Author Topic: About finding a wife  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Pravoslavac

• Elder
Re: About finding a wife
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »
I guess not. Well i tried, i cant say on my Judgment Day i didn't try.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:04:16 PM by Pravoslavac »
At the end, all come to the Mother Church.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2015, 05:31:59 PM »

Yeah, that's what you're going to get quizzed on. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2015, 06:11:30 PM »

Yeah, that's what you're going to get quizzed on.
:laugh:
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Alxandra

• Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
I hope Alxandra has a God-bearing geronda to read exorcism prayers for her.

Why?  :)
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »
Mystical fantasy wife? ...

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2015, 01:21:19 AM »
I personally have come to the conclusion that my life would be better off being single. As nice as the whole Love thing of having someone to grow old with and wrap my arms around in bed at night when I cry sounds nice during bouts of depression, I know in my heart of hearts that it's not worth it for me, that deep down I would be happier staying alone. Because with that Love also comes the total monogamy, the children with the dirty diapers, crying, and sleepless nights.

So you are choosing celibacy because you oppose monogamy?

Sometimes you two are pure magic.

I would like to develop a sitcom around you both.

*why was autocorrect insisting that magic be capitalized?
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44:34 AM »
I hope Alxandra has a God-bearing geronda to read exorcism prayers for her.

Why?  :)

As the sacred equivalent to a restraining order.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline NCNewbie

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 06:07:30 AM »
"No one pays attention to the gardener, until something goes missing.  Even Mary Magdalene thought Christ was Jesús, the thieving Mexican gardener. John 20:15."

Made coffee come out of my nose when I first read it, and again today when I re-read.

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy Loves Company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2015, 06:08:38 AM »
I personally have come to the conclusion that my life would be better off being single. As nice as the whole Love thing of having someone to grow old with and wrap my arms around in bed at night when I cry sounds nice during bouts of depression, I know in my heart of hearts that it's not worth it for me, that deep down I would be happier staying alone. Because with that Love also comes the total monogamy, the children with the dirty diapers, crying, and sleepless nights.

So you are choosing celibacy because you oppose monogamy?

Sometimes you two are pure magic.

I would like to develop a sitcom around you both.

*why was autocorrect insisting that magic be capitalized?

Bill Gates is secretly a neopagan?
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy Loves Company
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2015, 06:18:48 AM »
I tried internets dating for a few months. Nothing came of it, but then again I'm probably too hard on myself to compose an attractive profile.

I doubt girls will give me the time of day anyhow until I finish losing this weight.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2015, 11:35:46 AM »
I tried internets dating for a few months. Nothing came of it, but then again I'm probably too hard on myself to compose an attractive profile.

I doubt girls will give me the time of day anyhow until I finish losing this weight.

It is a numbers game.  Send ten messages, get one response.  Get ten responses, get one date.  Get ten dates, you should be set.

Also, never lower your standards, just inflate the hell out of your ratings.

My ratings are straight up Enron.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:36:27 AM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy Loves Company
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »

It is a numbers game.  Send ten messages, get one response.  Get ten responses, get one date.  Get ten dates, you should be set.

No, I think your ratings are EC for Early Childhood

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »

No, I think your ratings are EC for Early Childhood

That is illegal in most countries.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
...and like the common turd, this thread has gone down the toilet.   ;)

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »
I value my autonomy and freedom. I like knowing I can wake up at 6:00AM one day and at 4PM on another day with no commitments apart from work and/or college. I like that I don't always have to be looking out for someone such as a wife or children. I like that I can read the Bible at my own time, attend Church whenever I want, and eat lobster for breakfast and waffles for dinner if I wish. I like that I'm not tied down to the misery and stress that married people are cursed with.

Quite so. There's nothing romantic about marriage. Tedious business, all of it. If ever I do get married I'll be sure to forget the fact.

Oh, and of course:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:38:05 PM by Cyrillic »
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me"
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
  • За Россию без Путина. For Russia without Putin.
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »
Many couples dream of having a "Christian marriage", or even already have it, and they make the moral of the Church the basis of the conjungal life, but all too often they forget the most basic of the commandments: to forgive.

To forgive everything. To forgive always. To forgive again and again and again. To forgive with all the heart and to redouble the love to the one asking forgiveness, giving consolotion and new hope. To forgive with humility, without putting you above the other, without humilliating someone who's already humilliated. To forgive with joy, knowing that you are not giving anything, but receiving.

If you do not forgive the one you love, how would you forgive anyone else, for goodness sake? And if you do not practice forgiveness, how do you expect to be forgiven some day?

I have been married for 33 years and I can assure you: forgiveness works. There is no "relationship problem", as difficult as it is, that can resist forgiveness. And one day when sexual interest weakens, what comes in its place is of such an immensilly unspeakable sweetness, that it is a foretaste of paradise.
Olavo de Carvalho
There is no such a thing as holly bullies.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »

Sigh. Remember when people used to like each other? At least a little? That was kinda good.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

--

If you wish to contact me, please use the information in my profile.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox-ethnically delicious
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in AmericaOutsideAmerica
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
Many couples dream of having a "Christian marriage", or even already have it, and they make the moral of the Church the basis of the conjungal life, but all too often they forget the most basic of the commandments: to forgive.

To forgive everything. To forgive always. To forgive again and again and again. To forgive with all the heart and to redouble the love to the one asking forgiveness, giving consolotion and new hope. To forgive with humility, without putting you above the other, without humilliating someone who's already humilliated. To forgive with joy, knowing that you are not giving anything, but receiving.

If you do not forgive the one you love, how would you forgive anyone else, for goodness sake? And if you do not practice forgiveness, how do you expect to be forgiven some day?

I have been married for 33 years and I can assure you: forgiveness works. There is no "relationship problem", as difficult as it is, that can resist forgiveness. And one day when sexual interest weakens, what comes in its place is of such an immensilly unspeakable sweetness, that it is a foretaste of paradise.
Olavo de Carvalho

True.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2015, 11:35:12 PM »

Sigh. Remember when people used to like each other? At least a little? That was kinda good.

I had to google a kissing emoticon as I do not feel the new forum one adequately addresses my needs.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox-ethnically delicious
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in AmericaOutsideAmerica
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2015, 01:38:41 AM »

I had to google a kissing emoticon as I do not feel the new forum one adequately addresses my needs.

Too bad you have to look for kisses elsewhere.

:-*
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »
Things created by desire ... don't exist.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »

Too bad you have to look for kisses elsewhere.

:-*
I always accept kisses from you, hecma. Even generic forum emoticon kisses.

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian Catechumen
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »

Olavo de Carvalho

True.

I have been married for 41 years, many of them very hard, and we almost didn't make it several times. But I have found the above to be true.
Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »
Yep. Me too.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy Loves Company
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »
I personally have come to the conclusion that my life would be better off being single. As nice as the whole Love thing of having someone to grow old with and wrap my arms around in bed at night when I cry sounds nice during bouts of depression, I know in my heart of hearts that it's not worth it for me, that deep down I would be happier staying alone. Because with that Love also comes the total monogamy, the children with the dirty diapers, crying, and sleepless nights. Basically being an oldest sibling all over again, except this time with my own children. And never having a spare moment of time.

I'm actually the opposite, I think. The more I'm on my own, the more I screw myself up.

I think you're overestimating the necessary hecticness of married life, too. I doubt you'd find a woman who doesn't want some alone time for herself once in a while. And the kids start to grow-up and have more autonomy of their own, as YiM points out.

Either way, I wish you the best.