OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:20:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truth in tension  (Read 296 times) Average Rating: 5
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: July 18, 2010, 04:10:38 PM »

When I hear sola scriptura Protestants talk about the inerrancy of Scripture, it often seems as if they mean that literally every individual sentence of Scripture is 100% true and authoritative in itself; but then it always seems like these sentences are being taken out of context. For example, politically conservative Evangelicals seize on St Paul's admonition to obey the worldly authorities, whereas liberal Christians seem to favor St Peter's "we must obey God not men"...

Would it be accurate to say that the Orthodox position is more or less that the truth lies precisely in the tension between such seemingly contradictory verses? that our understanding of Scripture is capable of holding together in harmonious tension a diversity of expressions within Scripture?

We view Scripture as a whole, which is to be taken as a whole (not to mention as part of a whole Tradition). Am I on the right track here?

Another example would be the differing creation narratives in Genesis.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:33:07 AM »

Actually I think that puts it very well, I like that terminology...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: