OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 01:05:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priestly Waiting Period by Jurisdiction  (Read 653 times) Average Rating: 0
Hamartolos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Gregory the Theologian, intercede for my soul.

« on: July 13, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »

Hi everyone.

I've posted on here before asking about the length of time required of converts before being able to enter the seminary.  Recently, I was talking with my sponsor who said I may want to consider another jurisdiction (although he said he didn't want me to leave!) who may have a less strict policy in this matter.  I haven't found much information on this but within the AOCA, the period is now 5 years after a conversion.  Personally, I think this makes a lot of sense in many different ways.  Also, I'm very fond of the Antiochian Archdiocese and doubt I'd leave it.  However, it would be a great help to me if anyone could answer this question. 

Does anyone know what other jurisdiction's policies are in this regard? 

Formerly known as "mctaviix"
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:54:49 PM »

Five years is good, although 10 would be even better.
Nothing less than five, though.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »

It should be left up to the bishop, who decides on the circumstances.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Hamartolos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Gregory the Theologian, intercede for my soul.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »

Ok, more specifically...does anyone know what the position is in the OCA or GOA? 

I understand everyone has their opinions but I'm only looking to find out what their official stance is. 

Formerly known as "mctaviix"
Michael L
Priest Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »

Ok, more specifically...does anyone know what the position is in the OCA or GOA? 

I understand everyone has their opinions but I'm only looking to find out what their official stance is. 

Honestly, it is up to the Bishops. I think you would have to contact the Bishop directly for their requirement (write them a letter), I would suspect that changing jurisdications for the purposes of a faster ordination would be a turn off for most Bishops. For what it is worth I am not keen on having a minimum requirement of "being Orthodox" prior to ordination. IMHO, A case by case scenario should be taken for each individual.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:16:51 AM »

Honestly, it is up to the Bishops. I think you would have to contact the Bishop directly for their requirement (write them a letter)

A GOA bishop I know prefers to be contacted directly and also to meet the person face-to-face, sometimes several times. There seem to be various outcomes, probably depending on the Bishop's (and his priest or spiritual father's) assessment.
AFAIK, there's no "legal" minimum.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »

I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, but why the rush?  I'm not saying that you don't have a calling from God to serve in His priesthood, but again, why the rush?  The chrism is barely dry and now you want to hold the lamb in your hand (for which you will be called before Christ's judgment seat to examine whether you distributed it faithfully)?  Christ's priesthood will last for a long time.  It will still be there after a long period of discernment for you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: Ordination jurisdiction 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: