Author Topic: singles?  (Read 25393 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
Re: singles?
« Reply #270 on: November 12, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »
Hah, I have figured it out. We should attend a Coptic young professionals convention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx__ehWzHoQ

Eight minutes from the documentary "Out of Egypt" by Andrew Ishak. The documentary is about the culture of Coptic Orthodox Christians living in the United States.

See the end of the clip.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:11:59 AM by Anastasia1 »
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #271 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:36 AM »
Eh...I dunno...is finding love and happiness really worth having to go to Davis?  :-\

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #272 on: November 12, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Hah, I have figured it out. We should attend a Coptic young professionals convention.

Needs more trust falls.
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Anastasia1

• OC.net guru
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »

Needs more trust falls.
Huh?
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline Anastasia1

• OC.net guru
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »
Eh...I dunno...is finding love and happiness really worth having to go to Davis?  :-\
Well, I was not entirely serious, but I did read somewhere that sex has more to do with a person's happiness than money, and some people travel to attend the right college.

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
Here we go!!! How many singles have marriage as their new year resolution, raise your hand?

PS I am drinking a cup of tea without raising my hand :P
“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Level 13 Chalcedonian Paladin
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »
Here we go!!! How many singles have marriage as their new year resolution, raise your hand?

*sound of crickets chirping*

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:00:50 PM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

Ἀπ' ὃσα ἒκαμα κι ἀπ’ ὃσα εἶπα
νὰ μὴ ζητήσουνε νὰ βροῦν ποιός ἢμουν
-C.P Cavafy

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
Haha +1, how about dinosaurs roaring?
“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »

PS I am drinking a cup of tea without raising my hand :P

I'm drinkig a Portugal wine without rasing my hand ;p

For sure not this year. Relationship - it would be very nice if I managed (finally!). But marriage definitely not this year. I'm to young, not enough experienced in relationships to create a good marriage.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
It´s good that you atleast have your plans straight :D And that you´re drinking some wine from Portugal!

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
I'm to young, not enough experienced in relationships to create a good marriage.

I tend to think the same but then again I don't think any experience about pre-marital relationship can guarantee a good marriage. Everything's going to fall apart at some point anyway because we're humans. Not that it has to lead to divorce though but you might end up feeling miserable despite having seemingly stable marriage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:06:38 PM by Alpo »
Quote from: Severian
the people on this forum have to stop taking themselves so seriously. None of us are some modern-day Athanasius, we all just have nothing better to do.

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
I'm to young, not enough experienced in relationships to create a good marriage.

I tend to think the same but then again I don't think any experience about pre-marital relationship can guarantee a good marriage. Everything's going to fall apart at some point anyway because we're humans. Not that it has to lead to divorce though but you might end up feeling miserable despite having seemingly stable marriage.

Agree on this point, pre-marital relationships probably help both parts to understand a difficult situation when they occur, but relationships never cure problems from arising in the first case.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »

Agree on this point, pre-marital relationships probably help both parts to understand a difficult situation when they occur, but relationships never cure problems from arising in the first case.

I agree with both of you, however, I think the particular relationship has to last some time to be transformed into a good marriage. That's the first thing. The second one, is just a person haven't had any boyfriend/girlfriend, she/he cannot so rapidly get into marriage, such person has to get know, how to functionate being in a relationship.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »
Hey no love for the arranged marriages that work out til death?

Where's JamesR to tell me about them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:10:53 PM by Shiny »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »
For some reason I miss out on JamesR posts :D

Offline Putnik Namernik

• Elder
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2014, 02:27:02 AM »
I just know that I did not have as much headache when I was single. As for a marriage nope at least for the next couple or so yars...There are few testd that need to be overcome...to see how things work out and how stable the foundatuon is. Without a spiritual foundation, things are more likely to shatter to pieces. I promised myself not to settle for someone who just isn't right just because the right one is not to be seen. I know a romantic...right. As I mentionedin the other topic, there are two girls that stand out among others with whom things are getting qite serious. Shall see how things turn out...

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
I wish and pray for the best of love for you brother :)

Offline Putnik Namernik

• Elder
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
Thanks. I wish you well as well and pray that you find your other half :)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Radical Revolutionary Nutbar
  • Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »
I think it would be nice to find love, but I am a young whipper-snapper that needs to get his own stuff in line before thinking about all that stuff.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Offline john_mo

• High Elder
« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »
Three words: Orthodox youth festivals. 

These are fantastic not just for finding a spouse, but also for meeting other Orthodox friends.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #290 on: April 03, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »

These are fantastic not just for finding a spouse,

Not true in every case. In Poland I feel that I know almost everybody (and for some reasons, I'm also known to quite a lot of Polish Orthodox), and what's more, people a little older than me (even 2 years older - I'll be 23 in October) are married or are in a serious relationship. And I'm rather not interested in men younger than me.

but also for meeting other Orthodox friends.
That's true

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
There are such things as Orthodox youth festivals? Sounds fairly scary. A festival full of Hyperdox Hermans.
Quote from: Severian
the people on this forum have to stop taking themselves so seriously. None of us are some modern-day Athanasius, we all just have nothing better to do.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #292 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
There are such things as Orthodox youth festivals?

You can put into this "box" various meetings and events organised specially for Orthodox youth.
Sounds fairly scary. A festival full of Hyperdox Hermans.

Not really. Hyperdox Hermans do not attend such things, for them they could be too "outrageous". They prefer strict pilgrimages to some monasteries, especially to Athos (for men, to not be tempted)

Offline john_mo

• High Elder
« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »

These are fantastic not just for finding a spouse,

Not true in every case. In Poland I feel that I know almost everybody (and for some reasons, I'm also known to quite a lot of Polish Orthodox), and what's more, people a little older than me (even 2 years older - I'll be 23 in October) are married or are in a serious relationship. And I'm rather not interested in men younger than me.

Interesting how the demographics are different in other countries.  From my experience with the OYF (in UK), their are many men and women around 30.  They even changed recommended age limit to 35, which of course isn't really "youth" anymore. 

I have found that even if people don't meet someone at these festivals, they at least get a group of friends who might be able to help them meet someone later.  Many people court each other over a period of years.

There are such things as Orthodox youth festivals?

You can put into this "box" various meetings and events organised specially for Orthodox youth.
Sounds fairly scary. A festival full of Hyperdox Hermans.

Not really. Hyperdox Hermans do not attend such things, for them they could be too "outrageous". They prefer strict pilgrimages to some monasteries, especially to Athos (for men, to not be tempted)

I have seen some Hyperdox Hermans there, but they are indeed rare.  In fact, I had some Hyperdox tendencies when I went to my first festival, and the experience really helped me get out of it.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton

Offline charbelkaleab

• Most High Imperial Prince
  • Elder
  • St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
Single...................................................because I'm in only 14 ;D ;D

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
Single so hard. But hey, there are children in Africa starving. So don't feel bad. lol
You pushed away the severe storm!
You made us believe comrade Kim Jong Il!
We are unable to live without you
Our country is unable to survive without you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yne-IsHzne4

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • Archon
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: My spleen is on lease to Sinai.
« Reply #296 on: February 20, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
So here's my story.  I became engaged to a beautiful German girl who had a 5 year old autistic boy by a previous marriage.  We loved each other.  We never fornicateed her.  I persuaded her to become baptized and she's still a member of the Church, in London.  This is while I lived in the UK.

However, her ex husband was a Muslim.  And when he found out that she had converted to Chrisrianity (she was raised an atheist by her ex communist mother in former East Germany and he had converted her to Islam before divorcing her so he could move on to another sex partner), he was enraged at her apostasy and resolved to stop our marriage.  Which he did by threatening to take full custody of the autistic boy, because a younger brother of my fiancée accidentally burned him while they were on holiday in Germany, and the boy could be induced to repeat whatever you wanted to; his mental state was kind of like a parrot much of the time.  And he hit the boy himself, causing bruises, but had the boy saying ambiguous statements that would suggest my fiancée did it.  He demanded we break up or he'd get exclusive custody.  Meanwhile I had to travel back to the U.S. to take care of my ailing parents.  We fought him in court but I ran out of money and my British lawyer screwed me $10,000 later.  So maybe we'll get married when the boy is grown up, but for now I'm stuck in the US and she's stuck in Britain, as she's in medical school and medical students in the UK can't transfer to an American university without starting over.   But we did have some good times.  Dinner at the Savoy Hotel, her eyes sparkling blue, swimming, exploring the Roman Baths in Barh, which was fascinating.  Oh how I love her.

But I have three options:  wait about ten years by which time she'll be a doctor, and if she hasn't found someone else and I haven't found someone else, we tie the knot.  But we have to move on to some extent.

Option two: become a monk.  This is appealing to me.

Option three: I am horrified by the crucifixion of Syriac children and other atrocities against Christians in Syria.  And I find West Syriac girls extremely attractive.  Also Copric and Antiochian girls.  If I could marry one in a manner arranged by the church in such a way as to get visas for as many family members as possible, in particular, in such a way as to facilitate the evacuation of young children from Syria or Iraq, I would love to do this.  Even if the girl isn't attreactive, I would do it out of love and to prevent harm.  And my German fiancée wasn't my "type"; she became beautiful to me after I fell in love with her but initially at first glance I thought she was kind of frumpy looking.  So beauty is determined by love. If you truly love someone, they'll look more attractive than any Victoria's Secret model, regardless of their age or weight.

But if I pursue this course, I need to explain my willingness to offer myself as a sacrifice to rescue refugees or people from Syria to the church without sounding like I'm looking for apsome kind of ecclesiastical "Russian Bride" kind of deal.  Which I'm not.  I rather am willing to use my unmarried status and forego the pleasures of monastic life, which is my preferred option otherwise, to evacuate someone from the danger zone and as much of their family as can be brought along given US immigration rules, which I understand can include several members.

However in an ideal world, my beloved fiancée and I would be married.  But I don't want her to suffer loneliness for ten years or so on my account.

I am also open to marrying any good Orthodox girl.  I have been too busy with my parents to do the dating scene though, although I think some girls in my parish are open to the idea.  But my parents take priority.

But I'd particularly like to use my unmarried virginal state to rescue some people from Syria, Iraq or Egypt, or even the conflict areas in the Eastern Ukraine and Russia, if that situation deteriorates (I am passionately neutral on that war; I wish it would just go away), or any other Christians in danger of persecution, if the Church could arrange it. 

So that's the sad state of my love life.  I was personally a victim of Islamic persecution against Christians, as was my beloved fiancée.  But she's still a Christian!  Her wicked ex husband may have succeeded in delaying or preventing our marriage to punish her for apostasy, but he can't make her go back to Islam.  And that I got her to be baptized makes me happier than if Id married her, for at least we have a shot at seeing each other in Heaven, not in a sexual way of course, but as brothers and sisters United in Christ Jesus.
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline Porter ODoran

• "Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #297 on: February 20, 2015, 10:31:08 PM »
Thank you for confiding your story and thoughts. Lord, have mercy on your servant WGW.
One hides amid pornography, angry music, television that shows the worst of mankind, misanthropic politics, an internet populace led by all the passions: and then one asks, "Where is God?"

This member is no longer active.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2015, 10:43:26 PM »
So she is still in custody of her son? Her ex-husband was only threatening to take custody if you two married? I suppose I'm curious what was being contested in court unless he was already contesting custody of the child. Sorry if I appear to be nitpicking, I'm just curious about legal details.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #299 on: February 21, 2015, 01:07:16 AM »
An insightful commentary on religion and life...
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
The original bleeding heart ♫
That is what thou art ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #300 on: February 21, 2015, 01:27:57 AM »
Lord, have mercy on wgw!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:38:40 AM by IXOYE »

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2015, 01:38:00 AM »
This thread reminds me of an older one with some good advice:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25732.msg405369.html#msg405369

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2015, 05:22:05 AM »
She and her ex have joint commentary but her ex is well connected and due to the boy being accidentally burned and having a developmental disability, he has all the leverage he needs to maintain the status quo.  So,that's ,y story of being personally persecuted by a Muslim.

What do you think of my idea of marrying someone whose family in Syria or Egypt or Iraq or elsewhere in the danger zone is endangered, so they could all emigrate to the U.S. for the duration of the conflict?  Should I talk to my priest and some priests from the sister jurisdictions about it?  I don't want to sound pervy at all, my first choice would be to wait for my fiancée, perhaps spending the intermediate period as a novice in a monastery and making formal vows if she marries someone.  But I've come across reports that the evil Islamic state is now burning Christian and Yazidi children alive in cages and crucifying them, and selling them into slavery.  And I can't even bear the thought of that.

Some of you know doubt know of my strong feeling of affection and grief for child martyrs like the Holy Innocents, Ss. Agnes, Abanoub, Mina, Tsarevich Alexei and Grand Duchess Anastasia, to name a few.  And so if in strategically marrying someone, perhaps whose sister was killed and is looking after her children, or who otherwise is so positioned to through my marriage bring a number of refugee children and adults away to the U.S. where they'll be safe from the Islamic State, I want to do it.
Antisemitism, racism and prejudicial nationalism should have no place in Orthodoxy.  For to paraphrase  St. Paul, there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither male nor female, slave or freeman, in the Christian Church.

Offline wgw

• Archon
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2015, 05:26:53 AM »
Thank you all for your love and prayers by the way.  The last few years have been very difficult.  However what has kept me going is the Orthodox Church, which is like an inexhaustible well of wisdom and joy.  Especially my new found love for all things liturgical and comparative liturgics.  I believe the Orthodox have preserved the ancient form of Christian prayer better than anyone else (although the Latin Mass is pretty good too, and I do love Anglican services, in part because of the way Cranmer blended Orthodox aspects like the prayer of the Third Antiphon into Mattins and Evensong).  But Orthodox liturgy when experienced Ina devout parish with a good choir and a devout priest who keeps his mind on things above during the liturgy, is a bridge unto the highest heavens.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
She and her ex have joint commentary but her ex is well connected and due to the boy being accidentally burned and having a developmental disability, he has all the leverage he needs to maintain the status quo.  So,that's ,y story of being personally persecuted by a Muslim.

What do you think of my idea of marrying someone whose family in Syria or Egypt or Iraq or elsewhere in the danger zone is endangered, so they could all emigrate to the U.S. for the duration of the conflict?  Should I talk to my priest and some priests from the sister jurisdictions about it?  I don't want to sound pervy at all, my first choice would be to wait for my fiancée, perhaps spending the intermediate period as a novice in a monastery and making formal vows if she marries someone.  But I've come across reports that the evil Islamic state is now burning Christian and Yazidi children alive in cages and crucifying them, and selling them into slavery.  And I can't even bear the thought of that.

Some of you know doubt know of my strong feeling of affection and grief for child martyrs like the Holy Innocents, Ss. Agnes, Abanoub, Mina, Tsarevich Alexei and Grand Duchess Anastasia, to name a few.  And so if in strategically marrying someone, perhaps whose sister was killed and is looking after her children, or who otherwise is so positioned to through my marriage bring a number of refugee children and adults away to the U.S. where they'll be safe from the Islamic State, I want to do it.

What do I think? From most of your posts, you likely need to slow down a lot.

Regarding, the monastic marriage thing to save people you think are deserving, it doesn't work that way in the US at least.

You are a US citizen? Consult with an attorney, let her know your designs and they will be able to give you a realistic overview of the success rate of what you are planning.

It sounds like you've been through the ringer and want to go through it again.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »
Well after long nights of contemplating, talks with my therapist, and prayer, I've already decided that I have no intention on ever being married or in a long term relationship. It simply isn't worth it to me, and while society may perceive it as abnormal, I believe that I as James will derive much more joy and fulfillment from life as a single man than a married one. I'm glad to have come to peace with this fact. I doubt I'll ever become a monk though. Monastery life isn't for me, I know that for sure. The thought of being a single priest however is intriguing to me, but I'm not banking on anything yet.
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2015, 08:16:55 AM »
Well after long nights of contemplating, talks with my therapist, and prayer, I've already decided that I have no intention on ever being married or in a long term relationship. It simply isn't worth it to me, and while society may perceive it as abnormal, I believe that I as James will derive much more joy and fulfillment from life as a single man than a married one. I'm glad to have come to peace with this fact. I doubt I'll ever become a monk though. Monastery life isn't for me, I know that for sure. The thought of being a single priest however is intriguing to me, but I'm not banking on anything yet.

Don't become a priest due to intrigue.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2015, 09:33:53 AM »

You're a good man, I wish I had some advice to give. I'll be praying for you.

Offline Porter ODoran

• "Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »

Your therapist works the night shift?
One hides amid pornography, angry music, television that shows the worst of mankind, misanthropic politics, an internet populace led by all the passions: and then one asks, "Where is God?"

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »

Your therapist works the night shift?

comma
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Alxandra

• ☦ ICXCNIKA ☦
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
hmm..forgive me but I feel like this thread needs this quote as well

“How beautiful, then, the marriage of two Christians, two who are one in hope, one in desire, one in the way of life they follow, one in the religion they practice. They are as brother and sister, both servants of the same Master. Nothing divides them, either in flesh or in spirit. They are, in very truth, two in one flesh; and where there is but one flesh there is also but one spirit. They pray together, they worship together, they fast together; instructing one another, encouraging one another, strengthening one another. Side by side they visit God's church and partake of God's Banquet; side by side they face difficulties and persecution, share their consolations. They have no secrets from one another; they never shun each other's company; they never bring sorrow to each other's hearts. Unembarrassed they visit the sick and assist the needy. They give alms without anxiety; they attend the Sacrifice without difficulty; they perform their daily exercises of piety without hindrance. They need not be furtive about making the Sign of the Cross, nor timorous in greeting the brethren, nor silent in asking a blessing of God. Psalms and hymns they sing to one another, striving to see which one of them will chant more beautifully the praises of their Lord. Hearing and seeing this, Christ rejoices. To such as these He gives His peace. Where there [p36] are two together, there also He is present; and where He is, there evil is not.”

and these..

“Perhaps the most distinguished quality in love is sacrifice. This is the big difference between love and lust: love always seek to give and lust always seek to take."

“Do not think that love in order to be genuine has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength is"

:)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:53:36 PM by Alxandra »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Blog http://a-nastacia.tumblr.com/

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »
I doubt I'll ever become a monk though. Monastery life isn't for me, I know that for sure. The thought of being a single priest however is intriguing to me, but I'm not banking on anything yet.

What is it about priesthood that attracts you?  What is it about monasticism that makes you sure it's not for you? 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #312 on: February 21, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
I doubt I'll ever become a monk though. Monastery life isn't for me, I know that for sure. The thought of being a single priest however is intriguing to me, but I'm not banking on anything yet.

What is it about priesthood that attracts you?  What is it about monasticism that makes you sure it's not for you?

Being able to perform services, helping others, and continually learning is what attracts me to priesthood. Having to abandon everything associated with the world, even helping the poor, in order to be a good monk is something that alienates me from that lifestyle. I simply can't detach myself because it makes me feel selfish. And I don't think I can handle sharing a confided area with a bunch of other monks when I like my space and solitude.
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2015, 06:34:51 PM »
"Space" and "solitude" hardly inhere in the priesthood (certainly not in America where the priest seems to have to combine the traditional role with the role of pastor a la Protestantism). In other words, priests are constantly with other people and at other people's beck and call.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
hmm..forgive me but I feel like this thread needs this quote as well

“How beautiful, then, the marriage of two Christians, two who are one in hope, one in desire, one in the way of life they follow, one in the religion they practice. They are as brother and sister, both servants of the same Master. Nothing divides them, either in flesh or in spirit. They are, in very truth, two in one flesh; and where there is but one flesh there is also but one spirit. They pray together, they worship together, they fast together; instructing one another, encouraging one another, strengthening one another. Side by side they visit God's church and partake of God's Banquet; side by side they face difficulties and persecution, share their consolations. They have no secrets from one another; they never shun each other's company; they never bring sorrow to each other's hearts. Unembarrassed they visit the sick and assist the needy. They give alms without anxiety; they attend the Sacrifice without difficulty; they perform their daily exercises of piety without hindrance. They need not be furtive about making the Sign of the Cross, nor timorous in greeting the brethren, nor silent in asking a blessing of God. Psalms and hymns they sing to one another, striving to see which one of them will chant more beautifully the praises of their Lord. Hearing and seeing this, Christ rejoices. To such as these He gives His peace. Where there [p36] are two together, there also He is present; and where He is, there evil is not.”

and these..

“Perhaps the most distinguished quality in love is sacrifice. This is the big difference between love and lust: love always seek to give and lust always seek to take."

“Do not think that love in order to be genuine has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength is"

:)

Thank you for these quotes, Alxandra.