OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:31:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Chant in an Iron Maiden Song  (Read 646 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »

I can't believe I just noticed this but on both the studio and live versions of the Iron Maiden song, "Sign of the Cross" from the album, Virtual XI, you will notice that the choir intro is the Russian chant for the "Blessed is the man", the first kathisma from the psalter (i don't know if that particular melody is used anywhere else in the Russian tradition). Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool.  I've included the link to the Rock in Rio tour where a live version of the song was played (it's far better with Dickinson than Blaze Bayley).  Don't listen to the song expecting any great theological insight (it's pretty bland and kind of a cheaper rendition of the thoughts heard on "Hallowed be Thy Name" from Number of the Beast in 1982, when Maiden was in its heyday).

Still, it's a good rocking song.  Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG3MZR5Pu1Q

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:58:30 PM »

It's actually on "The X Factor" and it takes "In the Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco as its inspiration. Wink

Agreed on the song sounding better w/ Brucie on vox, though Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

^You're right, Schultz.  Thanks for pointing out the error.  In my defense, I cared for neither album with Blaze (good vocalist; just didn't mesh with Iron Maiden's style).  up the irons!

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:53:26 PM »

^You're right, Schultz.  Thanks for pointing out the error.  In my defense, I cared for neither album with Blaze (good vocalist; just didn't mesh with Iron Maiden's style).  up the irons!

I can listen to the X Factor when in the right mood.

I haven't listened to VXI at all, nor any song from it, in about ten years, aside from the live cuts of The Clansman w/ Bruce singing.

Terrible, terrible record.  It's the full length equivalent of "Quest for Fire" Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:40 PM »

I haven't listened to VXI at all, nor any song from it, in about ten years, aside from the live cuts of The Clansman w/ Bruce singing.

Terrible, terrible record.  It's the full length equivalent of "Quest for Fire" Wink

I kind of like "Quest for Fire" especially the instrumental section.  Did I just say that out loud? Grin

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »

I kind of like "Quest for Fire" especially the instrumental section.  Did I just say that out loud? Grin

My brain shuts off and my ears start to bleed once I hear, "In the days when dinosaurs walked the earth...".  I haven't made it past the second line and made it to the instrumental section in probably 15 years now. Ugh.

LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:34:01 PM »

(i don't know if that particular melody is used anywhere else in the Russian tradition).

It's not an uncommon arrangement, I have several recordings of it. It's important, though, for the lead bass (or, better still, contrabass) to have a clear, not muddy, voice, to do justice to the composition. Maybe that's what might deter many parish choirs from tackling it.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:03:59 AM »

Awesome! Great way to start the morning...

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: