OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:36:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a Catholic explain how they observe Matthew 23:9?  (Read 3968 times) Average Rating: 0
hema1999
Moderated

Faith: use
Jurisdiction: no

« on: July 14, 2010, 07:03:53 AM »

I am the one asking, I just want a straight explanation. Shouldn't be difficult.

Hi I understand what you are saying, but, what I want to know is strictly how do Catholics observe it? I have not asked any other question than that.
================

I have asked you privately just yesterday....stop posting links to websites advertising products.

You are now publically warned to stop indulging in this behavior.

+FrChris
Admin
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:37:34 AM by FrChris » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:21:39 AM »

Here is a very simple and straight forward response:

http://www.catholic.com/library/Call_No_Man_Father.asp

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »

BTW,
Do you not call your dad "father"?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »

Wouldn't this question apply to Orthodox as well? I'm kind of curious as to why you singled out Catholics on an Orthodox forum. That being said, Papist's response is, as far as I can tell, correct.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »

Wouldn't this question apply to Orthodox as well? I'm kind of curious as to why you singled out Catholics on an Orthodox forum. That being said, Papist's response is, as far as I can tell, correct.
No.  The Vatican has appropriated the title "Father"-the literal meaning of "Pope"-and restricted to one and one bishop only.

The title is common among Slavic, Greek and Romanian Churches for any priest.  It was restricted in Egypt to the Patriarch of Alexandria as a title of respect, centuries before Rome took it.

As an indication of why the Orthodox have no problem with the verse in question, but the Vatican falls under condemnation, is that we still refer to the pope of Rome as the pope of Rome, but the patriarchs (all three of them) who claimed the see of Alexandria while submitted to the Vatican are not allowed to have the title of the Eastern counterpart (the Vatican's usual way of doing things with its "Eastern churches"): its church is not big enough for more than one pope.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 12:20:43 AM »

No.  The Vatican has appropriated the title "Father"-the literal meaning of "Pope"-and restricted to one and one bishop only.

The title is common among Slavic, Greek and Romanian Churches for any priest.  It was restricted in Egypt to the Patriarch of Alexandria as a title of respect, centuries before Rome took it.

As an indication of why the Orthodox have no problem with the verse in question, but the Vatican falls under condemnation, is that we still refer to the pope of Rome as the pope of Rome, but the patriarchs (all three of them) who claimed the see of Alexandria while submitted to the Vatican are not allowed to have the title of the Eastern counterpart (the Vatican's usual way of doing things with its "Eastern churches"): its church is not big enough for more than one pope.
Ah. The OP didn't really specify this, so I assumed he meant "Father" as a title of respect for priests.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:21:02 AM by That person » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »

So the Greeks, Romanians and slavs call their priests "pope" ? Give me a break.

My mom used to call our parish priest "Padre" which means father in Spanish. It would be very confusing calling all priests "Papa" (pope)

Mathew 23:9 says call no man father, it does not specify the usage of pope, although that word does mean "father". So what? Still,the accusation must be clarified if you call your priest "father".

Unless you want to confuse the issue with semantics

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:23:14 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 06:32:55 AM »

So the Greeks, Romanians and slavs call their priests "pope" ? Give me a break.

My mom used to call our parish priest "Padre" which means father in Spanish. It would be very confusing calling all priests "Papa" (pope)

Mathew 23:9 says call no man father, it does not specify the usage of pope, although that word does mean "father". So what? Still,the accusation must be clarified if you call your priest "father".

Unless you want to confuse the issue with semantics

The problem is that the Vatican makes the term "papa" definite, i.e. THE Pope, capital "P." That's what breaks Mat. 23:9, as shown by the Vatican forbidding the original use and time honored tradition of Alexandria by its primate in submission there (or rather, the two, formerly three, primates it claims to preside over that see).  The Vatican's church isn't big enough for two popes.

Rather than confusing, the Greek, Romanian and Slav usage, unlike the Vatican's, doesn't violate Mat. 23:9. In Arabic we use a different term for father for a priest (as does the alternative usage of Romanian)

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »

Yes, always remember, even if the RC *seem* to be doing the same thing as the EO in any given instance, it must nevertheless be different because the RC are *always* wrong.  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »

Yes, always remember, even if the RC *seem* to be doing the same thing as the EO in any given instance, it must nevertheless be different because the RC are *always* wrong.  Grin
At least Catholicism according to ialmisry. I swear sometimes I think he got his education about the Catholic Church from Jack Chick.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:42:14 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 02:11:16 PM »

Yes, always remember, even if the RC *seem* to be doing the same thing as the EO in any given instance, it must nevertheless be different because the RC are *always* wrong.  Grin
Two wrongs don't make a Rite.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »

I don't see the issue.

"Pater" became in romance languages various words: pai (Portuguese), padre(Spanish, Italian), père (French).

Most of these languages have endearing forms that are variations of "papá"(Spanish, Italian and French), "papai" (Portuguese).

In most of them "padre" is the word for a RC or OC priest. In French it's "prêtre", clearly a variation of the same.

Also, in most of them "Pope" is translated as some form of "Papa" (the endearing form), again, in French we have "Pape", a slight variation.

So, with the exception of bishops all are called "father" in daily life. The Greeks here do call the father "papá", although the accent, in Portuguese, differs from the word for "Pope" which would be "pápa".

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »

Yes, always remember, even if the RC *seem* to be doing the same thing as the EO in any given instance, it must nevertheless be different because the RC are *always* wrong.  Grin
At least Catholicism according to ialmisry. I swear sometimes I think he got his education about the Catholic Church from Jack Chick.
I got the only perfect score on the final exams of our class on "Our Catholic Faith." I was also the only one not in communion with the Vatican (though they gave it to me. I didn't drink the kool-aid though).

Papist's "Here is a very simple and straight forward response"
http://www.catholic.com/library/Call_No_Man_Father.asp
sidesteps the issue of the papacy. Calling priests "father" isn't an issue.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »

I don't see the issue.

"Pater" became in romance languages various words: pai (Portuguese), padre(Spanish, Italian), père (French).

Most of these languages have endearing forms that are variations of "papá"(Spanish, Italian and French), "papai" (Portuguese).

In most of them "padre" is the word for a RC or OC priest. In French it's "prêtre", clearly a variation of the same.

Also, in most of them "Pope" is translated as some form of "Papa" (the endearing form), again, in French we have "Pape", a slight variation.

So, with the exception of bishops all are called "father" in daily life. The Greeks here do call the father "papá", although the accent, in Portuguese, differs from the word for "Pope" which would be "pápa".
I am glad you clarified this. I really get tired of some folks splitting hairs compounding the issue through semantics. You have explained it rather well.

Just as you mentioned,  in Spanish we call the Pope, " Pápa". Our priests are called "Padre", or a more endearing form of father, "Padrecito". All meaning "father".

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Daddy-o.  Cheesy

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »

laugh just don't call him "Papa"..that would be unbiblical according to his interpretation.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »

laugh just don't call him "Papa"..that would be unbiblical according to his interpretation.
"Male parental unit" is out of the question too.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »

Two wrongs don't make a Rite.

Just had to say LOLOLOL!!!   Grin   Grin   Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: