Author Topic: The Corporate Plan to Groom U.S. Kids for Servitude by Wiping Out Public Schools  (Read 977 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
It was the strike heard ‘round the country.

West Virginia’s public school teachers had endured years of low pay, inadequate insurance, giant class sizes, and increasingly unlivable conditions—including attempts to force them to record private details of their health daily on a wellness app. Their governor, billionaire coal baron Jim Justice, pledged to allow them no more than an annual 1% raise—effectively a pay cut considering inflation—in a state where teacher salaries ranked 48th lowest out of 50 states. In February 2018, they finally revolted: In a tense, nine-day work stoppage, they managed to wrest a 5% pay increase from the state. Teachers in Oklahoma and Kentucky have now revolted in similar protests.

It’s the latest battle in a contest between two countervailing forces: one bent on reengineering America for the benefit of the wealthy, the other struggling to preserve dignity and security for ordinary people.

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/the-corporate-plan-to-groom-u-s-kids-for-servitude-by-wiping-out-public-schools
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Isn't violently forcing children to be educated by the government a form of servitude?

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
Isn't violently forcing children to be educated by the government a form of servitude?

Selam
This is a different issue which has been discussed in a number of threads. And I disagree with your viewpoint.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Dashed upon the rock aka dead babies

Selam

Yes.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest

West Virginia’s public school teachers had endured years of low pay, inadequate insurance, giant class sizes, and increasingly unlivable conditions—including attempts to force them to record private details of their health daily on a wellness app. Their governor, billionaire coal baron Jim Justice, pledged to allow them no more than an annual 1% raise—effectively a pay cut considering inflation—in a state where teacher salaries ranked 48th lowest out of 50 states. In February 2018, they finally revolted: In a tense, nine-day work stoppage, they managed to wrest a 5% pay increase from the state. Teachers in Oklahoma and Kentucky have now revolted in similar protests.

It’s the latest battle in a contest between two countervailing forces: one bent on reengineering America for the benefit of the wealthy, the other struggling to preserve dignity and security for ordinary people.

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/the-corporate-plan-to-groom-u-s-kids-for-servitude-by-wiping-out-public-schools

Whats you idea going foward to combat this?

To gebre:
"Isn't violently forcing children to be educated by the government a form of servitude?

Selam"

Yes it is. Why cant i take the tax money going to the local school and use it for an orthdoox/catholic school?

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

Selam
Yes.  I always thought I was a slave when I was a student.  :)

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici

Selam
Yes.  I always thought I was a slave when I was a student.  :)

We dont need no _________, hey, teacher, leave that kid alone!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
School is nothing like servitude.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Show me the meaning of the word

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

"I like fake violence and real peace." - John Fugelsang

Offline Arachne

• Merarches

How about learning from those who do it better?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/07/us-education-spending-finland-south-korea

Why cant i take the tax money going to the local school and use it for an orthdoox/catholic school?

Because it's not just about you?
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline juliogb

• High Elder

Selam

It is indeed, as far as I remember, public schooling were originally created for mass indoctrination of entire generations in some ideology like nationalism, communism, nazism and today liberalism.

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici

How about learning from those who do it better?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/07/us-education-spending-finland-south-korea

Why cant i take the tax money going to the local school and use it for an orthdoox/catholic school?

Because it's not just about you?

You cant compare a country like Korea to the USA.
Size for one, we have way more people.
Diversity for another, America isnt one race like Korea.
Neither do we share the same culture.

We've tried throwing money at the problem
https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED418160
That didnt work, but IMO the problem is lack of Christianity being taught.
If society as a whole has no morals, do we expect children to have them on their own?

I dont see why its not up to me or my community, if we decide to raise children in a religious school environment instead of the secular state funded propaganda farm, thats our choice. I dont want my tax dollars to tell kids homosexuality is ok, sex is ok, or teach them evolution.

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici

Selam

It is indeed, as far as I remember, public schooling were originally created for mass indoctrination of entire generations in some ideology like nationalism, communism, nazism and today liberalism.

+1

Liberalism has infected our education system. The radicals from the 60s are now running the show, and have polluted top down the entire thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3EZCVj2XA

Whats needed is communities to take thier tax dollars and use them to rasie their children in religious environments.
Teach morality.
Teach the truth.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:55:27 PM by Rubricnigel »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
The liberal indoctrination worked very well, judging by the cries of "Muh freedomz" here.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Selam

+1

Liberalism has infected our education system. The radicals from the 60s are now running the show, and have polluted top down the entire thing.

Whats needed is communities to take thier tax dollars and use them to rasie their children in religious environments.
Teach morality.
Teach the truth.

I agree on this point.
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos

This has to be deadpan irony, or else the author is insane.  Because there are fixed costs for employment which exist in the US, which is why our heavy industry is so uncompetitive.  Now, Germany has even higher fixed costs than the US; their education system works however, and so for some miraculous reason their economy is able to creak along.  But in general, the idea of attempting to use the US workforce for what former President Clinton referred to as “muscle jobs” is, as Clinton admitted, implausible.  In the Rust Belt, the rust is too thick to bring most of the industry back.
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”

Offline Arachne

• Merarches
This has to be deadpan irony, or else the author is insane.  Because there are fixed costs for employment which exist in the US, which is why our heavy industry is so uncompetitive.  Now, Germany has even higher fixed costs than the US; their education system works however, and so for some miraculous reason their economy is able to creak along.  But in general, the idea of attempting to use the US workforce for what former President Clinton referred to as “muscle jobs” is, as Clinton admitted, implausible.  In the Rust Belt, the rust is too thick to bring most of the industry back.

There will never be a lack of menial jobs for the have-nots to not quite make a living.

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
While everyone is free to criticize public (in the US sense) school education, let's not forget that it does allow children from poor families to learn the basic 3 Rs rather than go directly into working life as illiterates. Keep in mind that there are children in the so-called developing world whose parents or guardians can't afford school fees as well as children who have to work to support their families or themselves so can't go to school.

The program I send a small amount of support to works in Myanmar. But if you google you'll find programs for street kids' education and similar programs in many countries. All of these could use more support.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:27:27 PM by FinnJames »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Sigh.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
While everyone is free to criticize public (in the US sense) school education, let's not forget that it does allow children from poor families to learn the basic 3 Rs rather than go directly into working life as illiterates. Keep in mind that there are children in the so-called developing world whose parents or guardians can't afford school fees as well as children who have to work to support their families or themselves so can't go to school.

The program I send a small amount of support to works in Myanmar. But if you google you'll find programs for street kids' education and similar programs in many countries. All of these could use more support.

I agree.

https://www.iocc.org

• Merarches

You must have gone to a Montessori school.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

Selam

Patronizing, much?  :P ::)
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

• Merarches

Selam

Patronizing, much?  :P ::)

I was just kidding. Take it easy.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
No, I did not attend a Montessori school.

My cousin is paying for his daughter to go to one. I think my cousin is a very good father. His daughter is doing well at that school.

In the United States, ninety percent of students go to public school.

We need to keep them in good order. We can't put up with an illiterate society.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
 :)

My cousin is paying for his daughter to go to one. I think my cousin is a very good father. His daughter is doing well at that school.

I can't read this.

• Merarches

I went to Montessori school in first grade.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline platypus

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
That's an interesting article, Arachne. Thank you for sharing it.

Quote from: Lynn Parramore
Lafer explains that in the new system, the children of the wealthy will be taught a broad, rich curriculum in small classes led by experienced teachers. The kind of thing everybody wants for kids. But the majority of America’s children will be consigned to a narrow curriculum delivered in large classes by inexperienced staff —or through digital platforms with no teachers at all.

Isn't this already the case? It seems children of the rich attend private school with sometimes good teachers, and the lower classes attend public school where they are prepared for a lifetime of menial labor whether they manage to graduate or not.

My public schooled friends, with the exception of those who went to the magnet school, learned very little beyond how to read and write. And only the very motivated became competent. My private schooled friends learned many things, then attended college. Of those, some got degrees that lead to employment, and others got lost - too smart for manual labor but their poetry degree isn't helping.

I don't really understand which changes the article describes would impact much. I also never saw the inside of a classroom until basic training, so my perspective on the school system is probably very lacking.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland

Selam

I like my government servitude. Without public school including university without tuition mine and many other kids' lives from working-class families would probably be a whole a lot different.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Arachne

• Merarches

Selam

I like my government servitude. Without public school including university without tuition mine and many other kids' lives from working-class families would probably be a whole a lot different.

+1

The Greek constitution enshrined public education for all future citizens as the state's obligation from 1822, years before independence. Parents were quite enthusiastic in their support, and remain so. Only a small percentage of children attend private schools, and that's mostly for the extended hours, not for any significant difference in the quality of education. Private universities are still illegal, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Thank God.

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos

Selam

+1

The Greek constitution enshrined public education for all future citizens as the state's obligation from 1822, years before independence. Parents were quite enthusiastic in their support, and remain so. Only a small percentage of children attend private schools, and that's mostly for the extended hours, not for any significant difference in the quality of education. Private universities are still illegal, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

This is an enormous violation of civil rights, particularly of the Church.  Strictly speaking, all of this education should be the province of the Church or other religions; universities are a Western distortion of the monastic system, and I find the secularization of Oxford and Cambridge, these beautiful buildings which once contained holy monasteries, with names like Blackfriars or Whitefriars indicating specific religious orders, essentially English versions of Mount Athos, to be evil and apalling, and nothing good has come from it.   What our society needs is a return to the late Byzantine-Syriac-Frankish consensus wherein higher learning is synonymous with monasticism.  Indeed, the artificial dichotomy between the monastery and the secular schools is in my view responsible for the worst excesses of the Renaissance and subsequent epochs.  Let it not be forgotten that the Lyceum, the Academy, and the other great schools of Greek philosophy were religious in nature as much as they were intellectual, a pattern replicated by the Catechtical School of Alexandria and that of Antioch-Nisibis.
-Cato the Elder

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
What time are you living in?

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos

PST 

Tis now a quarter til 5, or twoscore and four minutes past the Tenth Hour, if you prefer
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:45:17 PM by Alpha60 »
-Cato the Elder

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici

Selam

+1

This is an enormous violation of civil rights, particularly of the Church.  Strictly speaking, all of this education should be the province of the Church or other religions; universities are a Western distortion of the monastic system, and I find the secularization of Oxford and Cambridge, these beautiful buildings which once contained holy monasteries, with names like Blackfriars or Whitefriars indicating specific religious orders, essentially English versions of Mount Athos, to be evil and apalling, and nothing good has come from it.   What our society needs is a return to the late Byzantine-Syriac-Frankish consensus wherein higher learning is synonymous with monasticism.  Indeed, the artificial dichotomy between the monastery and the secular schools is in my view responsible for the worst excesses of the Renaissance and subsequent epochs.  Let it not be forgotten that the Lyceum, the Academy, and the other great schools of Greek philosophy were religious in nature as much as they were intellectual, a pattern replicated by the Catechtical School of Alexandria and that of Antioch-Nisibis.

We have Glorious Notre dame, a bastion of religious education.
/s

Offline Arachne

• Merarches

Selam

+1

This is an enormous violation of civil rights, particularly of the Church.

The Church (Constantinople at the time, and later the autocephalous Church of Greece) fully supported the arrangement. I guess they didn't know their rights. Or they were better at working with the state than you'll ever be. Whatever works.

Online Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic

PST 

Tis now a quarter til 5, or twoscore and four minutes past the Tenth Hour, if you prefer

LOL
This post gave me autism.

Since when has a Hierarch done anything for you? . . .

Offline Alpha60

• Protokentarchos

Selam

+1

This is an enormous violation of civil rights, particularly of the Church.

The Church (Constantinople at the time, and later the autocephalous Church of Greece) fully supported the arrangement. I guess they didn't know their rights. Or they were better at working with the state than you'll ever be. Whatever works.

Or, they made an arrangement which inadvertantly derrogated their rights and was in retrospect a grave strategic error.  Which, realistically, people do all the time.  Even Warren Buffet has made enormous financial mistakes.
-Cato the Elder

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Isn't public school where Marxism it taught ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Arachne

• Merarches

Not before reading, writing, maths, science, and a bunch of other useful things.

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici

Yuri Bezmenov warned us in the 1980's, and told us what we needed to do to end the marxist indoctrination hat was happening at our schools

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Marxism is never even mentioned until college, at least when I went. Then again, right-wingers think Marxism means everything, which it does not. It's a radical system of economics, based on the studies of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. They went to Manchester, England, and saw how bad the factory life was.

Based on the way Sethrak talks, he didn't even know that at all.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon

Selam

Well, today and for many years it is Marxism ~ they are just not using that title ```
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
How different is what the Left wing is teaching ~ from ~ what you know of Marxism ~ except for a few words and placation of enlisted groups ~ how different from what you've been taught to think ```