OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natural Disasters  (Read 1055 times) Average Rating: 0
Taylor

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« on: July 19, 2010, 12:57:58 AM »

Hello

There is much written on this and other forums on the "Problem of Evil", and I think when it comes to moral evil committed by humans, the Orthodox understanding is clear, precise, and, ultimately, true:  We have been given free will by God, and thus we can choose to do good (by following His will and His commands) or to do evil (by following our own will or the temptations of Satan).  At least, this is the best I can briefly boil it down to, though it is in no way adequate or comprehensive. 

I just finished reading David Bentley Hart's "The Doors of the Sea" and found it to be eloquent and remarkable, though I would like to make sure that I am understanding it.  What I mean here by "it" is the Orthodox explanation of natural disasters, which is loosely what the book is about.  Evil committed by humans is one thing; massive numbers of lives lost and, schools, hospitals, families, and churches destroyed in an earthquake seems to be different.  The book is an attempt to explain the Orthodox understanding of natural disasters, with particular reference to the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami that resulted in 230,000 lives lost, and it is also a response to atheists who said that the disaster was proof of the non-existence of God and to some protestants who said it was God "punishing the heathens" or simply "part of God's unknowable plan".

Now, Mr. Hart makes it clear that he does not intend to be laying out the "official" Orthodox view on the matter, but only to explain it in best words he can using the teachings of Scripture and Tradition.  I am here to say that I do not have at all a full understanding of the issue after reading the text, and I would like some help.

If I could paraphrase Mr. Hart as best I can, the tragedy of natural disasters stems from the initial fall.  We live in a fallen world, a world that is not that of God but of the Enemy.  This world is a pale reflection of the world as God originally created it.  God gave man free will, and man chose to not obey God, and thus the fall occurred.  This fall applies to the whole of creation, including the natural order.  Natural disasters are a result of this fall because the world itself is fallen.  They are not God's will, nor are they punishment. 

Again, the above summary is by no means comprehensive or complete, and I would doubt my own understanding of what Mr. Hart was trying to say as his writing can be very high-level stuff. 

Please help me by responding:

1).  Is this an accurate Orthodox understanding of natural disasters?

2). (For those who have read/know of him) Is this an accurate summary of Mr. Hart's writing?

3).  If this is not an accurate understanding, could someone please help me by explaining what the Orthodox understanding, view on, and/or explanation of natural disasters is?  Are there any Orthodox sources (such as in the Fathers) where this issue is discussed?

Thank you
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:24:01 AM »

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/podup/hopko/theological_reflections_on_calamity(Theological Reflections On Calamity)

Some years ago I read in some of the early fathers and witnesses/nonfathers that both the righteous and wicked suffer together in Calamity. I know in my protestant years......and this isn't true for all protestants, but for me I was raised around people, and I use to hang around people that believed if you payed tithes or did certain things then you would be blessed.....your city, state, Nation/country........etc. and God wouldn't allow such bad things to happen to you and your community/Nation/country..........etc.

But I got a different idea from some of the early christian writers. They seemed to say that both christians and nonchristians will suffer together.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 06:21:37 AM »

I did write a paper about natural disasters for a conference I attended in Geneva a couple of years ago. It was based on a reading of the disaters in the Chronicle of Pseudo-Joshua.

It is online here...

http://www.erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180:naturaldisasters&catid=22:subsmnufathersasaintsmenu&Itemid=17

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Taylor

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »

Thank you for your responses.  I will examine both of these.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »

There is at least one day on the Church calendar commemorating an earthquake. The Great Earthquake of Constantinople is commemorated, IIR, on Oct. 26 with St. Demetrius. It would be, I think, helpful to look at the services for these commemorations.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: