OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:24:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conquering fears in kids  (Read 648 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »

After a run in with a cloud of Japanese beetles my 2 1/2 year old daughter has become petrified when she sees a bug, a spot that looks like a bug, or feels anything lightly brush against her.  It's bad enough that she screams, cries, and I just about can't budge her from where she's standing unless I carry her.  Hopefully this is just a phase but, in the meantime, is there anything I can do to help ease her fear?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:31:18 PM »

After a run in with a cloud of Japanese beetles my 2 1/2 year old daughter has become petrified when she sees a bug, a spot that looks like a bug, or feels anything lightly brush against her.  It's bad enough that she screams, cries, and I just about can't budge her from where she's standing unless I carry her.  Hopefully this is just a phase but, in the meantime, is there anything I can do to help ease her fear?
Besides looking creepy, Japanese bettles don't bite, do they?  If she wasn't bitten, but just creeped out, point that out, that there isn't any danger.

Any bugs she liked, like lady bugs, fire flies, ants? butterlies?  that she can look at a while?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »

Fireflies are cool! 

They are easy to catch...don't bite...or spread any diseases.  You could catch a few and leave them in a jar in her room.  She might fall in love with the bugs as they blink at her all night.

You could also try finding some kid books, movies, etc. featuring bugs.

I would just do it secretly and not make a big deal out of the whole bug thing.  Maybe she'll eventually forget she was scared of them.

(You might want to confer with Quinault.  I believe she has a little boy who is fascinated with spiders - Reply #30 - http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21432.msg325831.html#msg325831)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »

I would teach her about insects and what they do, draw pictures of insects and rent nature videos on them. Arthropodology can be pretty fascinating.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »

Thanks for the advice!  I did buy her some flash cards with different insects and she loves looking at them. 

Isa, nope, the Japanese beetle doesn't sting or bite but they do buzz very loudly and have no concept of personal space so poor Cait was scared that they kept buzzing in her face and landing on her.  They do have kind of spindly, stickery legs that just feel creepy when they touch the skin so that's part of her fear.

I'll try the bug in a jar idea, thanks!  Maybe with some separation she can look at it and not worry that it'll "get her."  We'll try to rent A Bug's Life, too.  Quinault, did you say your husband had sent a spider in a glass square to your son?  I might look around for that too.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »

Courage may be taught as a child is taught to speak - Euripides

As far as the bug thing goes, I cannot help you.  Bugs scare the heck out of me.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: