OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 11:58:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Venerating Orthodox Relics in a Roman Catholic Church  (Read 3895 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »

I have a similar stance. I would not mind venerating some Eastern Orthodox Saints, but I would not venerate ones that were directly involved in the schism with the Roman Church. So the Eastern Orthodox Saints that are known as the "Pillars of Orthodoxy" that contributed to lack of union with the Western Church I would not feel comfortable venerating. Although...it is certainly possible they are still in heaven, but if they are then they would no longer be proud of what they did that got them recognized as a Saint within the Eastern Orthodox Church.

That may be the most obnoxious post that I've ever read here!
It's obnoxious to hold Catholic views as a Catholic?

Nope.  Predictable, maybe; poorly worded, usually; obnoxious, rarely.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »

LOL.  I do not doubt the sincerity of your motivation, nor did I fail to grasp the underlying principle of your post.  I was calling you out (again) for trolling (again).
How was I trolling? Severian said basically the same thing as I did about venerating EO Saints and he did not get reprimanded. He said he wouldn't feel comfortable venerating EO Saints who played a role in the Christological controversies. I agreed with his post and said that I, likewise, would feel uneasy to venerate EO Saints who played a controversial role in the Great Schism. Why is his post okay but mine is dubbed "trolling"?

You then took it a step further, musing on both their eternal state and their state of mind, knowing fully well how those musings would play out on a forum like this.  It's your opinion, you're free to hold it, but, IMO, it was intentionally over-the-top.  But hey - without posts like yours (among others), I wouldn't realize how utterly irenic most other people's posts are!  I sometimes need to better appreciate the food chain around here.
And those musings were totally logical from a Catholic standpoint. If they are in heaven (which I believe there is a good chance that they still are) it is not by their severing ties with the Catholic Church. I still don't understand the scandal in saying that. In fact, if it was one of our Saints that did anything questionable to the Eastern Orthodox or the Eastern Orthodox Church, there are more than a few posters on here who would say that they are likely in hell right now.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »

LOL.  I do not doubt the sincerity of your motivation, nor did I fail to grasp the underlying principle of your post.  I was calling you out (again) for trolling (again).
How was I trolling? Severian said basically the same thing as I did about venerating EO Saints and he did not get reprimanded. He said he wouldn't feel comfortable venerating EO Saints who played a role in the Christological controversies. I agreed with his post and said that I, likewise, would feel uneasy to venerate EO Saints who played a controversial role in the Great Schism. Why is his post okay but mine is dubbed "trolling"?
Because his Church and our Church are/is reconciling, and your ecclesial community is not.

The discomfiture Severian feels comes from the realization that the EO and OO Fathers were teaching the same thing, but were not aware of that.  You admit that the Pillars of Orthodoxy were not teaching what your Vatican teaches.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

LOL.  I do not doubt the sincerity of your motivation, nor did I fail to grasp the underlying principle of your post.  I was calling you out (again) for trolling (again).
Because his Church and our Church are/is reconciling, and your ecclesial community is not.
Ecclesial community?

The discomfiture Severian feels comes from the realization that the EO and OO Fathers were teaching the same thing, but were not aware of that.  You admit that the Pillars of Orthodoxy were not teaching what your Vatican teaches.
They were not teaching the faith of my Church insofar as they taught to be separated from it. I'm entirely willing to accept that most of their other teaching was orthodox.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »

Alveus,

I know the place you're talking about.  these nuns at this convent basically took in all of these relics which were going to be destroyed (i kid you not) following Vatican II when the council decreed you didn't need relics anymore in the altars or in the churches. 

Of course Vatican II decreed no such thing. Even the 1983 Code of Canon Law says it is fitting for relics to be preserved in fixed altars. Yes, in the Iconoclastic frenzy, lots of evil things were done.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Deacon Lance.

It's astonishing all of the things done in the name of Vatican II which actually were gross violations of what the Council actually said.

LOL, I've got to stop repeating myself every year.  Wink
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »

Blessedly, the relic of the True Cross, after which our Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston in named, was returned last year. Somewhere out there, some Italians must have been praying that the thief get a "bout of the sh*ts"  Wink
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »

I have a similar stance. I would not mind venerating some Eastern Orthodox Saints, but I would not venerate ones that were directly involved in the schism with the Roman Church. So the Eastern Orthodox Saints that are known as the "Pillars of Orthodoxy" that contributed to lack of union with the Western Church I would not feel comfortable venerating. Although...it is certainly possible they are still in heaven, but if they are then they would no longer be proud of what they did that got them recognized as a Saint within the Eastern Orthodox Church.

That may be the most obnoxious post that I've ever read here!
It's obnoxious to hold Catholic views as a Catholic?

It's obnoxious to hold Catholic views as a Wyatt.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags: relics ialmisry's b.s. 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: