OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:35:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blogpost question and my fifth visit to an Orthodox Church  (Read 804 times) Average Rating: 0
Mister Jim Dude

Faith: Protestant - Church of the Nazarene
Jurisdiction: The West

« on: July 19, 2010, 03:29:26 AM »

Hello,
I blogged about my fifth visit to an Orthodox Church on my blog called "Orthodoxy or Bust!"
In that post I ask a question as to why people will venerate icons even though the service has been going on for at least 20 minutes.
Please take a look at my post for more details.

http://orthodoxyorbust.blogspot.com/2010/07/fifth-visit.html

thanks and I look forward to all your comments.
Mister Jim Dude!

http://orthodoxyorbust.podomatic.com/entry/2012-06-16T04_03_39-07_00
my podcast about my journey towards Orthodoxy!
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:21:13 AM »

I don't know the custom in the rest of the world but in the Finnish Orthodox Church it is certainly allowed, perhaps even encouraged, to venerate icons and light candles at almost any time during a service.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »

Hello,
I blogged about my fifth visit to an Orthodox Church on my blog called "Orthodoxy or Bust!"
In that post I ask a question as to why people will venerate icons even though the service has been going on for at least 20 minutes.
Please take a look at my post for more details.

http://orthodoxyorbust.blogspot.com/2010/07/fifth-visit.html

thanks and I look forward to all your comments.
Mister Jim Dude!

Because the Spirit moved them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »

Whoever told you it was a good idea for folks to come early to light candles and venerate the icons was indeed right. That said, it would be wrong to say that folks cannot do so after services start. There are  however, certain times that it should not be done at all: at any time after the Liturgy of the Faithful has started and before that, during censing of the church, the Lesser Entrance, "Come let us worship and fall down before Christ," The Thrice Holy Hymn, reading of the Epistle and the Gospel, and the homily.

In my mind, the important thing to remember is that one can light candles, pray and venerate the icons at numerous times. On Sunday, one can do so before and during Hours/Matins, the Liturgy of the Catechumens (see exceptions above) and after the Post-Communion Prayers. Plenty of opportunities obviously; ergo, the advice given to you was right.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »

From another Jim
You will find that Orthodox worship is not regimented in the same way that Protestant worship is. If it's a parish that has Orthros and Divine Liturgy on a Sunday morning, DL begins whenever Orthros is finished. the switch from one service to the other is pretty well seamless, so the whole flow of the morning is quite different that what one experiences in Protestantism. Yes, in North America we try to be close in our timing of the services, but exactness simply isn't going to happen. Orthodox Christian also feel freer to come and go in accordance with what they can manage (or choose to). They will participate actively while they are present in different ways as you have noticed. So all of that means that Orthodox Christians are less likely than Protestants to plan to be in their seats (yes, I know that may not be literally true for many Orthodox Christians!) at a fixed time with plans to depart en masse at a second fixed time.

Some will enter to church for their private prayers. That's perfectly OK so long as they are not disruptive. [I was about to post when I see Second Chance has gone into more detail.]

Of course, all of this will vary from parish to parish. In my own little mission parish, with only about twenty of us on a given Sunday, there's more unanimity in our arrivals and departures. Since we are in rented quarters where we have to set up and take down for every service, we don't have icons all around to be venerated, so you will see very few examples of the acts of personal piety which you may see elsewhere.

BTW, I'm enjoying your blog. I like your rambling style, but glad you don't ramble all over the globe  Cheesy!
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:08:03 AM »

In my mind, the important thing to remember is that one can light candles, pray and venerate the icons at numerous times. On Sunday, one can do so before and during Hours/Matins, the Liturgy of the Catechumens (see exceptions above) and after the Post-Communion Prayers. Plenty of opportunities obviously; ergo, the advice given to you was right.

Errm, not quite. Strictly speaking, the lighting of candles, moving around, and venerating of icons is verboten during the reading of the Six Psalms of Matins.   angel
Mister Jim Dude

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »

From another Jim

BTW, I'm enjoying your blog. I like your rambling style, but glad you don't ramble all over the globe  Cheesy!
I am glad you are enjoying my blog. Believe it or not, those four or five short paragraphs usually take me around 45 minutes to an hour to write. I have a tendency to overwrite so I work at scaling it down very hard...I also like to try to connect my usually disconnected thoughts... Cheesy

Mister Jim Dude

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »

thanks for everyone's answers!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: