Author Topic: singles?  (Read 102568 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Re: singles?
« Reply #630 on: June 16, 2018, 03:36:03 AM »
An update: I was talking with him yesterday; unfortunately, he eventually hasn't converted in Polish Orthodox Church - he had been preparing for thsi 2 years, but now he's goint to be re-baptised and received into Orthodoxy in an Old Calendarist Greek jurisdiction that started to gather ex-members of the POC (that are frustread by some bad things in our Church, plus think the mainstream Orthodoxy, especially POC, is too "ecumenical"), for now they don't have parish there, only in Slovakia - actually, it's an interesting thing for separate topic, but rather for private fora. He claims he wasn't aware that in Poland there is "another option" than POC but now he says he discover not fanatistm, but true Gospel. I'm sorry for him,a s he's good guy, but I have always impression in such cases - maybe I'm wrong? - that inlooking for the true Orthodoxy and faithfulness to the canons, they're loosing Christ in their mindset. Anyway, indeed, it would "be dodging a lot of bullets".
May your study abroad yield sane friends to replace the old!
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #631 on: June 16, 2018, 03:42:11 AM »
I've been in touch over a few months with a Polish Orthodox guy, being a convert, knowledgeable, handsome, but I'm "too liebral for him", despite the fact that I "attract him both physically and intelectually".
You make it sound like you are, to use an American expression, dodging a lot of bullets.
An update: I was talking with him yesterday; unfortunately, he eventually hasn't converted in Polish Orthodox Church - he had been preparing for thsi 2 years, but now he's goint to be re-baptised and received into Orthodoxy in an Old Calendarist Greek jurisdiction that started to gather ex-members of the POC (that are frustread by some bad things in our Church, plus think the mainstream Orthodoxy, especially POC, is too "ecumenical"), for now they don't have parish there, only in Slovakia - actually, it's an interesting thing for separate topic, but rather for private fora. He claims he wasn't aware that in Poland there is "another option" than POC but now he says he discover not fanatistm, but true Gospel. I'm sorry for him,a s he's good guy, but I have always impression in such cases - maybe I'm wrong? - that inlooking for the true Orthodoxy and faithfulness to the canons, they're loosing Christ in their mindset. Anyway, indeed, it would "be dodging a lot of bullets".

I've got invitation to wedding of next friend that's getting married in July. I'm happy for her. But I'm unhappy for me - I don't have a good candidate to go together. Well, at least at this wedding there will be one of my friends beyond the bride - last year I was at wedding that I knew well only the groom and his friends that were present at the reception were in pairs, so I went with a guy to whom I had said some time earlier that us as a couple couldn't work (he's not Orthodox, but Catholic, with some "loose" thinking about premarital sex, plus actually he doesn't attract me physically), and it was an error. But on the other hand, I had no other choice - my best friend that's male now lives abroad, I still have a few male aquitances that are not married yet, but they're not into parties or are able to make some troubles.
Normally I'd go with one of my female friends, but it's still not well perceived in Poland (it's always suspicious).
It's really a shame, that I don't have anybody even to go to a wedding reception, not even mention to have a candidate to have our own wedding reception.
A deacon from another city (actually, one of the biggest Polish cities, and there are 14 parishes, most of them have a few - 7? - thousands members) that's also a techaer offered me 2 weeks ago help to find a partner for this wedding. He's still not foudn anybody, he says it's difficult task. Probably because it's difficult to find somebody in the Polish Orthodox society that I don't know/he doesn't know me, and there are not so many Orthodox single males, in age 23-36 (I said him this age range as a perfect one). Of course, a partner for wedding doesnt' need to be Orthodox, but it means it'll be really difficult to find a good candidate to get married... :(

I really wish you the best of luck in this,  I will be praying for you.   I have to confess to having a bit of what one might call a “crush” on you, :-[ , but whereas I am at least nominally compliant with the attributes you listed, I think you deserve much more than a cantankerous, opinionated American computer geek. :x :P

Why would you seriously admit that in public? That's a terrible spot to put somebody in.
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #632 on: June 16, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
I really wish you the best of luck in this,  I will be praying for you.   
Thanks, that's what I (and everybody) need.

I have to confess to having a bit of what one might call a “crush” on you, :-[ , but whereas I am at least nominally compliant with the attributes you listed, I think you deserve much more than a cantankerous, opinionated American computer geek. :x :P
Haha, thanks again. Yeah, I can't imagine only liturgical discussions during the dates  :laugh:

Btw the Gdansk area I visited when I was 17; my mother and I walked down the beach from Sopot to Gydnia, where there were swans in the Baltic.  Does the POC have parishes there?   Later this summer I am planning on visiting Portugal with one of my friends who is of Lusitanian birth, but alas their church would have to go and schism from your Church, arghh.  :P
Since every major city in Poland has at leas one Orthodox church, so it also applies to Gdańsk. I've never visited this parish, but I follow them on FB and know some parishioners, it seems it's a really nice community.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #633 on: June 16, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »

I have to confess to having a bit of what one might call a “crush” on you, :-[ , but whereas I am at least nominally compliant with the attributes you listed, I think you deserve much more than a cantankerous, opinionated American computer geek. :x :P
Haha, thanks again. Yeah, I can't imagine only liturgical discussions during the dates  :laugh:

Btw the Gdansk area I visited when I was 17; my mother and I walked down the beach from Sopot to Gydnia, where there were swans in the Baltic.  Does the POC have parishes there?   Later this summer I am planning on visiting Portugal with one of my friends who is of Lusitanian birth, but alas their church would have to go and schism from your Church, arghh.  :P
Since every major city in Poland has at leas one Orthodox church, so it also applies to Gdańsk. I've never visited this parish, but I follow them on FB and know some parishioners, it seems it's a really nice community.

I am profoundly horrified that you don’t find the endlessly fascinating history of the different versions of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil appropriate subject matter for a date!   :P

That said, amusingly enough, and also coincidentally when I was 17, I had an older girlfriend who was in college studying metrology, and we actually did discuss it on a date!  And it was not our last date either by any means.   I was not at the time very knowledgeable with the field of metrology, which relates to measurements, and she liked to talk about it, so we had quite a lot of fun in that respect.   She was originally from Montreal, and is a very nice person.  I had a bit of fun when I was 17, with my brainy Canadienne girlfriend and travelling in Europe. Alas.

~

The parish in Gdansk looks splendid.  I remember seeing that building from the outside; alas I did not go inside, I only toured the large Catholic cathedral with the carillon.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:42:49 AM by Alpha60 »
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #634 on: June 16, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »

what beautiful churches,  I have been to Poland! and visited Polish orthodox churches to pray with some Slavic brethren and I stayed for a whole service :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »
I am profoundly horrified that you don’t find the endlessly fascinating history of the different versions of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil appropriate subject matter for a date!   :P

From time to time it would be OK, especially during Great Lent or around some great feasts, it's like a button "liturgics" turned on in me, even at talks with attractive gusy ;P but always, as i said: to some extend, and from time to time ;>

That said, amusingly enough, and also coincidentally when I was 17, I had an older girlfriend who was in college studying metrology, and we actually did discuss it on a date!  And it was not our last date either by any means.   I was not at the time very knowledgeable with the field of metrology, which relates to measurements, and she liked to talk about it, so we had quite a lot of fun in that respect.   She was originally from Montreal, and is a very nice person.  I had a bit of fun when I was 17, with my brainy Canadienne girlfriend and travelling in Europe. Alas.
Well, it's not something strange ;)

what beautiful churches,  I have been to Poland! and visited Polish orthodox churches to pray with some Slavic brethren and I stayed for a whole service :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
That's great you say so :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #636 on: June 16, 2018, 11:37:19 PM »

From time to time it would be OK, especially during Great Lent or around some great feasts, it's like a button "liturgics" turned on in me, even at talks with attractive gusy ;P but always, as i said: to some extend, and from time to time ;>

Indeed.  Just so we’re clear I don’t normally make a point of talkimg about liturgics while on a date; I don’t regard my Horologion or my other liturgical books as essential accessories for a date.

That being said, I do frequently have a small Orthodox prayer book on my person or a prayer rope, but I am sure that applies to many of us.  I also have much of my liturgical library theoretically available on my iPhone, so hypothetically if in Lent I was on a date with someone who felt an urgent need to review a diagram of how the Prosphora are to be divided in a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, I have a PDF of Fr. Aidan Keller’s very excellent liturgikon.

But frankly that would not be a good date in my opinion.  I would much rather have dinner, attend a concert, or do something along the lines of exploration, like go for a trip on a scenic railway.   At present I live in a city with a monorail, not too many of those in the US, but a ride on that coupled with a lovely dinner and a walk through some of the scenic areas, or a trip to a prominent natural wonder, like a forest or mountain, that’s a date.   One of the best dates in my life was when I was 25, in the UK, and I went with my girlfriend on an excursion to the town of Bath, where we toured the ancient Roman baths, which were fascinating and beautiful.   People were allowed to swim in them until a few decades ago; somehow a bacterium got into the waterworks that convey the spring into the pool, and this makes accidentally drinking the water somewhat dangerous, and apparently chlorination would not be feasible due to the antiquity.  However, just the beautiful bath, by itself, this empty reserve of steaming water, surrounded by Roman columns and statues, was a thrilling sight to behold.   

There is a modern health spa with a pool in the town connected to the same spring, but in a biologically secure manner, but this was not of interest to us; we wanted to see an ancient Roman bath, not go for a plunge in a glorified swimming pool.

The English countryside around Bath was also beautiful, and very visible from the town.  I had been there once before, in 2004, but on that trip for some stupid reason we did not actually see the Roman baths.

Another wonderful date I went on involved a trip on the funicular in Bergen, Norway, with lunch at the summit.  It’s that sort of thing I enjoy, since I default to a sedentary, intellectual mode, so when I’m on a date, or even spending time with a friend on a completely non-romantic basis, I enjoy taking that time to get some fresh air and go about.

I find I don’t like movies that much as a form of date, per se, except in an established relationship for purposes of a mutual desire to see the film with my girlfriend.

Two things I take great pains to avoid, given my preferences for dates, are doing anything too exhausting (my closest romantic relationship has been with a lady with hyperthyroidism who has tended to get exhausted easily), or getting into any kind of debate with my date; once, I had a girlfriend who was misinformed about something, and with some intellectual force I provided her with accurate information, but then felt like a jerk.  It wasn’t a debate per se, and it luckily did not harm our relationship, but I felt ashamed about it the second I convinced my date of the facts.  So I avoid any debate.  I also prefer to avoid any kind of competitive sporting, because either I would lose, or if its a rare sport like basketball where I actually have some ability, I would feel compelled to lose anyway, but this would also be distracting, and there are more enjoyable activities.   In any case, doing a comparative study of the HTM vs, the St. John of Kronstadt Press version of the Pentecostarion is the last thing I’d want to do on a date.

"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #637 on: June 17, 2018, 01:45:18 AM »
In any case, doing a comparative study of the HTM vs, the St. John of Kronstadt Press version of the Pentecostarion is the last thing I’d want to do on a date.
You just turned me off.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #638 on: June 17, 2018, 01:57:18 AM »
This conversation is making me uncomfortable.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #639 on: June 17, 2018, 02:26:20 AM »
Maybe we could ignore it together...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #640 on: June 17, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »
Maybe we could ignore it together...

You don't get it? Listening (better: singing!) together to "Rejoice o Isaiah" or psalm 127 is something very romantic and you can discuss tones of chanting them.

BTW, in the society of Orthodox students in Warsaw there were two brothers, who were organins parties from time to time. Actually eveyr party was ending up with chanting of soem of the guests with them Cherubic Hymn e.g in Georgian chant  :o Even churchy people said that's "something wrong there" (well, I'd understand it during lent: let's meet together and pray together, but they were regular parties with wine, guitars etc.). One of them (more sociable and with sense of humour) is married for almost 4 years another one (more calm - when his brother got married and moved to Germany, the parties ceased to exit at their flat) still not. Moreover, another (male) friend says that this second brother would be a pefcet candidate for my husband.
Another BTW, the deacon still hasn't found any partner for me for the wedding.
Indeed, it seeems I have to lookf for somebody abroad ;)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #641 on: June 18, 2018, 12:53:11 AM »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #642 on: June 18, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »
Just for old time's sake:

Indeed.  Just so we’re clear I don’t normally make a point of talkimg about liturgics while on a date; I don’t regard my Horologion or my other liturgical books as essential accessories for a date.

That being said, I do frequently have a small Orthodox prayer book on my person or a prayer rope, but I am sure that applies to many of us.  I also have much of my liturgical library theoretically available on my iPhone, so hypothetically if in Lent I was on a date with someone who felt an urgent need to review a diagram of how the Prosphora are to be divided in a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, I have a PDF of Fr. Aidan Keller’s very excellent liturgikon.

But frankly that would not be a good date in my opinion. At present I live in a city with a monorail, not too many of those in the US, but a ride on that coupled with a lovely dinner and a walk through some of the scenic areas, or a trip to a prominent natural wonder, like a forest or mountain, that’s a date.   One of the best dates in my life was when I was 25, in the UK, and I went with my girlfriend on an excursion to the town of Bath, where we toured the ancient Roman baths, which were fascinating and beautiful.   People were allowed to swim in them until a few decades ago; somehow a bacterium got into the waterworks that convey the spring into the pool, and this makes accidentally drinking the water somewhat dangerous, and apparently chlorination would not be feasible due to the antiquity.  However, just the beautiful bath, by itself, this empty reserve of steaming water, surrounded by Roman columns and statues, was a thrilling sight to behold.   

There is a modern health spa with a pool in the town connected to the same spring, but in a biologically secure manner, but this was not of interest to us; we wanted to see an ancient Roman bath, not go for a plunge in a glorified swimming pool.

The English countryside around Bath was also beautiful, and very visible from the town.  I had been there once before, in 2004, but on that trip for some stupid reason we did not actually see the Roman baths.

Another wonderful date I went on involved a trip on the funicular in Bergen, Norway, with lunch at the summit.  It’s that sort of thing I enjoy, since I default to a sedentary, intellectual mode, so when I’m on a date, or even spending time with a friend on a completely non-romantic basis, I enjoy taking that time to get some fresh air and go about.

I find I don’t like movies that much as a form of date, per se, except in an established relationship for purposes of a mutual desire to see the film with my girlfriend.

Two things I take great pains to avoid, given my preferences for dates, are doing anything too exhausting (my closest romantic relationship has been with a lady with hyperthyroidism who has tended to get exhausted easily), or getting into any kind of debate with my date; once, I had a girlfriend who was misinformed about something, and with some intellectual force I provided her with accurate information, but then felt like a jerk.  It wasn’t a debate per se, and it luckily did not harm our relationship, but I felt ashamed about it the second I convinced my date of the facts.  So I avoid any debate.  I also prefer to avoid any kind of competitive sporting, because either I would lose, or if its a rare sport like basketball where I actually have some ability, I would feel compelled to lose anyway, but this would also be distracting, and there are more enjoyable activities.   
In any case, doing a comparative study of the HTM vs, the St. John of Kronstadt Press version of the Pentecostarion is the last thing I’d want to do on a date.

I would much rather have dinner, attend a concert, or do something along the lines of exploration, like go for a trip on a scenic railway.   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:12:46 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #643 on: June 18, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
The solution may be to back away from this board........

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #644 on: June 18, 2018, 10:25:19 PM »
I'll give you two goats for mahr.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #645 on: June 18, 2018, 10:31:16 PM »

wow...only two goats?

(someone in egypt once offered my boyfriend at the time, a solid 14 camels for me)

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #646 on: June 18, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
wow...only two goats?

(someone in egypt once offered my boyfriend at the time, a solid 14 camels for me)
Oh, you like to play it hard!

I add three cows and we have a deal.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
« Reply #647 on: June 19, 2018, 03:26:06 AM »

wow...only two goats?

People still do that? I thought this was some kind of colonial stereotype and that practice would have died out like 200 years ago.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #648 on: June 19, 2018, 06:36:15 AM »
wow...only two goats?

Oh, you like to play it hard!

I add three cows and we have a deal.

And plane ticket to Brasil.

wow...only two goats?

People still do that? I thought this was some kind of colonial stereotype and that practice would have died out like 200 years ago.

They do. One of my professors that's half Polish half Egyptian, told about one of her Egyptian cousins that during negotations with a potential husband was getting regurly from him live chickes, as a part of negotiations. And her cousin is from Cairo (well, the husband-to-be was from countryside).

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #649 on: June 19, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
Dominika you should think about moving to Texas. Lots of Orthodox single guys your age.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #650 on: June 19, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »
Dominika you should think about moving to Texas. Lots of Orthodox single guys your age.

but texas.....

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #651 on: June 19, 2018, 11:11:00 AM »
Yeah, we're talking about a multilingual scholar and you want to pair her with a monosyllabic truck nuts enthusiast?
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #652 on: June 19, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »
Yeah, we're talking about a multilingual scholar and you want to pair her with a monosyllabic truck nuts enthusiast?

Thank you for saying that more rudely than i was trying.....

If she comes to the US, she needs to go to seminary etc.....ie find a scholar or a future priest.....

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • High Elder
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #653 on: June 19, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
I'm not in a relationship and never will because Imma become a monk! :angel: :angel: :angel:

Gospodi pomului!

Kyrie Eleison!

Lord have mercy!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."—Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #654 on: June 19, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »

I think it's still more interesting than a Podlachian peasant  ::) New country, new cows, new milk...

More seriously: thank you for such opinion.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #655 on: June 19, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »

If she comes to the US, she needs to go to seminary etc.....ie find a scholar or a future priest.....

New York it is, then!
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #656 on: June 19, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
Exactly ;D
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #657 on: June 19, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »

but texas.....
Yeah I know...but I dont know why there are so many singles from TX

Maybe I can match her up with a Greek who is a linguist working on his PhD?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:18:29 PM by RobS »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #658 on: June 19, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »
What is interesting to me is how picky male Orthodox converts are in finding a mate. Much more so than women. They are looking to wed a nun, basically.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:26:44 PM by RobS »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #659 on: June 19, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »
There's an altar server I know who is 41-42. He grew up in the same town in New York that I'm from.

I'm 45. I hope I can work up the nerve to talk to him.

Then again, maybe he'll want someone 26. Who knows?  :'(
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #660 on: June 19, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »
There's an altar server I know who is 41-42. He grew up in the same town in New York that I'm from.

Make the first move and talk to him.  :) Maybe he doesn't want a 26 yo...

EDIT: I can tell you I would not be in a relationship if my gf didn't talk to me first
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:39:19 PM by RobS »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #661 on: June 19, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

New York it is, then!

I need to make a longer visit than the 1st time in st. Vladimir's then ;)

What is interesting to me is how picky male Orthodox converts are in finding a mate. Much more so than women. They are looking to wed a nun, basically.
Indeed. And that's the reason that many of them, at least in their first year of being Orthodox, are considering becoming a monk. Or even then, they hesitate.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #662 on: June 19, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
Indeed. And that's the reason that many of them, at least in their first year of being Orthodox, are considering becoming a monk. Or even then, they hesitate.
Yes. I'm not saying its wrong to be choosy, but for a lot of them their expectations on what they look for in a spouse is entirely unrealistic. And they are even more harshly judgemental on a girl's past behavior or whatever. Like sheesh, its already slim pickings in the Orthodox world.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:57:15 PM by RobS »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #663 on: June 19, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
Single guys in Granbury, Texas. . .

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #664 on: June 19, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »
That's true. As for myself, a faithful Orthodox girl who earns my confidence and wants to abstain until marriage would definitely be a great try to me. A non-Orthodox Christian would be okay too, as long as not too affected to her denomination.

Then again, maybe he'll want someone 26. Who knows?
DO IT

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #665 on: June 19, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »
That's true. As for myself, a faithful Orthodox girl who earns my confidence and wants to abstain until marriage would definitely be a great try to me. A non-Orthodox Christian would be okay too, as long as not too affected to her denomination.
I'm sure there are plenty of nominal Catholics in Brazil you could woo? ;)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #666 on: June 19, 2018, 02:03:10 PM »

When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #667 on: June 19, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »
See the issue with men in their 40's is that they are just as socially defective as I already am.....

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #668 on: June 19, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of nominal Catholics in Brazil you could woo? ;)
My idea of a nominal Catholic is someone that goes to church when someone dies, that's not my kind. A faithful Roman Catholic that's not of the extreme Traditionalist kind (I actually stopped trying to get with a girl from the countryside I worked together with as she turned to SSPX) would be the best hit.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #669 on: June 19, 2018, 02:22:30 PM »
Single guys in Granbury, Texas. . .

I love you...in the local area.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #670 on: June 19, 2018, 02:24:53 PM »
Thank you, Rob and Iconodule.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #671 on: June 19, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
I got myself a lapsed Anglican. It worked - tomorrow is our 10th anniversary.

If I found myself single again, I wouldn't even bother dating and such rot. I wouldn't object to signing a domestic partnership with my BFF, so she could be my son's legal guardian if the worst came to pass, but if he were an adult by then, I'd just cash my crazy cat lady cheque.

'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #672 on: June 19, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »

Congrats! :)

If I found myself single again, I wouldn't even bother dating and such rot. I wouldn't object to signing a domestic partnership with my BFF, so she could be my son's legal guardian if the worst came to pass, but if he were an adult by then, I'd just cash my crazy cat lady cheque.
Heh, dating nowadays is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:27:48 PM by RobS »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #673 on: June 19, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »

Many years!
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #674 on: June 19, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »
Enjoy being single! Do whatever you want, no mother-in-laws, no tiring children, nobody telling you what to do and to drink less  8). Sounds very, very promising to me. I feel a call to monastic life now that it is too late  ;)
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus