Author Topic: singles?  (Read 111007 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
Re: singles?
« Reply #720 on: June 30, 2018, 02:39:29 AM »
There's a nice girl in college. I've known her for years, but started seeing her with other eyes very recently. :angel: I'll keep trying to notice the body language and maybe ask her out. Let's hope she's that nice.
Has clubbing and dragging them to the cave fallen in disuse?

I don't think that's a prosecutable crime in Brazil.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #721 on: June 30, 2018, 03:02:58 AM »
There's a nice girl in college. I've known her for years, but started seeing her with other eyes very recently. :angel: I'll keep trying to notice the body language and maybe ask her out. Let's hope she's that nice.
Oh, you won't believe what these Communists did to our good old manners...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:03:29 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #722 on: June 30, 2018, 03:06:10 AM »
Oh, you won't believe what these Communists did to our good old manners...

I do, actually.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #723 on: June 30, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
And my deacon friend from another city hasn't found anybody for me to be a partner at the wedding of my friend... :(

When’s the wedding?
28th July. On the one hadn, it's still one month. However, there is a custom to inform the couple one month before, if you come alone or with a partner. It's a small wedding (60 people), so one person makes a difference for them.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #724 on: June 30, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
And my deacon friend from another city hasn't found anybody for me to be a partner at the wedding of my friend... :(
Go anyway and have a good time!
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #725 on: June 30, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »

Yeah, she can just get drunk and make her own good time.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #726 on: June 30, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »

Bitter much?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #727 on: June 30, 2018, 03:35:59 PM »

Bitter much?

Wow, no. I was just telling her to have fun.

Good thing I have you on Ignore, and don't have to read your posts unless I click the little line.

You can just chase yourself.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #728 on: June 30, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »

Bitter much?

Good thing I have you on Ignore, and don't have to read your posts unless I click the little line.

Awesome!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #729 on: July 01, 2018, 02:32:43 AM »
How can people be put on ignore? Just curious, I like reading everyone's stuff here.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #730 on: July 01, 2018, 02:35:17 AM »
An old friend hugged me today and it made me feel kinda strange. She was the only female friend I made on high school (although I had a couple from middle school or outside school) and she really grew cute and seemed way too happy for seeing me. Too bad she's the ex-girlfriend of another buddy, friends ethics first.  :angel:

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #731 on: July 01, 2018, 10:05:19 AM »

Bitter much?

Awesome!
Getting drunk is not a fun (I mean, real getting drunk, not this state of good mood). I've only once got drunk at a wedding, quite interesting, as it was the unique Orthodox wedding I was present; it was the unique wedding at which I was with my best male friend; it was quite near end to the reception (after 3AM, so about 2 hours left), the whole time I'd been controlling myself, but I decided to sit down a bit and talk with some aquitances I hadn't seen a long time, and my best friend knows that I love wine, so he decided to be so helpful and kind, and strated bringing bottles (!) of various types (!) of wine. So, I have no idea how much I drank (my norm at weddings is 2 bottle of wine and 1 shot of vodka), but in the end of the reception I started joyously saying to the parents of the the newlyweds "It's been so great wedding! No fighting, no brawls" I wasn't drunk "enough", so I remember their astonishment. In the morning it turned out that our train tickets (the wedding was in Bielsk Podlaski, but because of some reasons, we had to got tehre via Bialystok from Warsaw by train, and then from Białystok to Bielsk Podlaski by a bus, and the same for the coming back) for Białystok-Warsaw we had left in.. the gift for the newleweds. I was in a disastrous state, every few steps looking for a bin. My friend phoned using my phone to the groom (as you can imagine, he wasn't delighted by this fact), so his father offered to get by car firstly to the newlyweds and then to the bus station to give us the tickets. Meanwhile, a bus came (fortunately, we had some time to get to Białystok to the proper train) and.. the driver came out and said "Hello, miss Dominika? How was the wedding?". My friend was shocked, as it's been the first time in this town. But the driver had been going with the exhibition "Colour of Orthodoxy - Poland" at which I was a translator/interpreter" not long time before the wedding, and when he said during the travell that he is from this town, I told that I would have a wedding of my friends in this town in a short time.
So I said it was nice (trying at the asme tiem to not get to the nearby bin), so he invited us to the bus, but we said that we're waiting for the tickets that we had left in the gift for the newlyweds. His face, hearing this, was, of course, interesting.
Finally we got our tickets back, my friend even managed in Białystok to buy a kebab (and he was after the wedding and a breakfast at the hotel sponsored by the newlyweds!), I was sleeping in the train for 3 hours.
I've skipped some minor stories of this wedding.

Anyway, I prefer not getting drunk at the weddings.

An old friend hugged me today and it made me feel kinda strange. She was the only female friend I made on high school (although I had a couple from middle school or outside school) and she really grew cute and seemed way too happy for seeing me.
Did she attract you in past?

Too bad she's the ex-girlfriend of another buddy, friends ethics first.  :angel:
It's a male thing, I suppose - I've heard about it only from 2 male friends, if I recall correctly. I don't undestand it. Since he's not with her anymore, what's the point?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #732 on: July 01, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »
Did she attract you in past?
Not strongly enough that I'd take some initiative, but yeah, she was always cute.

It's a male thing, I suppose - I've heard about it only from 2 male friends, if I recall correctly. I don't undestand it. Since he's not with her anymore, what's the point?
The friend may feel offended since there are often feelings of begrudgement involving past relationships, and even if there are no feelings of begrudgement, the friend might as well be offended by the fact whoever ended up with his ex didn't consider his feelings.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:30:06 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #733 on: July 01, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #734 on: July 01, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »

That's really not funny.

You realize that boy in the second photo is about ten, and he's supposed to represent men here?

'Cause all the Orthodox unmarried women are crazy, and all the Orthodox unmarried men are little boys.

I wish they still banned people.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #735 on: July 01, 2018, 09:18:44 PM »
This thread has gone way off topic.

It was supposed to be about unmarried people of all ages, but the only people who talk are one woman in her mid-twenties and a bunch of similar men.

There's not going to be any dating or marriages that actually happen from here.

Also, there's a married guy who's here just to snark.

Not very good.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #736 on: July 01, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »
What do you suggest, affirmative action for other age spans? lol, go fly a kite.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #737 on: July 01, 2018, 11:55:48 PM »

You are at liberty to do what you want!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #738 on: July 02, 2018, 12:24:07 AM »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #739 on: July 02, 2018, 12:28:41 AM »

It was supposed to be about unmarried people of all ages, but the only people who talk are one woman in her mid-twenties and a bunch of similar men.

Not very good.

Maybe you’re not the only one using the Ignore function.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #740 on: July 02, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »

But it's the choice of people if they wish post there or not. But, apparently, it seems that these people in their mid-twenties want to write there.

We have one marriage from this oc.net. And that's quite interesting, that despite leaving far from USA (so the country, from which majority of the posters come) thanks to this section I've met two guys that liked me, but one of them could be only a friend from my side (so, he is), another one.. Don't know, quite painful. But, anyway, this section is not so unusufel. Moreover, some people need advie or share their stories or emotions (well, maybe some are ovesharing).

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #741 on: July 02, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »

Not very good.

Alxandra, a lovely girl of Cypriot ethnicity, met her husband on OCNet and they are building a family.  I consider that to be one of the crowning accomplishments of this website (pun intended).

Seriously though, it was a very happy story.   :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:37:58 AM by Alpha60 »
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #742 on: July 02, 2018, 08:51:43 AM »
Enjoy being single! Do whatever you want, no mother-in-laws, no tiring children, nobody telling you what to do and to drink less  8). Sounds very, very promising to me. I feel a call to monastic life now that it is too late  ;)

With the monastic life, you get the Abbot or Hegumen as well as the Novice Master telling you what to do, and even at the Trappist monasteries in Belgium, you are unlikely to get much to drink (some Ive heard brew an “enkel” or single, the weakest form of Belgian beer; in contrast Westvleteran 12, St. Bernardus 12 and Rochefort 10 are “Quadrupels”), for internal consumption, or did in the past (Enkels were also at one time served at lunch in primary and secondary schools).  I have heard that Rochefort 6, which is a “Dubbel” with a lovely, distinctive flavor, unlike Rochefort 8, a boring Trippel (I have no idea why people even buy Rochefort 8), is brewed largely for internal use as well; it has low production numbers although I’ve never had trouble finding it at BevMo.   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:52:01 AM by Alpha60 »
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #743 on: July 02, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
Alxandra, a lovely girl of Cypriot ethnicity, met her husband on OCNet and they are building a family.  I consider that to be one of the crowning accomplishments of this website (pun intended).

I'm still curious how that went long distance. Like how long were they together before tying the knot, etc?

Long distance relationships do move at a much faster pace than local ones
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:18:35 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #744 on: July 02, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »
Next October I'll be patron in a marriage that was formed in an Orthodox Facebook group chat I built up two years ago lol

Offline Brilko

• Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #745 on: July 02, 2018, 05:09:13 PM »
I’m at least 500 years old and not fussed about being single. I am happy to stop in, briefly, to boost the average age.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #746 on: July 02, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »

I'm still curious how that went long distance. Like how long were they together before tying the knot, etc?

Long distance relationships do move at a much faster pace than local ones

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,70446.msg1433166.html#msg1433166

You could PM her or guess a calculation from that thread.

God grant their family many years.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek
« Reply #747 on: July 02, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »
Too bad she's the ex-girlfriend of another buddy, friends ethics first.  :angel:
The point is that half of the other people are women, whereas only a handful of the other half are dear friends.  It's better to pass on a woman than to lose a male friend.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #748 on: July 03, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
The point is that half of the other people are women, whereas only a handful of the other half are dear friends.  It's better to pass on a woman than to lose a male friend.
But...what if they were soul mates???!!!!   :'(  Yet another reason casual dating should be avoided. 
Seriously, if it's going to potentially ruin your bro's chance at lifelong happiness...   :police:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #749 on: July 03, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »
But...what if they were soul mates???!!!!   :'(  Yet another reason casual dating should be avoided. 
Seriously, if it's going to potentially ruin your bro's chance at lifelong happiness...   :police:

A former casual date is probably fine. A former fianceé will probably cause a rift. If you're good enough friends with a person that you're worried about it, you probably have the capacity to make the judgement call.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #750 on: July 03, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »

A former casual date is probably fine. A former fianceé will probably cause a rift. If you're good enough friends with a person that you're worried about it, you probably have the capacity to make the judgement call.
+1

I have a vision. For a long tiime I think that a foot pilgrimage with the boyfriend/fiance should be a good test for potential marriage with him. For a few years I have a dream to attend foot pilgrimage from Sofia to Rylski monastery for the Transfiguration feast in Bulgaria (instead of Grabarka here in Poland) and then move to Romania, visit some monastiers, to finally reach Nicula monastery to addent solemnities of the Dormition feast. My vision is that such 2-weeks foot pilgrimage would be a good test, but also something to strengthen our relations on various levels. Edit: of course the day before the pilgrimage (so the last day before the Dormion fast) would be: eating something from Bulgarian rostilj (meat from grill) and drinking wine and leastning to chalga, while on the Dormition feast eating sarmele, drinking Romanian wine and listening to manele.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:12:47 PM by Dominika »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #751 on: July 03, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »

+1

I have a vision. For a long tiime I think that a foot pilgrimage with the boyfriend/fiance should be a good test for potential marriage with him. For a few years I have a dream to attend foot pilgrimage from Sofia to Rylski monastery for the Transfiguration feast in Bulgaria (instead of Grabarka here in Poland) and then move to Romania, visit some monastiers, to finally reach Nicula monastery to addent solemnities of the Dormition feast. My vision is that such 2-weeks foot pilgrimage would be a good test, but also something to strengthen our relations on various levels. Edit: of course the day before the pilgrimage (so the last day before the Dormion fast) would be: eating something from Bulgarian rostilj (meat from grill) and drinking wine and leastning to chalga, while on the Dormition feast eating sarmele, drinking Romanian wine and listening to manele.

Travel agency and embassy websites are suddenly experiencing an uptick of traffic from this thread.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #752 on: July 03, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
The problem is that, apart from being in an uncomfortable situation with the ex-boyfriend, I would be "the guy who hung out with his friend's ex". Not a good fame.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #753 on: July 03, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »
The problem is that, apart from being in an uncomfortable situation with the ex-boyfriend, I would be "the guy who hung out with his friend's ex". Not a good fame.
I don't see anything bad there.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #754 on: July 03, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »

So for women, all’s fair in love and war, so to speak.  Interesting.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #755 on: July 03, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »

+1

That sounds ... epic.   Literally, it would make a good book, describing the experience after the fact.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #756 on: July 03, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »

It's that way for everyone.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #757 on: July 03, 2018, 06:13:23 PM »

It's that way for everyone.

Evidently not in Brazil, and nothing RaphaCam said seems strange to my American male ears.

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #758 on: July 04, 2018, 12:05:05 AM »
Akin to eating the crumbles off of someone else's table, so to speak.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #759 on: July 04, 2018, 12:32:57 AM »

"But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs. And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.  Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour."

Crumbs is crumbs, but they good.

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #760 on: July 04, 2018, 01:21:49 AM »
Be a man!
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #761 on: July 04, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »
Be a man!

Ich bin ein Mann.
I am a man

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #762 on: July 04, 2018, 01:30:12 AM »
How can people be put on ignore? Just curious, I like reading everyone's stuff here.

Good question.  I've no idea.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #763 on: July 04, 2018, 04:28:43 AM »

Better the crumbs off your friend's table than a stranger's.

Good question.  I've no idea.

Profile > Modify > Buddies/Ignore List
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Sharbel

• OC.net guru
« Reply #764 on: July 04, 2018, 02:38:15 PM »
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:38:51 PM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός