OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:00:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eggplant recipe help?  (Read 1331 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: July 17, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »

I'm wondering if someone can help me find a recipe, please? I have an eggplant which I'd like to cook up into some sort of lenten dish. I'd like to make it up in the Ukrainian style-quite simple and baked with garlic, I believe. Does anyone have such a recipe they can share with me-I so far can't find anything like this online? Many, many thanks in advance!!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »

It's more a spread/sidedish than a meal itself, but something like this, perhaps?

Ingredients
1 large eggplants
5-6 garlic cloves
1 to taste olive oil
1 to taste salt and pepper

Directions
With sharp paring knife, cut slits into eggplant.
Insert garlic slivers into each slit, using as few or many as you like.
Rub olive oil all over eggplant.
Put on hot grill, turning to cook evenly.
Eventually, the eggplant will sort of "deflate".
Remove from grill; set aside to cool a bit.
When cool enough to handle, cut a long slit in eggplant, open it up, and scrape out eggplant/garlic "innards".
Place in bowl, salt & pepper to taste.
Drizzle with a little olive oil.
Serve with pita chips or crackers.

source

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:17:09 PM »

Yes, that sounds very good! Thanks so much, Shultz! My googling skills must be seriously deficient, for I was unable to find anything like this.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »

Help, I must have done something wrong or else this isn't quite the same as the eggplant I've had made by Ukrainians. So, I am still sending out a request to everyone familiar with Eastern European cookery and who can kindly share their recipe(s) with me! Thanks again!

IreneOlinyk

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »

I'm wondering if someone can help me find a recipe, please? I have an eggplant which I'd like to cook up into some sort of lenten dish. I'd like to make it up in the Ukrainian style-quite simple and baked with garlic, I believe. Does anyone have such a recipe they can share with me-I so far can't find anything like this online? Many, many thanks in advance!!
When it comes to Ukrainian cooking always go to the source:  Olga Drozd a Ukrainian-Canadian.  It is free to join her group: Ukrainian Classic Kitchen.  Then you can ask you question.

http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/YaBB.pl
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »

Thanks so much, Irene! What a great forum! I'll be spending a lot of time there, I think!!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: