Author Topic: Catholic History  (Read 1414 times)

Offline dllwatkins

Catholic History
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
Hi, I've been wondering if a good general Church history from a Catholic perspective would be A Concise History of the Catholic Church by Thomas Bokenkotter?

I'm thinking of inexpensive and manageable, or maybe even a larger work that would be available online.

Thanks!
David

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Re: Catholic History
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »
Hi, I've been wondering if a good general Church history from a Catholic perspective would be A Concise History of the Catholic Church by Thomas Bokenkotter?

I'm thinking of inexpensive and manageable, or maybe even a larger work that would be available online.

Thanks!
David

Bokenkotter wrote a series of biographical sketches using the lives of various individuals to tell something of the story of the emergence of Catholic social justice in the modern age.   It is not even a brief overview of Catholic history.

M.

Offline dllwatkins

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »
Bokenkotter wrote a series of biographical sketches using the lives of various individuals to tell something of the story of the emergence of Catholic social justice in the modern age.   It is not even a brief overview of Catholic history.

M.
So you don't approve of this book, but do you have a suggestion of another?

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »

M.
So you don't approve of this book, but do you have a suggestion of another?

It is not a matter of not approving.  It is a matter of understanding its strengths and limitations.  There was a two volume history, an older one then, that I read 12 years ago that I would recommend, and I cannot for the life of me remember the authors name, so I have sent out some questions around the Internet to see if I can find it or find one that I would recommend.  I hope to get back to you with something in a few days if that's ok?  I only sent the notes out last night and I have another place to ask as well.

Mary

Offline dllwatkins

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
Thanks, Mary, I appreciate that.  I know there is a two-volume work by Kenneth Latourette, but I think it's Protestant.  I grew up with Protestant Church histories that jump from 318 to 1517 A.D., but I am interested to read a reliable view from the RCC on such things as Emperor Constantine "legalizing" Christianity and what followed, on the "Eastern Schism" (as Bokenkotter calls it), and on the 'Protestant Reformation."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:44:53 PM by dllwatkins »

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
Thanks, Mary, I appreciate that.  I know there is a two-volume work by Kenneth Latourette, but I think it's Protestant.  I grew up with Protestant Church histories that jump from 318 to 1517 A.D., but I am interested to read a reliable view from the RCC on such things as Emperor Constantine "legalizing" Christianity and what followed, on the "Eastern Schism" (as Bokenkotter calls it), and on the 'Protestant Reformation."

That is precisely what these two volumes would give you but I cannot find them and most of my most reliable sources have chimed in.   

I am fusserated that we cannot raise the title and author. 

One of the things you might do is look for texts on the history of the popes...but this one that I am thinking of is perfect for your interests...<sigh>....

M.

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »
Mary, are you thinking of the two volume history by Philip Hughes?

I see they are on www.bookfinder.com
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:01:07 PM by Irish Hermit »

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »

That is precisely what these two volumes would give you but I cannot find them and most of my most reliable sources have chimed in.   

I am fusserated that we cannot raise the title and author. 

One of the things you might do is look for texts on the history of the popes...but this one that I am thinking of is perfect for your interests...<sigh>....

M.

We found it!!....<G>....and it is on-line.  Don't let the title put you off...It was in the old daze and Msgr. Hughes was a confident man!!

http://www.franciscan-sfo.org/ap/hu/00-index.htm

Hope it helps.

M.

Offline dllwatkins

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »
Thanks so much, especially to find it online!  Should be very helpful.