OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:57:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Christian Orthodox view on hell and God?  (Read 1938 times) Average Rating: 0
Ai

Jurisdiction: Inquirer

« on: July 16, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum. The only flavours of Christianity that I am familiar with is Catholicism and Protestanism and I want to learn more about the Orthodox faith because I feel that there is little exposure to it.

I just wanted to know what are the Orthodox view of hell? I have read so many Orthodox say that the view of hell is different from the Protestant and Catholic one. Do Orthodox believe that people of other faiths and non-Orthodox Christians go to hell?

Also, is it true that Orthodoxy doesnt hold God as an angry judge like Protestantism does? I also read this comment from an Orthodox practitioner.

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:06:27 AM by Ai » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 12:51:20 AM »

The light of God's love shines equally on everyone. But our ability to experience the love of God determines whether or not that love brings us pleasure or pain. Those that accept the love of God will experience pleasure/happiness, those that reject God will experience pain.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:56:48 AM »

Do Orthodox believe that people of other faiths and non-Orthodox go to hell?

How can we as mere and imperfect mortals know who does or does not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven? God will be the one to decide who is worthy to enter.
Ai

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 01:00:54 AM »

Do Orthodox believe that people of other faiths and non-Orthodox go to hell?

How can we as mere and imperfect mortals know who does or does not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven? God will be the one to decide who is worthy to enter.

Wow, not once in my life have I ever heard another Christian say that. When a friend argued with a Protestant guy and quoted Judge not, lest ye be judged, his response was that he was saved and therefore he CAN talk about judgement.

Im inspired by your humility!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Ai.   Smiley

Ai

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:07:06 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Ai.   Smiley

Thank you  Grin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »

Orthodoxy is sometimes compared to a spiritual hospital, and it is said that humanity is in need of healing. Now, the condition of someone who doesn't go to this hospital can still be improved: God's grace is not confined to the hospital. Nonetheless, your chances of beginning the process of being healed are better if you go to the hospital.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags: Hell 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: