OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:03:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: singles?  (Read 14712 times) Average Rating: 0
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »

But you're not anymore, so maybe that's not so bad tactic  laugh

Long-term one, that's for sure Smiley
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »

But you're not anymore, so maybe that's not so bad tactic  laugh

Long-term one, that's for sure Smiley

But unless you're not so impatient (e.g like me), the effect is most important and it's worth to use this method although it's a long-term one.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2013, 12:52:27 AM »

I just want a woman that's decently attractive, can cook (or order take out if she can't  Wink) and will give me my space. I hate the emotional clingy-ness and always-wanting-to-talk thing that so many women have. I love you, but jeeze, why do I need to talk to you about it every waking moment of the day? Finally, it'd be nice if she could satisfy my ego every once in a while; you know, sit me down on my favorite chair, bring me my coffee and a hot meal, wear something attractive, massage me while I eat and just tell me how wise, knowledgeable and attractive of a man I am  angel

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2013, 01:40:15 AM »

it'd be nice if she could satisfy my ego every once in a while

You want a woman, or a miracle worker?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2013, 02:25:58 AM »

it'd be nice if she could satisfy my ego every once in a while

You want a woman, or a miracle worker?

You saying JamesR is the Hellen Keller of dating?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2013, 02:55:23 AM »

I just want a woman that's decently attractive, can cook (or order take out if she can't  Wink) and will give me my space. I hate the emotional clingy-ness and always-wanting-to-talk thing that so many women have. I love you, but jeeze, why do I need to talk to you about it every waking moment of the day? Finally, it'd be nice if she could satisfy my ego every once in a while; you know, sit me down on my favorite chair, bring me my coffee and a hot meal, wear something attractive, massage me while I eat and just tell me how wise, knowledgeable and attractive of a man I am  angel
For what it's worth, I suggest be very picky and avoid any consideration of all american and most european women as well as recognize that most advice about these kinds of things is poison that will destroy our lives if we let it.  To restate the last bit politely, a good marriage can be preserved by dumping many a worthless "friend." 
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2013, 04:50:22 AM »

In case some people hadn't guessed already, I'm single  angel
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:51:17 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2013, 07:26:49 AM »

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »

Remember that you gets what you pays for, and hire a maid. Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #234 on: March 30, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »

(img)

Thank you, I guess...

-Samuel Coleridge
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #235 on: March 30, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »

Thank you, I guess...

The pleasure is all mine. All. Believe me.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #236 on: March 30, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »

I smell a bromance in the making...  Kiss

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #237 on: March 30, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »

I smell a bromance in the making...  Kiss

When all is said <3
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »

Met a really nice girl at the Pascha service last night but she's leaving for a different state very soon...  Undecided My luck is the worst
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:55:51 PM by NightOwl » Logged
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #239 on: May 10, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »

Met a really nice girl at the Pascha service last night but she's leaving for a different state very soon...  Undecided My luck is the worst

try long distance maybe... Wink
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #240 on: November 06, 2013, 02:07:29 AM »

Romaios, want to start a business importing those St. Catherine rings?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #241 on: November 06, 2013, 02:58:52 AM »

Romaios, want to start a business importing those St. Catherine rings?

Why sure! If we sell one to every single ocnetter...  Tongue
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #242 on: November 06, 2013, 03:17:01 AM »

I finally met a cute guy at church on Sunday. I left almost right after service though because I had some work to do. I still didn't get enough time to do that work.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #243 on: November 06, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »

Did not want to open a new topic for this (but can be done so if admins want to)...do you guys believein soul mates or the existnce in the right one...can you be certain when you meet the right person that such is the person you have been waiting for and praying for. Do you know of any cases?
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #244 on: November 07, 2013, 12:39:25 AM »

Did not want to open a new topic for this (but can be done so if admins want to)...do you guys believein soul mates or the existnce in the right one...can you be certain when you meet the right person that such is the person you have been waiting for and praying for. Do you know of any cases?

Sure, I believe in soul mates. God made Adam a perfect mate. I think He made for each person, a perfect match.

But, I don't have anything experience-wise to share with that belief; I am not looking for a mate at the moment.  laugh
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:40:28 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2013, 12:50:39 AM »

Well, I am met a priest who claims that he prayed to God...and that he got what he prayed for. Grin

I hope that finding the "right person" is almost impissible or perhaps better to say rare...there is so much to consider...patience, circumstances, despair, frustration...I just am certain that marrying someone is one of the biggest decisions to make and us not something that should be rushed. It's just that when I look around, I do not see the "perfect" couple...only few have appeared so.
Perhaps the most troubling thing is how to distinguish between "God will take care of it" and " God gave you the looks and other means and you should use them...and not just wait for HER to knock on you door."
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »

do you guys believein soul mates or the existnce in the right one...

In some way yes. But only in some way. I mean, that God gives us some occasions to meet such person(s) with whom we can be good marriage which is a path to Salvation we cross together. But it doesn't mean such person is an ideal (we have to adapt to each other, change ourselves a bit) or that it'll be a certain moment to meet him/her and if we don't use the chance, it'll never repeat. It's difficult to describe what's my opinion on it as sometimes I think that there is a particular man that God would like I married him and just have to wait for the proper time to meet him.

can you be certain when you meet the right person that such is the person you have been waiting for and praying for.

That's the most important thing. Waiting - it means to keep the virginity to give the spouse it. And praying - it's just to trust that God knows better who and when, and it's not only the prayer to meet in right moment the right person, but it's also an ask to God to recognize that this is the right moment and the right person. I've heard about such prayers that the people got what they'd prayed for. And that's also the advice of my priest to me: to wait and to pray to meet the right person. In his case it has worked. But for now i have some moments of scepticism, because it's very difficult to find a nice (by look and personality) man, that's Orthodox Christian (or even just a Christian) and not married/in a relationship. At least it's difficult here, in Poland. And I know, I'm quite specific person, that makes the issue more problematic Wink

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »

I had a Subway sandwich bag in my hand and the Rite Aid clerk said "You are lucky to have Subway, I haven't eaten since 12".

Coulda ran with it but hey she kinda gave me a feminine Ben Stein vibe with the voice, so it was sorta a turn off.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:28:03 PM by Shiny » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #248 on: November 08, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »

do you guys believein soul mates or the existnce in the right one...can you be certain when you meet the right person that such is the person you have been waiting for and praying for. Do you know of any cases?

Silly Westerners and their romantic ideals. I believe no one in their right mind believed anything like this few hundred years ago.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »

I think that the silly idea is that God's providence has everything planned for us except our romantic partner.

Now, I don't think that the meeting of the two people who are to love each other and get married as planned by Providence follows the chick flick routine, or star-crossed scripts. It's a terribly messy thing and as with our own salvation, can go very wrong.

God's plans for us, including our partner, are invitations, not a path He forces or manipulates us into walking.

do you guys believein soul mates or the existnce in the right one...can you be certain when you meet the right person that such is the person you have been waiting for and praying for. Do you know of any cases?

Silly Westerners and their romantic ideals. I believe no one in their right mind believed anything like this few hundred years ago.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:50:23 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »

I think that the silly idea is that God's providence has everything planned for us except our romantic partner.

God doesn't have everything planned for us. He gave us free will and expects us to use it.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »

It's a terribly messy thing

Let me complement that... It's messy because our hearts are filled with impurity. Everything related to love is childlike simple. It's us that have become unable to "be like children" in everything, including romantic love. All the perfectly divine, beautiful, just and good insights that we have about love in our most innocent age, we put behind under the label of "imaturity" or from the fear of being hurt. We settle for lukewarm relations, or lustful relations, or no relations at all, just because we do not want to repent from the fact that we may have broken that original supernatural love, or because it is very difficult to understand how the other part could not see what was so clear for us.

In any case, only trusting the God who is Three and One, Divine and Human, we can go forward believing that we will find true love, although we went through the death of true love.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #252 on: November 08, 2013, 12:06:02 PM »

God doesn't have everything planned for us. He gave us free will and expects us to use it.

He does. Every single second in His desiring will.

God's perfect planning of our lives does not imply a contradiction with our free will.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:06:43 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »

God's perfect planning of our lives does not imply a contradiction with our free will.

Quote from: Jason Wisdom
Dear young Christian: don’t waste years confused about God’s plan for you. His plan is that you be conformed to the image of Christ. Go live.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #254 on: November 08, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »

They did, actually. Wasn't Romeo and Juliet written a few hundred years ago?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:27:15 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »

I still don't think it was similar kind of mainstream idea that Putnik Namernik, Fabio Leite and the like are promoting. AFAIK it used to be more like a contract between two familylines. Of course there was a lot variation between different cultures though.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:40:23 PM by Alpo » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »

All the perfectly divine, beautiful, just and good insights that we have about love in our most innocent age, we put behind under the label of "imaturity" or from the fear of being hurt. We settle for lukewarm relations, or lustful relations, or no relations at all, just because we do not want to repent from the fact that we may have broken that original supernatural love, or because it is very difficult to understand how the other part could not see what was so clear for us.

Your theory is seriously flawed. I can't remember having insights about love in my "most innocent age", let alone just and good insights.

I still don't think it was similar kind of mainstream idea that Putnik Namernik, Fabi Leite are promoting. AFAIK it used to be more like a contract between two familylines. Of course there was a lot variation between different cultures though.

Those things (the idea of romantic love and the idea of marriage as a deal between two families) don't necessarily exclude eachother.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:47:53 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »

Those things (the idea of romantic love and the idea of marriage as a deal between two families) don't necessarily exclude eachother.

Not theoretically but in practice they do. Nowadays these ideas are extremely individualistic.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »

...so, "falling in love" is a fairly new invention?  

Are you saying that a thousand years ago, two people couldn't meet and fall in love with each other?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 12:52:30 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

Are you saying that a thousand years ago, two people couldn't meet and fall in love with each other?
I fear we may lose the ability to fall in love someday.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »

Nope. I'm saying it wasn't necessarily that essential aspect of marriages back in the days.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #261 on: November 08, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »

Quote from: Jason Wisdom
Dear young Christian: don’t waste years confused about God’s plan for you. His plan is that you be conformed to the image of Christ. Go live.

Quote from: Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you,’ declared the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”.

Quote from: Genesis 2:18
The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.

As for romantic love in Antiquity:

Quote from: Song of Songs 4
How beautiful you are, my darling!
    Oh, how beautiful!
    Your eyes behind your veil are doves.
Your hair is like a flock of goats
    descending from the hills of Gilead.
2 Your teeth are like a flock of sheep just shorn,
    coming up from the washing.
Each has its twin;
    not one of them is alone.
3 Your lips are like a scarlet ribbon;
    your mouth is lovely.
Your temples behind your veil
    are like the halves of a pomegranate.
4 Your neck is like the tower of David,
    built with courses of stone;
on it hang a thousand shields,
    all of them shields of warriors.
5 Your breasts are like two fawns,
    like twin fawns of a gazelle
    that browse among the lilies.
6 Until the day breaks
    and the shadows flee,
I will go to the mountain of myrrh
    and to the hill of incense.
7 You are altogether beautiful, my darling;
    there is no flaw in you.
8 Come with me from Lebanon, my bride,
    come with me from Lebanon.
Descend from the crest of Amana,
    from the top of Senir, the summit of Hermon,
from the lions’ dens
    and the mountain haunts of leopards.
9 You have stolen my heart, my sister, my bride;
    you have stolen my heart
with one glance of your eyes,
    with one jewel of your necklace.
10 How delightful is your love, my sister, my bride!
    How much more pleasing is your love than wine,
and the fragrance of your perfume
    more than any spice!
11 Your lips drop sweetness as the honeycomb, my bride;
    milk and honey are under your tongue.
The fragrance of your garments
    is like the fragrance of Lebanon.
12 You are a garden locked up, my sister, my bride;
    you are a spring enclosed, a sealed fountain.
13 Your plants are an orchard of pomegranates
    with choice fruits,
    with henna and nard,
14     nard and saffron,
    calamus and cinnamon,
    with every kind of incense tree,
    with myrrh and aloes
    and all the finest spices.
15 You are a garden fountain,
    a well of flowing water
    streaming down from Lebanon.

