OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 05:04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mutual Forgiveness...  (Read 573 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 13, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »

Over the past couple months, I've been participating in this forum as well as other Christian forums, and I've begun to notice certain trends that weren't as noticeable before (they were there, but were more rare).

I've begun to see rifts develop between people, between Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Protestants etc... As well as within faiths themselves.

I've seen appalling comments by people that are supposed to be the light of Christ showing into the world (myself included), but instead we try to use that light to burn others that disagree with us.

Eventually, last night, I begun to really question some things and really began hurting when I saw comments like these. I then realized... This is how Satan wishes to destroy us, and the Church. He tempts us and then we submit to his temptations. When we abuse one another, or when we abuse others, that is us submitting to his will and thus he is not only drawing us away from Christ, but he is also drawing others away from Christ as well...

He's trying to use us against one another. He wants to divide us against one another, not just to cause schisms, but to lead outsiders away from us and our Church.

Please, let's all check ourselves and step back, think and pray before we speak, ask forgiveness when we've hurt someone, no matter if we are "right".

I know I'm a horrible hypocrite when it comes to this, but we all need to watch out and guard ourselves...

Lord, have mercy on us all and forgive us!

Please forgive me brothers and sisters...
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on me, a sinner.
rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:02:53 PM »

Over the past couple months, I've been participating in this forum as well as other Christian forums, and I've begun to notice certain trends that weren't as noticeable before (they were there, but were more rare).

I've begun to see rifts develop between people, between Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Protestants etc... As well as within faiths themselves.

You think this is increasing on the forum? Maybe it is just itnernet life. It can be harder to see where the other person is coming from when it is just digits on a screen.

I've seen appalling comments by people that are supposed to be the light of Christ showing into the world (myself included), but instead we try to use that light to burn others that disagree with us.

Eventually, last night, I begun to really question some things and really began hurting when I saw comments like these. I then realized... This is how Satan wishes to destroy us, and the Church. He tempts us and then we submit to his temptations. When we abuse one another, or when we abuse others, that is us submitting to his will and thus he is not only drawing us away from Christ, but he is also drawing others away from Christ as well...

He's trying to use us against one another. He wants to divide us against one another, not just to cause schisms, but to lead outsiders away from us and our Church.

Please, let's all check ourselves and step back, think and pray before we speak, ask forgiveness when we've hurt someone, no matter if we are "right".

I know I'm a horrible hypocrite when it comes to this, but we all need to watch out and guard ourselves...

Sure, we just try to do our best and show the other person that we care about them.

Maybe as an example, I think the debate about Orientals' theology is important so we can reunite. But we also need right understanding of these ideas, not just putting reuniting first and theology at nothing. So I encourage people to talk about it for understanding the issues, and remind them that I want to see such unity.

God Be With You.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »

It isn't about "ecumenism" or "discussion", we can have discussion without calling one another heretics or offering veiled insults... I've seen this way too much on this website (and others)...

Please forgive me...
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »

It isn't about "ecumenism" or "discussion", we can have discussion without calling one another heretics or offering veiled insults... I've seen this way too much on this website (and others)...

Please forgive me...

Indeed. I ask forgiveness of those that I have offended as well.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »

With all due respect, Devin, I've not seen what you have observed on this forum.

Be that as it may, let us all forgive one another for the sake of the Resurrection of our Lord.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »

Thank you for your wise insights brother. How can I repsond other than begging forgiveness from those whom I have offended and asking God for His mercy?

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:00:56 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »

I don't think it's new, or unique to this forum.

Once saw a flame war erupt on a site dedicated to women with long hair - one of the women had cut her hair shoulder-length and dared to mention how much easier it was to care for.  Sacrilege!!  Roll Eyes  

(and no, it wasn't me ... though I was sorely tempted!) Grin
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:34:35 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: