Author Topic: Moving to Ohio  (Read 428 times)

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Moving to Ohio
« on: April 26, 2015, 06:35:44 PM »
As many know we are moving to the Toledo (Perrysburg) area in June. We have been attending an OCA church in Pittsburgh since before we converted and would love to find a good church home there as well.  I know the OCA church would be the most familiar but it seems at first glance the Greek Orthodox church in Toledo has a lot more families.  Does anybody have any experience with the churches in that area?  We are not Greek or Slovak in heritage so would like a church where we won't be treated like we have no business being there.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
  • Faith: Catholic in communion w/ EP
  • Jurisdiction: Syosset (Fourth Rome)
Re: Moving to Ohio
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »
I'm not in that area of Ohio, but I am in Ohio! Early welcome to the state. :)
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline Jakoblaj

• Jurisdiction: GOArch
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »
I also can't help with the churches in that area, but from this Ohioan I bid you a warm early welcome! 

Offline William T

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 12:27:22 AM »
I'm from Toledo.  My family goes  to both St. George  and St. Elias Antiochian Churches.  It's predominantly  a Syrian / Lebanese  Church, but most of the service is in English (minus the chanting).  If I remember correctly the Greek Church has a lot of English too - but I only attended liturgy there for weddings and stuff like that, so I can't voucher for that. 

I'm not too sure of any Eastern Europe Churches, I think there is a Bulgarian  one around there , but my guess is their services  are more in the "Byzantine" style, so if that isn't your thing I think you'll have to make a 45 min. drive to Ann Arbor or Detroit.  I think those are where the closest  Russian  / Romanian  churches are.  I have the reverse problem, I miss the Antiochian services and have to attend OCA services.  Toledo is a big Greek / Syrian / Lebanese  center (and has some of the best food in the country  for those cusines), I had no experience  with Russian Orthodoxy until I moved to Chicago 4 years ago.  The services are beautiful, but I still miss the services I grew up with.

St. George is the bigger (and prettier) of the two Antiochian Churches   (it's the cathedral  for the dioceses  of the Midwest).  I think the Greek Church  (Holy Trinity  Cathedral) is bigger than St. George, but I can't say for sure.  Holy Trinity does have the best festival in Toledo though (it happens around mid September), unfortunately  they don't sell ouzo at the festival  anymore.

Hopefully  that helps.  If you have any questions  let me know.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:32:02 AM by William T »
"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Ovid, Metamorphosis Book I

Offline William T

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:36:44 AM »

I'm from Toledo.  My family goes  to both St. George  and St. Elias Antiochian Churches.  It's predominantly  a Syrian / Lebanese  Church, but most of the service is in English (minus the chanting).  If I remember correctly the Greek Church has a lot of English too - but I only attended liturgy there for weddings and stuff like that, so I can't voucher for that. 

I'm not too sure of any Eastern Europe Churches, I think there is a Bulgarian  one around there , but my guess is their services  are more in the "Byzantine" style, so if that isn't your thing I think you'll have to make a 45 min. drive to Ann Arbor or Detroit.  I think those are where the closest  Russian  / Romanian  churches are.  I have the reverse problem, I miss the Antiochian services and have to attend OCA services.  Toledo is a big Greek / Syrian / Lebanese  center (and has some of the best food in the country  for those cusines), I had no experience  with Russian Orthodoxy until I moved to Chicago 4 years ago.  The services are beautiful, but I still miss the services I grew up with.

St. George is the bigger (and prettier) of the two Antiochian Churches   (it's the cathedral  for the dioceses  of the Midwest).  I think the Greek Church  (Holy Trinity  Cathedral) is bigger than St. George, but I can't say for sure.  Holy Trinity does have the best festival in Toledo though (it happens around mid September), unfortunately  they don't sell ouzo at the festival  anymore.  As far as people at St George   (or St Elias) are concerned, most don't care what nationality you are, it's mostly  2nd generation Syrians  by now anyway.  We have had Russians, Ethiopians, etc belong to the parish.  It would be more difficult  to be a U of M fan than a Russian  or whatever  you are.

Hopefully  that helps.  If you have any questions  let me know.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:44:50 AM by William T »
"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Offline Avdima

• Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 12:36:55 AM »
I'm So sorry to hear that you will living in Ohio soon, but at least Michigan is close by so you can escape purgatory any time you want. ;D

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 12:49:14 AM »
I recommend making the drive to Dayton and attending St Paul's OCA.
As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

Offline William T

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 01:00:44 AM »

I've been to the Greek Church there a few times, it was nice.  But Dayton is a good hour and a half drive from Toledo...assuming I-75 is playing nice on your drive there.

Also, if Ohio is Purgatory :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

Just saying.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »

Someone's a suck-up!
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 01:07:20 AM »

Someone's a suck-up!
I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 01:16:09 AM »

Someone's a suck-up!
I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Proverbs 3.1.

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 01:43:55 AM »
I'm So sorry to hear that you will living in Ohio soon, but at least Michigan is close by so you can escape purgatory any time you want. ;D
If Toledo is purgatory, then what is Detroit?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:44:14 AM by rakovsky »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:25 AM »

I've been to the Greek Church there a few times, it was nice.  But Dayton is a good hour and a half drive from Toledo...assuming I-75 is playing nice on your drive there.

Also, if Ohio is Purgatory :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

Just saying.

Beat me to it.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
Toledo is a fine little city. I am biased because i have spent a lot of time there and Findlay (1 hr south on I-75).  I have visited St. George cathedral there several times.  The services are English but much of the chanting at Orthros is in Arabic (it is pretty good, nonetheless).
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 11:22:45 AM »
Toledo is a fine little city. I am biased because i have spent a lot of time there and Findlay (1 hr south on I-75).  I have visited St. George cathedral there several times.  The services are English but much of the chanting at Orthros is in Arabic (it is pretty good, nonetheless).

I'm not Arab, I'm not Greek, but I have to ask. Was your parenthetical comment really necessary?

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

I'm not Arab, I'm not Greek, but I have to ask. Was your parenthetical comment really necessary?
I am a Greek under the primacy of HAH VARTHOLOMAIOS A' and I think it's funny.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »

I am a Greek under the primacy of HAH VARTHOLOMAIOS A' and I think it's funny.

He sings well.  Of course he usually does so in Greek, but his smooth, deep voice makes that mumbo jumbo tolerable. 

Offline scamandrius

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »

Some people are turned off by good chanting if it is not in their native tongue.  My point was not to dissuade him from attending there because of the language used for Orthros.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 12:18:28 AM »
Ok, I get it. Sorry for that.

Offline scamandrius

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 12:20:58 AM »
Ok, I get it. Sorry for that.

It's cool. Just don't let it happen again! ;)