Author Topic: be fruitful  (Read 161 times)

Offline Branthony

be fruitful
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
How far do you think the "be fruitful" command goes for those of us who are married and can have children? I know that those of us who are married ave can have children should have children. Honestly I think that if you can have children but won't then you shouldn't be married. However is there a number on your fruitfulness? I mean if you stop having children after 2 or 3 (or 1 if you are so incline) but can have more are you then in disobedience of the command?
Forgive me if I misspell something, I am dyslexic and it greatly effects my spelling.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
Re: be fruitful
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »
I prefer the naming the beasts command, in my partial heart.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:36:18 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Branthony

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »
I prefer the naming the beasts command, in my partial heart.

So you don't think that married people have a duty to be fruitful? There are many reasons for marriage and children is one of the reasons. It isn't the only but it is one, if you aren't a monk and you have the ability to have children, the church says you need to have children.
Forgive me if I misspell something, I am dyslexic and it greatly effects my spelling.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
So you don't think that married people have a duty to be fruitful?
I dunno. I just prefer the name the beasts command.

What do the Gospels say?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:29:55 AM by NicholasMyra »
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
if you aren't a monk and you have the ability to have children, the church says you need to have children.
I think that's Roman pop stoicism, not the Church. Either that, or St. Paul has some 'splaining to do.

Now, the Church would say, I think, that if you're married you shouldn't refuse to adopt, foster or have children because you want to live it up your whole life (children who would be taught, of course, that their worst foreign enemy ought to be loved like their dearest kin, and that Christ's work ought to be preferred above all fleshly ties). But if you are doing divine work on behalf of all, then spiritual children are begotten in Christ, are they not?

/Guru
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:46:43 AM by NicholasMyra »

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Orthodoxy doesn't teach the "cultural/dominion mandate". That's more of a Calvinist/Reconstructionist thing. Many of the church fathers seemed to think that the "be fruitful" command had already been fulfilled in the past.

Remember, Calvinists believe in Adam as "federal head" of humanity, thus, every command given to Adam and Eve is binding on all humans (and conversely, we are all personally guilty of Adam's sin). Orthodox don't believe this.
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.