Author Topic: singles?  (Read 78769 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: singles?
« Reply #450 on: August 30, 2016, 06:52:47 AM »
I'm single and don't have kids
Me too, still, unfortunately (at least for the 1st one).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #451 on: August 30, 2016, 08:04:35 AM »
You have kids?  ;)
God bless!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #452 on: August 30, 2016, 09:19:58 AM »
You have kids?  ;)
Ah, no! ;) I used Polish grammar scheme. I should have written just "+1" and it would be correct.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #453 on: August 30, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
I am single too unfortunately, I am not found the proper girl.

Offline RichC

« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2016, 03:50:18 AM »
56 and single and loving it.  Was married for 16 years. Worst mistake of my life.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #455 on: November 05, 2016, 06:38:02 AM »
56 and single and loving it.  Was married for 16 years. Worst mistake of my life.

I salute you, sir!
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #456 on: November 05, 2016, 07:53:18 AM »
I'm looking for a single Orthodox maiden to move with me to the jungle and lead a chaste life with 6-10 children for the glory of True Brazilian Orthodoxy. We can pretend it's the Scetes, Siberia or sth... PM me for details.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:54:15 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #457 on: November 05, 2016, 08:48:16 PM »
I'm looking for a single Orthodox maiden to move with me to the jungle and lead a chaste life with 6-10 children for the glory of True Brazilian Orthodoxy. We can pretend it's the Scetes, Siberia or sth... PM me for details.
;D
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #458 on: November 06, 2016, 01:00:51 AM »

I thought I had a nominee...
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #459 on: November 06, 2016, 03:10:06 AM »
I'm not single but not married either. I guess I'll be restored to my wife in heaven. Marriage was hell but also full of poignancy. I wouldn't do it again but I am glad I risked it.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #460 on: November 06, 2016, 03:12:07 AM »
As for a forum of a members of a religion that supposedly cares much about families this board has a huge representation of men hating their former wives. So much for "protecting natural marriage".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:13:07 AM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #461 on: November 06, 2016, 06:19:05 AM »
As for a forum of a members of a religion that supposedly cares much about families this board has a huge representation of men hating their former wives. So much for "protecting natural marriage".

You should man up and become Orthodox!
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2016, 10:35:10 AM »
I'm not single but not married either. I guess I'll be restored to my wife in heaven. Marriage was hell but also full of poignancy. I wouldn't do it again but I am glad I risked it.

It sounds like I should never get married, like ever :o

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »

Half the responses from you tend to bash that "religion that supposedly cares about families so much" what's up with that?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #464 on: November 06, 2016, 10:40:59 AM »

Who's then to continue the dynasty? It can't be a bastard.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #465 on: November 06, 2016, 10:50:21 AM »

Indeed.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #466 on: November 06, 2016, 11:05:19 AM »

Half the responses from you tend to bash that "religion that supposedly cares about families so much" what's up with that?

Despite what you hear in sermons or books, when you look into what Christ was saying or lives of saints it seems family wasn't that important in early Christianity and other things were considered more important than that. Now it seems it is the main issue.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #467 on: November 06, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »

Despite what you hear in sermons or books, when you look into what Christ was saying or lives of saints it seems family wasn't that important in early Christianity and other things were considered more important than that. Now it seems it is the main issue.

+1

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #468 on: November 06, 2016, 07:51:32 PM »

Despite what you hear in sermons or books, when you look into what Christ was saying or lives of saints it seems family wasn't that important in early Christianity...

Oh?

...and other things were considered more important than that.

Such as?
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #469 on: November 06, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »

Such as?

Celibacy.

Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:05:30 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #470 on: November 06, 2016, 08:26:37 PM »

I love my wife. She's an admirable girl. And it's still very personal -- I dream about her most nights.

It's possible I love her even more than you love trolling Orthodoxy.

The present distress, as St. Paul styled it, is simply inimical to marriage. This is not the fault of individual women and men. Savior, save us -- our children are in danger of growing up in a society where most people cannot even successfully live with themselves.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #471 on: November 06, 2016, 09:49:34 PM »

The Apostle agrees
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #472 on: November 06, 2016, 09:50:16 PM »

If only there was still POTM

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #473 on: November 06, 2016, 11:38:54 PM »
The gospel according to monkabees:

1. Regulating Cartesian theater movies given legitimacy by calling them logismoi
2. Married sex and child discipline
3. Saying the words modernism and secularism
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:40:11 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #474 on: November 07, 2016, 12:54:24 AM »
Two. There were two. Unless most of us are sock puppets, I wouldn't classify that as a huge representation.
God bless!

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #475 on: November 07, 2016, 01:14:44 AM »

Such as?

Jesus.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #476 on: November 07, 2016, 01:41:56 AM »

Such as?

Jesus.

What does it mean for Chistianity to be about Christ? This seems circular or evasive.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #477 on: November 07, 2016, 02:58:52 AM »

Such as?

Jesus.

What does it mean for Chistianity to be about Christ? This seems circular or evasive.

And it seems rather opposed to the Gospel as declared by Paul to think that anything matters except for Christ.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #478 on: November 07, 2016, 11:59:07 AM »

Such as?

Jesus.

are you on drugs?   How is Christianity NOT about Christ.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #479 on: November 07, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »

Such as?

Jesus.

And it seems rather opposed to the Gospel as declared by Paul to think that anything matters except for Christ.

As a tautology on a topic can fairly be mouthed by either side of a debate it does not further the debate but is rhetorical evasion. The question here is, What about children is not about Christ, and how?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #480 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »

Such as?

Jesus.

are you on drugs?   How is Christianity NOT about Christ.....

Thank you for asking. I am on drugs and have a series if MRIs later this week.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #481 on: November 07, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »

If you and your intended are fully aware that marriage is an ascetic community to be built of extremely different souls, in this modern life, and if you are aware that you have been extensively deceived about the nature of love, and if you put your children at the center of the lives of _both_ of you, then you should survive with a steady diet of the Jesus Prayer. But let me add the revelation that, once married, the griefs of singlehood will magically appear not have been bad and instead your own neglect of yourself in singlehood will seem to have been its main evil. By which I mean that in singlehood we, nowadays, thanks to the popular deceit, neglect and abuse ourselves under the justification that a life is not deserving that does not comprise "romance." In other words, we imagine a disability, and by that we ourselves enforce a disability.

Be generous with yourself, treat yourself like family you care for, and above all above all above all give to yourself friends, entrance into other circles and families, and a busy social life.

Edited to add:  not a monklike asceticism -- not asceticism of body -- something quite different.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:56:11 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »

Such as?

Jesus.

As a tautology on a topic can fairly be mouthed by either side of a debate it does not further the debate but is rhetorical evasion. The question here is, What about children is not about Christ, and how?

Mt 10, 34-39
Lk 14, 25-27
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:43:38 PM by mike »

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #483 on: February 16, 2017, 06:00:28 AM »
28, still single. :P

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #484 on: February 16, 2017, 06:20:11 AM »
I could use a girlfriend right now. Hopefully there's a chance this is sorted out soon.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #485 on: February 17, 2017, 06:29:39 AM »
Looking at christianity from outside, it is a religion founded by a single man
apparently not interested in marriage and starting a family. So indeed, emphasizing
the importance of intact families so much does not appear to be what the founder intended,
but a later innovation. Lk 14,26 is the obvious reference.
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline nikolaj

• Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #486 on: February 17, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
apparently not interested in marriage and starting a family. So indeed, emphasizing
the importance of intact families so much does not appear to be what the founder intended,

At that time, the two options were celibate life, or marriage.

What are the options in this day and age????

Hence, the struggle to 'emphasize' the importance of family.

Enough said.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2017, 01:15:23 AM »

At that time, the two options were celibate life, or marriage.

What are the options in this day and age????

Hence, the struggle to 'emphasize' the importance of family.

Enough said.

Given the existence of brothels in the Roman world, I don't think that's entirely true. And Jesus does save a 'woman taken in adultery' from being stoned to death.

Offline nikolaj

• Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2017, 05:40:35 AM »
Is that the whole picture? What was the 'oldest trade'?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:45:45 AM by nikolaj »

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »
Reading papolics brilliant insights usually gives me a hard facepalm.

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »
Reading papolics brilliant insights usually gives me a hard facepalm.
Can't say I like the label "papolic". Please avoid it.
Also, I wrote "looking from the outside". This means I assume an imaginary other person's perspective for the moment which does not necessarily coincide with my own.
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #491 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »

If you and your intended are fully aware that marriage is an ascetic community to be built of extremely different souls, in this modern life, and if you are aware that you have been extensively deceived about the nature of love, and if you put your children at the center of the lives of _both_ of you, then you should survive with a steady diet of the Jesus Prayer. But let me add the revelation that, once married, the griefs of singlehood will magically appear not have been bad and instead your own neglect of yourself in singlehood will seem to have been its main evil. By which I mean that in singlehood we, nowadays, thanks to the popular deceit, neglect and abuse ourselves under the justification that a life is not deserving that does not comprise "romance." In other words, we imagine a disability, and by that we ourselves enforce a disability.

Be generous with yourself, treat yourself like family you care for, and above all above all above all give to yourself friends, entrance into other circles and families, and a busy social life.

Edited to add:  not a monklike asceticism -- not asceticism of body -- something quite different.
Well, if you put it that way...I got kicked out of mine due to attempting to lord it over everyone, but am still expected to supply for the financial needs of the novices of said ascetic community :(  :P
Of course RC theology (especially that new Theology of the Body stuff) doesn't really explain marriage in those terms, but it would have been helpful to know that the "head" doesn't get to "rule" the rest of the family. At least I can honestly say that if I were still married I would not have been chrismated Orthodox.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.