And yet, it is this kind of romantic, erotic love that is one of the first references and metaphor for the prayer of the heart:

Quote from: Song of Songs 5
I slept but my heart was awake.

Jesus' said that not one piece of our hair falls without God's knowledge and that the Father will take care of us even better than of the flowers and the birds. How can anyone believe that our wife or husband is not taken care of by God?

I can understand why people should oppose the unrealistic images from romantic movies, but there is today a strange trend in certain Christian circles to oppose that by making husband-wife meeting the only exception in the universe for God's providence. Weird.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:03:37 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2013, 01:04:52 PM »

You might be reading your own culture into those verses.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »

The Song of Songs is probably a bad example because it's symbolic. The Amatory Poems in the Greek Anthology is a good example of romantic love in Antiquity. Strato of Sardis' Musa Puerilis is a good example of its homosexual variety.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:12:15 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »

You might be reading your own culture into those verses.

More likely your prejudices are preventing you from seeing the obvious: being passionate about your wife, even physically, is not a sin as long as you still love God more.

God saw fit that an erotic poem about the passionate love between husband and wife was a good image of His own relation with the Church and that the kind of passionate love a wife has for the husband is a good prefiguration of the prayer of the heart. St. Dyonisos, the Aeropagite, could live with that highlighting that what unites us with God is a kind of passionate love (eros), so can I, and so should everybody.

As with everything, it's the misuse of passionate romantic love that is the problem, not the feeling itself.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »

The Song of Songs is probably a bad example because it's symbolic. The Amatory Poems in the Greek Anthology is a good example of romantic love in Antiquity. Strato of Sardis' Musa Puerilis its homosexual variety.

It's used as a symbol, but, honestly, it takes a lot of effort to not see that it was first and foremost a love song that was later and legitimaly read as a symbol *because* in it romantic love is depicted in its most pure and holy form.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »

I am with Alpo.  I don't think our 'soulmates' are out there waiting for us.  I think that by our free will we are allowed to make someone into our 'soulmate', though.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #267 on: November 08, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »

God's allknowing attribute does not dimish our free will. Same as God knows what is the bes for us, it does not mean that he is going to enforce it to us. He is going to show us this option (meeting our soul mate indirectly as a friend of the friend or soneome you meet what you think to be random. We at the end choose whether to follow up on that. We have friends and family members suggesting to us that this girl or that girl might be good for us. It is not an arranged marriage but a simple suggestion. There is someone out there for us who will accept us for who we are and perhaps even hekp u better ourselves. However I am more inclined to believe that there is more than one person...so i you miss out on this one girl it is not the end of it.
I repeat, the only thing I am not certain if I will be able to distinguish between the right one and the oher whom I have idolized and whose faults I omit to see therefore being the only obne to blame....
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »

Dominika, both of us.might need to go to Serbia more often... Grin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:52:23 PM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »

I don't think our 'soulmates' are out there waiting for us.  I think that by our free will we are allowed to make someone into our 'soulmate', though.

Good said in short words.
Dominika, both of us.might need to go to Serbia more often... Grin

Definitely yes...  Grin Although I prefer fair men, but for sure there are some exceptions... Wink

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: