 2011, 01:05:27 PM »

The title of this thread is "Why Filioque Is a Christological Error". I know you can read.
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2011, 01:06:40 PM »

Same reason all other nominally Catholic believers are as long as they don't leave us or try to destroy us internally... Tongue

Angry
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »

Angry

You have a problem communing with sinners?

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »

I thought I was fairly precise in what I said:  "This teaching is of course contrary to the doctrine of the Orthodox Church."  You will notice that I did not say that it is contrary to the doctrine of the Melkite Catholic Church, although it clearly does not coincide with our teaching, but we Melkites try to give our Roman friends the benefit of the doubt about this non-dogmatic position of the Western Church.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »

Angry

As a sinner, I have no problem communing with sinners like you either.  Christos Voskrese!

St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »

One reason I remain Eastern Catholic is so that I can continue to be a thorn in the side of bigoted Roman Catholics.  Just kidding of course.  Why would I want to leave the Melkite Church?  It is my spiritual home.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »

Angry

As a sinner, I have no problem communing with sinners like you either.  Christos Voskrese!

Exactly!...We do not need to be perfect or perfectly in line with our beliefs to be in communion.

Voistinu Voskrese!

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »

One reason I remain Eastern Catholic is so that I can continue to be a thorn in the side of bigoted Roman Catholics.  Just kidding of course.  Why would I want to leave the Melkite Church?  It is my spiritual home.
It just seems weird for you to be incommunion with those you would logically have to conclude are heretics...

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »

Angry

Exactly!...We do not need to be perfect or perfectly in line with our beliefs to be in communion.

Voistinu Voskrese!
Yes, you may not be in line perfectly with your Churches beliefs, but thankfully I am in line with Melkite teaching on the filioque.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »

It just seems weird for you to be incommunion with those you would logically have to conclude are heretics...
I do not remember calling you or any Roman Catholic a heretic.  Besides, heresy only applies in connection with the rejection of the truth or the explicit acceptance of something heterodox as dogma, and the Melkite Catholic Church does not believe that the filioque is a dogma, seeing it instead as simply an opinion of many medieval Latin theologians.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:36:48 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #286 on: April 29, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »

I do not remember calling you or any Roman Catholic a heretic.  Besides, heresy only applies in connection with the rejection of the truth or the explicit acceptance of something heterodox as dogma, and the Melkite Catholic Church does not believe that the filioque is a dogma, seeing it instead as simply an opinion of many medieval Latin theologians.
Really? Because we Latins have made it pretty clear that we accept it as dogma. I mean, there is the council of Florence, among others, and, for goodness sakes, it's in the Creed we recite at the Liturgy and has been for centuries. The law of prayer is the law of faith you know.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #287 on: April 29, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »

Really? Because we Latins have made it pretty clear that we accept it as dogma. I mean, there is the council of Florence, among others, and, for goodness sakes, it's in the Creed we recite at the Liturgy and has been for centuries. The law of prayer is the law of faith you know.
That is because you mistakenly believe that the particular synods of the Latin Church, which it held during the second millennium, are ecumenical councils, when in fact they are not.  Those Western councils are simply local in nature, and cannot produce dogmas or any form of binding doctrine.  They are expressions of theological opinion, which - to paraphrase Archbishop Zoghby of blessed memory - cannot bind anyone because of their local nature. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:42:45 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #288 on: April 29, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »

Angry

Voistinu Voskrese!
Yes, you may not be in line perfectly with your Churches beliefs, but thankfully I am in line with Melkite teaching on the filioque.

How arrogant of you to presume to know what my beliefs are with respect to my Church, or even to think you know what they need to be.  You arrogate to yourself an understanding of the teaching of the papal Church that is absolutely wrong, and yet you presume to tell me that I am not in line with my Churches beliefs.

Well my dear, you may have a few campy followers but that does not give you the right to judge me in ANY way shape or form.

Christ is Risen!

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #289 on: April 29, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »

Angry

Voistinu Voskrese!

How arrogant of you to presume to know what my beliefs are with respect to my Church, or even to think you know what they need to be.  You arrogate to yourself an understanding of the teaching of the papal Church that is absolutely wrong, and yet you presume to tell me that I am not in line with my Churches beliefs.
Pot meet kettle.  That is precisely what you were doing to me, and I see that you do not appreciate it anymore than I did.

Christos Voskrese!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:44:29 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »

Well my dear, you may have a few campy followers but that does not give you the right to judge me in ANY way shape or form.

Christ is Risen!
I have no followers, nor do I want any.  As far as judging you is concerned, I would not presume to judge you personally, because I do not know you from Adam, but I will judge your comments, and when they are offensive or erroneous, I will speak up in opposition to what you have said.

P.S. - When you speak the truth I will defend your comments, but alas we rarely see eye to eye on things.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:49:22 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »

Angry

Voistinu Voskrese!

How arrogant of you to presume to know what my beliefs are with respect to my Church, or even to think you know what they need to be.  You arrogate to yourself an understanding of the teaching of the papal Church that is absolutely wrong, and yet you presume to tell me that I am not in line with my Churches beliefs.
Pot meet kettle.  That is precisely what you were doing to me, and I see that you do not appreciate it anymore than I did.

Christos Voskrese!

Not at all.  My ONLY complaint with you over the years was that you mis-read the Catholic teaching concerning filioque and broadcast your reading far and wide as the only possible truth,  and claimed you stood on higher ground because you recognized it as heterodox teaching.

I have always defended you here against Papist and hoped that he would stop.

That ends here.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »

That is because you mistakenly believe that the particular synods of the Latin Church, which it held during the second millennium, are ecumenical councils, when in fact they are not.  Those Western councils are simply local in nature, and cannot produce dogmas or any form of binding doctrine.  They are expressions of theological opinion, which - to paraphrase Archbishop Zoghby of blessed memory - cannot bind anyone because of their local nature. 
And, yet, we as Latins accept them as dogmatic and binding. So wouldn't that make us heretics in your paradigm?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2011, 02:54:34 PM »

Todd,
I, along with all of the Latins that I spend time with, accept and profess that the filioque is dogmatic, and binding, along with the doctrines of purgatory, the immaculate conception, original sin, papal primacy, etc. I believe and profess these things, both in thought, and in the Liturgy. Is the law of prayer not the law of faith?

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »

Angry

Voistinu Voskrese!

Christos Voskrese!

Not at all.  My ONLY complaint with you over the years was that you mis-read the Catholic teaching concerning filioque and broadcast your reading far and wide as the only possible truth,  and claimed you stood on higher ground because you recognized it as heterodox teaching.

That ends here.

And I think that you misread Catholic teaching, and I have thought that for many years.  I find it reprehensible when you twist Catholic teaching in order to try and make it more palatable to the Orthodox.  Perhaps that is why I respect Papist, even when I do not agree with him on certain issues, because he does not try to distort Latin teaching in order to make it look more Eastern.  

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

Angry

Voistinu Voskrese!

Christos Voskrese!

That ends here.

She has defended you Todd. Smiley

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #296 on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »

Angry

Voistinu Voskrese!

Christos Voskrese!

That ends here.

And I think that you misread Catholic teaching, and I have thought that for many years.  I find it reprehensible when you twist Catholic teaching in order to try and make it more palatable to the Orthodox.  Perhaps that is why I respect Papist, even when I do not agree with him on certain issues, because he does not try to distort Latin teaching in order to make it look more Eastern.  
Todd, I think your position is dishonest. You try to explain away Latin doctrines that we hold as dogmatically binding, so that you can remain in communion with Rome. Let me make it clear to you. The Filioque is part recited in the Creed. The Law of prayer is the Law of faith. Therefore, we Latins hold it dogmatically.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #297 on: April 29, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »

Todd,
I, along with all of the Latins that I spend time with, accept and profess that the filioque is dogmatic, and binding, along with the doctrines of purgatory, the immaculate conception, original sin, papal primacy, etc. I believe and profess these things, both in thought, and in the Liturgy. Is the law of prayer not the law of faith?
I am sure that you and your friends do just that, but Rome has wavered in recent years both with its "Clarification on the Filioque," and with its agreed statements with Orthodox in the Joint International Commission.  I guess we will just have to wait and see where Rome finally ends up on these issues.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #298 on: April 29, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »

Todd,
I am sure that you and your friends do just that, but Rome has wavered in recent years both with its "Clarification on the Filioque," and with its agreed statements with Orthodox in the Joint International Commission.  I guess we will just have to wait and see where Rome finally ends up on these issues.
In the mean time, it's in our Creed and the law of prayer is the law of faith.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »

I never twist any Catholic teaching to suit anyone.  I've spent many more years than you learning what my Church teaches, and have no need to change it to suit anyone.  Not a soul.  Especially not someone who thinks a degree makes the scholar.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »

Angry

Voistinu Voskrese!

Christos Voskrese!

That ends here.

Todd, I think your position is dishonest. You try to explain away Latin doctrines that we hold as dogmatically binding, so that you can remain in communion with Rome. Let me make it clear to you. The Filioque is part recited in the Creed. The Law of prayer is the Law of faith. Therefore, we Latins hold it dogmatically.
I have no doubt that you believe that about me.  But I am being quite honest and faithful to the Melkite Church of which I am a member.  Be that as it may, in regard to your position, I believe that you are being honest, but that you are simply in error.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »

I never twist any Catholic teaching to suit anyone.  I've spent many more years than you learning what my Church teaches, and have no need to change it to suit anyone.  Not a soul.  Especially not someone who thinks a degree makes the scholar.
My friends and I have nick-named you cyclone Elijahmaria.  I have never seen so much twisting.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:01:19 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »

Todd,

You are wrong historically, Todd, and the thing that warms my heart is that in future it will Orthodox scholars who will prove you to be historically wrong for they are the ones coming to grips with that which has been denied for so many centuries in the east.

All in good time, Todd.  All in good time.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »

With my friends I have nick-named you cyclone Elijahmaria.
That's funny,Todd,  because when I refer to your posts, I always call you the non-Catholic Catholic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:01:49 PM by Papist » Logged

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »

And I think that you misread Catholic teaching, and I have thought that for many years.  I find it reprehensible when you twist Catholic teaching in order to try and make it more palatable to the Orthodox.  Perhaps that is why I respect Papist, even when I do not agree with him on certain issues, because he does not try to distort Latin teaching in order to make it look more Eastern. 

I never twist any Catholic teaching to suit anyone.  I've spent many more years than you learning what my Church teaches, and have no need to change it to suit anyone.  Not a soul.  Especially not someone who thinks a degree makes the scholar.
That's funny, because when I refer to your posts, I always call you the non-Catholic Catholic.
I know, but that is because you confuse being Latin with being Catholic.  Cheesy  It is time for you to come to terms with the fact that the Catholic Church is composed of 23 self-governing Churches, all with their own theology, spirituality, and liturgy.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:02:35 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »

My friends and I have nick-named you cyclone Elijahmaria.  I have never seen so much twisting.  Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You never enter my conversations!!

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »

That's funny, because when I refer to your posts, I always call you the non-Catholic Catholic.
I know, but that is because you confuse being Latin with being Catholic.  Cheesy
No, its because you confuse  Byzantianism/Hellenism with Catholicism.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »

Todd,

You are wrong historically, Todd, and the thing that warms my heart is that in future it will Orthodox scholars who will prove you to be historically wrong for they are the ones coming to grips with that which has been denied for so many centuries in the east.

All in good time, Todd.  All in good time.
Assertions are not proof.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

However Todd, some of your extereme/nearly-Buddhist views might even be considered too much for the Eastern Orthodox.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »

I know, but that is because you confuse being Latin with being Catholic.  Cheesy
Byzantine theology is many things, but a form of Hellenism it is not.  Read the Synodikon.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »

Byzantine theology is many things, but a form of Hellenism it is not.  Read the Synodikon.
Of course it is. When you take it in it's extreme views (such as those you often present) it isn't far off from Neo-Platonism. I don't think that the Eastern Orthodox go that far, but you do sometimes.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »

However Todd, some of your extereme/nearly-Buddhist views might even be considered too much for the Eastern Orthodox.
That's a new one.  How many of St. Maximos' writings have you read?

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »

What does that have to do with har far you go into transforming God in the ultimate zero and changing theosis into Nirvana?

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »

Of course it is. When you take it in it's extreme views (such as those you often present) it isn't far off from Neo-Platonism. I don't think that the Eastern Orthodox go that far, but you do sometimes.
This comment proves that you know very little about Eastern Orthodox theology.  You might want to peruse Dr. John Jones' writings on Pseudo-Dionysios.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »

What does that have to do with har far you go into transforming God in the ultimate zero and changing theosis into Nirvana?
The fact that God is beyond being, a belief held by St. Maximos (and St. Gregory Palamas, and others), is not Buddhist my dear friend, it is Christian.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Tags: filioque 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: