OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:13:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: singles?  (Read 15603 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #270 on: November 12, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »

Hah, I have figured it out. We should attend a Coptic young professionals convention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx__ehWzHoQ

Eight minutes from the documentary "Out of Egypt" by Andrew Ishak. The documentary is about the culture of Coptic Orthodox Christians living in the United States.

See the end of the clip.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:11:59 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #271 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:36 AM »

Eh...I dunno...is finding love and happiness really worth having to go to Davis?  Undecided

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #272 on: November 12, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »

Hah, I have figured it out. We should attend a Coptic young professionals convention.

Needs more trust falls.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »

Needs more trust falls.
Huh?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

Eh...I dunno...is finding love and happiness really worth having to go to Davis?  Undecided
Well, I was not entirely serious, but I did read somewhere that sex has more to do with a person's happiness than money, and some people travel to attend the right college.

Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »

Here we go!!! How many singles have marriage as their new year resolution, raise your hand?

PS I am drinking a cup of tea without raising my hand Tongue

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »

Here we go!!! How many singles have marriage as their new year resolution, raise your hand?

*sound of crickets chirping*

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:00:50 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »

Haha +1, how about dinosaurs roaring?

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »

PS I am drinking a cup of tea without raising my hand Tongue

I'm drinkig a Portugal wine without rasing my hand ;p

For sure not this year. Relationship - it would be very nice if I managed (finally!). But marriage definitely not this year. I'm to young, not enough experienced in relationships to create a good marriage.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »

It´s good that you atleast have your plans straight Cheesy And that you´re drinking some wine from Portugal!

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »

I'm to young, not enough experienced in relationships to create a good marriage.

I tend to think the same but then again I don't think any experience about pre-marital relationship can guarantee a good marriage. Everything's going to fall apart at some point anyway because we're humans. Not that it has to lead to divorce though but you might end up feeling miserable despite having seemingly stable marriage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:06:38 PM by Alpo » Logged

Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »

I'm to young, not enough experienced in relationships to create a good marriage.

I tend to think the same but then again I don't think any experience about pre-marital relationship can guarantee a good marriage. Everything's going to fall apart at some point anyway because we're humans. Not that it has to lead to divorce though but you might end up feeling miserable despite having seemingly stable marriage.

Agree on this point, pre-marital relationships probably help both parts to understand a difficult situation when they occur, but relationships never cure problems from arising in the first case.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »

Agree on this point, pre-marital relationships probably help both parts to understand a difficult situation when they occur, but relationships never cure problems from arising in the first case.

I agree with both of you, however, I think the particular relationship has to last some time to be transformed into a good marriage. That's the first thing. The second one, is just a person haven't had any boyfriend/girlfriend, she/he cannot so rapidly get into marriage, such person has to get know, how to functionate being in a relationship.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »

Hey no love for the arranged marriages that work out til death?

Where's JamesR to tell me about them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:10:53 PM by Shiny » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »

For some reason I miss out on JamesR posts Cheesy

Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2014, 02:27:02 AM »

I just know that I did not have as much headache when I was single. As for a marriage nope at least for the next couple or so yars...There are few testd that need to be overcome...to see how things work out and how stable the foundatuon is. Without a spiritual foundation, things are more likely to shatter to pieces. I promised myself not to settle for someone who just isn't right just because the right one is not to be seen. I know a romantic...right. As I mentionedin the other topic, there are two girls that stand out among others with whom things are getting qite serious. Shall see how things turn out...
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »

I wish and pray for the best of love for you brother Smiley

Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »

Thanks. I wish you well as well and pray that you find your other half Smiley
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »

I think it would be nice to find love, but I am a young whipper-snapper that needs to get his own stuff in line before thinking about all that stuff.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »

Three words: Orthodox youth festivals. 

These are fantastic not just for finding a spouse, but also for meeting other Orthodox friends.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #290 on: April 03, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »

These are fantastic not just for finding a spouse,

Not true in every case. In Poland I feel that I know almost everybody (and for some reasons, I'm also known to quite a lot of Polish Orthodox), and what's more, people a little older than me (even 2 years older - I'll be 23 in October) are married or are in a serious relationship. And I'm rather not interested in men younger than me.

but also for meeting other Orthodox friends.
That's true

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »

There are such things as Orthodox youth festivals? Sounds fairly scary. A festival full of Hyperdox Hermans.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #292 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »

There are such things as Orthodox youth festivals?

You can put into this "box" various meetings and events organised specially for Orthodox youth.
Sounds fairly scary. A festival full of Hyperdox Hermans.

Not really. Hyperdox Hermans do not attend such things, for them they could be too "outrageous". They prefer strict pilgrimages to some monasteries, especially to Athos (for men, to not be tempted)

john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »

These are fantastic not just for finding a spouse,

Not true in every case. In Poland I feel that I know almost everybody (and for some reasons, I'm also known to quite a lot of Polish Orthodox), and what's more, people a little older than me (even 2 years older - I'll be 23 in October) are married or are in a serious relationship. And I'm rather not interested in men younger than me.

Interesting how the demographics are different in other countries.  From my experience with the OYF (in UK), their are many men and women around 30.  They even changed recommended age limit to 35, which of course isn't really "youth" anymore. 

I have found that even if people don't meet someone at these festivals, they at least get a group of friends who might be able to help them meet someone later.  Many people court each other over a period of years.

There are such things as Orthodox youth festivals?

You can put into this "box" various meetings and events organised specially for Orthodox youth.
Sounds fairly scary. A festival full of Hyperdox Hermans.

Not really. Hyperdox Hermans do not attend such things, for them they could be too "outrageous". They prefer strict pilgrimages to some monasteries, especially to Athos (for men, to not be tempted)

I have seen some Hyperdox Hermans there, but they are indeed rare.  In fact, I had some Hyperdox tendencies when I went to my first festival, and the experience really helped me get out of it.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
charbelkaleab
Most High Imperial Prince
Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian

St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!

« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »

Single...................................................because I'm in only 14 Grin Grin

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: