OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 05:05:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what's a "names day" for?  (Read 1614 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 19, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »

what is a names day for? what exactly is it?  I know I should know this, but when is mine? (my patron is St. Tikhon of Moscow)

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:40:50 AM »

A name's day (or nameday) is the day on which your patron saint is commemorated. In your case, your nameday falls on September 26/October 9 (oc/nc). Traditionally, in countries where Orthodoxy was the norm, it was one's patronal feast-day that was cause for celebration, not one's birthday.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:42:15 AM by LBK » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »

A name's day (or nameday) is the day on which your patron saint is commemorated. In your case, your nameday falls on September 26/October 9 (oc/nc). Traditionally, in countries where Orthodoxy was the norm, it was one's patronal feast-day that was cause for celebration, not one's birthday.

how interesting!  you remind me that a friend ssaid, in Serbia godparents are a stronger bond than your biologiccal parents.  one day, I'd LOVE to study the effects of religion on society.  it's just SO fascinating!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Subdeacon Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:56:49 AM »

how interesting!  you remind me that a friend ssaid, in Serbia godparents are a stronger bond than your biologiccal parents.  one day, I'd LOVE to study the effects of religion on society.  it's just SO fascinating!

In which case, you may be interested by the rules surrounding marriage and kinship, which extend to spiritual kin as well as biological kin.  This was very new to me when I found Orthodoxy.

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:05:51 AM »

In which case, you may be interested by the rules surrounding marriage and kinship, which extend to spiritual kin as well as biological kin.  This was very new to me when I found Orthodoxy.

M
yes, this reminds me, are your godparents' godparents' your grand-godparents?  are you considered spiritual kin to them too?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:37:25 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:06:22 AM »

Celebrating Your Patron Saint's Day

http://www.theologic.com/oflweb/inhome/nameday1.htm
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:34:24 PM »

Do saints of the Old Testament have name days?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »

Yes.  They have a general Synaxis on the Sunday of the Forefathers (2nd before Christmas), but many also have individual namedays.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »

The prophets who wrote the books of the OT all have their own feast days.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »

Yes.  They have a general Synaxis on the Sunday of the Forefathers (2nd before Christmas), but many also have individual namedays.
Thank you, father. I was named after one of the patriarchs, and would likely adapt him as my patron if I converted (which I have every intent to do). It's nice to know I'll still have something to celebrate.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »

A celebration of whom you are to emulate, rather than the ego-feast known as a birthday.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 12:06:16 AM »

A celebration of whom you are to emulate, rather than the ego-feast known as a birthday.

Bad things happen at birthday celebrations, like the beheading of prophets.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »

Absolutely! I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 02:10:35 AM »

amen to that!  I can see how a birthday, the celebration of one's self, is the very defanition of vanity!  on your names day, you celebrate a little bit of yourself, your saint, and you being an Orthodox Christian.  what a wonderful tradition! Smiley

Reuben

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »

If your name day occurs during a fasting period, do the fasting rules relax, or remain rigid?
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »

If your name day occurs during a fasting period, do the fasting rules relax, or remain rigid?

I've never been told to relax them! What I do, is if my name day is on a fast day, I'll just cook fancier fasting food, such as a shrimp dish I love and save for special occasions.
Reuben

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »

That's a good idea. Thanks!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

I suppose it depends on the fast and the day. I think one can make a case for wine and oil on one's feast day, but probably not a steak.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »

M
yes, this reminds me, are your godparents' godparents' your grand-godparents?  are you considered spiritual kin to them too?

If you're baptised as a baby, then they are responsible for your soul and how you turn out.  They will have to answer to God.  Adult converts don't need god-parents.  They choose conversion of their own free-will.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
joasia

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »

The best solution to naming a baby is to name him or her for the saint of that day of birth, then you truely celebrate the saint and the day God chose your baby to be born. 

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »

I've heard different things about this.

That said, the local Antiochian priest and his family have a Slava (which is actually a Serbian practice, go figure!), St. Patrick, who always falls in Lent (March 17). He relaxes the celebration to Fish/Wine/Oil. My priest has actually used this as a perfectly acceptable economy when this occurs (with a blessing from your spiritual father/mother, of course!).

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »

My immediate reaction when I saw the title of this thread was "Cake."  laugh  laugh  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Margaret S.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 03:06:58 AM »

I've never been told to relax them! What I do, is if my name day is on a fast day, I'll just cook fancier fasting food, such as a shrimp dish I love and save for special occasions.

This is why you shouldn't choose a patron saint whose day falls in a fast Wink  My name saint (St Margaret Zakachurina, nun and new martyr) is in Advent (on both calendars)  and the anniversary of my baptism is in Lent so I've given myself New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia and All Saints of Russia as a second name days in which I can have cake...

Margaret
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:07:33 AM by Margaret S. » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 04:27:10 AM »

[his is why you shouldn't choose a patron saint whose day falls in a fast Wink  My name saint (St Margaret Zakachurina, nun and new martyr)

I know this holy nun and martyr was added to the canon of the Saints in 2000 and you must be among the first to bear her name.  A unique privilege which must establish a close relationship between the two of you.

Here's something about her life, but in Russian

http://www.pstbi.ru/bin/nkws.exe/eng/nm/?HYZ9EJxGHoxITYZCF2JMTcGUse0EdO0Ve8icse1ae8VyAXIiAH6iAHYpBbu2dOiUTawlA0slAHA*
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »

To add to this discussion, name days were the focus of celebrations historically also, because most  the faithful were largely illiterate and birthday's were not necessarily recalled, but the church's commemoration would be the guide as to when an individual's name day was celebrated.

Also, I never read or heard anything from the Orthodox Church about relaxing fasting rules due to a church feast day or a day a saint is commemorated, except as noted by the church, such as the Feast Day of the Annunciation to the Theotokos.  The Feast Day of St. George the Great Martyr is delayed if it occurs during the Great 40 Day Fast, to the day after Pascha, if I'm not mistaken.  I've seen bishops of Roman Catholic dioceses "relax" fast rules for the day St. Patrick the Enlighter of Ireland is commemorated.  In the RC diocese in which I reside, a previous bishop would routinely "relax" the fast rules on March 17th, but the current bishop announces routinely that fast rules should not be "relaxed" for this feast.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »

I looked it up, and my name day would be on the Dormition. I get a sad day...  Wink angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
joasia

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »

I looked it up, and my name day would be on the Dormition. I get a sad day...  Wink angel

What's your name?  And technically, it's a Feast Day, which doesn't make it sad.  Of course, you are referring to the actual event which I understand.  But, we can also eat that day.   Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »

Donna Marie.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »

The Dormition is sad only from a purely earthly perspective.  Study the icon of the feast, and look at the mandorla; Christ is holding the newborn soul of the Theotokos, in a form-reversal of the usual Theotokos & Child icon.

There's a reason why we celebrate Saints on the day of their earthly death, because it is the day of their Heavenly birth.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »

Thank you. That does make a difference.   Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 04:49:21 AM »

It may be worth noting, that on one's name day, among some Orthodox communions it is traditional to do something nice for someone else, preferably someone who would not be in a position to repay…at least not easily.  It's like an anti-birthday.  I knew one guy who for a few years while he was able would spend a couple of days cooking and then lay out a big spread on his name day for all the custodians and groundskeepers at the place where he worked. In the Serbian custom, on the family Saint's name day, they throw a big feast for friends and neighbors but are careful to invite some of the poor in the community to their gathering….which is interesting to me if you think about it.  In a large enough community of Orthodox families, there could be a couple of family feasts a week or more, and at each one some of the poor are being taken care of.  That strikes me as a lovely tradition.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:50:13 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: