OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:17:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best men and bridesmaids  (Read 861 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: July 17, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »

Are non-Orthodox and non-Christians allowed to be bestmen and bridesmaids in Orthodox weddings?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

There are best men and bridesmaids in Orthodox weddings?  Huh
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »

There are best men and bridesmaids in Orthodox weddings?  Huh

As far as I can tell? I imagine practices differ by country.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:01:27 PM by samkim » Logged

Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »

Cultivate good Orthodox friends so this won't be a dilemma!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »

Just curious.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »

Well, maybe it is normal, lol. We just didn't have those at our wedding, but then it was sort of an emergency wedding, and I'm sure there was a lot of abnormal stuff going on. I don't know the answer to your question, though I would assume it'd be ok to have non-Orthodox in those capacities.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »

Are non-Orthodox and non-Christians allowed to be bestmen and bridesmaids in Orthodox weddings?
My ex's maid of honor was a nominal Orthodox. My best men was a communicant of the Vatican, as were two bridesmaids.  My relatives of the bestmen and bridesmaids were Lutherans. One of the groomsmen was a Muslim.  One was a recent convert who shortly thereafter went to Mt. Athos, was rebaptized (after being chrismated) and last I heard was in the monestary in AZ.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »

In the GOA, at least, the kmbaros "best man" and kumbara "maid of honor" must be Orthodox; specifically, who ever does the exchanging of the rings and the crowning must be Orthodox.  This is because they are intimate participants on an Orthodox Mystery.  I think the rule about other groomsmen and bridesmaids is more liberal.  It is traditional among the Greeks that the kumbaros gets to name and stand godfather to the firstborn son of the marriage, and only an Orthodox Christian can be godparent to another Orthodox Christian.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Fr.Patapios

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »

The Greek word for the Sponsor in Marriage is "paranymphos" and is both
masculine and feminine. In other words, the Sponsor, the person whose functions
it is in the ceremony to exchange the rings and/or the crowns, may be a man or a
woman. The Sponsor must, however, be of the Orthodox faith, free of any
impediment as regards Church law, and a practicing member of the Church. This is why at least ONE sponsor needs to be Orthodox. Other members of the bridal party are not required to be of the
Orthodox faith.

Fr. Patapios
LINK DISABLED

If you wish to continue using this link then it needs to appear in your signature box and not just as a signature in your post. I am posting our guidelines for posting to other websites so that you can correct your posting to be in compliance with the board rules.

Arimethea
Liturgy Section Moderator

In an attempt to prevent unsolicited [and potentially harmful] advertisements going out to our board members, the administration of Orthodoxchristianity.net requires that all of the below listed activities receive administration approval prior to being posted or sent out either publicly or via private message (PM):

1) Posting of a link/advertisement to any website not related to the ongoing thread discussion.  If it is the first topic in the thread, or if the link IS relevant to the conversation at hand, it is required that the poster post a paragraph of text from the article in question into the thread.  The poster can then include a DIRECT link to the article in that post below the paragraph of text.

2) Links to one's own blog as a means of advertisement, without citing the relevant part of the blog that the author is quoting, are not allowed.  However, alerting users to another blog is acceptable as long as it is relevant to a thread.

*Note: links in your signature are permissible and do not require authorization

3) Posting of links advertising any webfora, unless the link is made under the following conditions:
    a) The link is made to discuss a topic referred to on the other webfora.
    b) Permission from the author of the post on the 'linked to' webfora is received for this use.

What will NOT be accepted:

1) Request for any sort of donation: money, items, etc.
2) Private message to forum members:
    a) soliciting donations
    b) advertising other websites/fora
    c) sending chain letters
    d) sending threats or harassments.

As a reminder, you can use the "Report to moderator" function within both the board itself and also within private message if you feel at any time there is a violation of board policy taking place. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:43:04 AM by arimethea » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: