Author Topic: What does one do?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
What does one do?
« on: February 05, 2004, 11:47:58 AM »
Friends,

How does one deal with a prospective mother-in-law who openly tries to set up her daughter (aka my girlfriend) with a 33 year old twice divorced heating system repairmen simply because he's Italian and "more mature"?  I just found out about this just now and am fuming, entertaining very unChristian thoughts.

Please pray for me that I don't lose my top, as this is not the only incident of such behavior, and, frankly, disrespect towards myself and my girlfriend.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline MsGuided

• Pharmakolytria
  • Elder
  • St. Anastasia
Re:What does one do?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:36:21 PM »
My prayers for you and your girlfriend.  I have one such mother as you have described, yet she just doesn't go so far as to set me up with other people, she simply disapproves either verbally or by ignoring the situation entirely.  

I'm sure your girlfriend doesn't agree with the things her mother is doing, so I pray her mother will come to realise that she can not lead her daughters life for her and that her daughter is happy where she is now. With you  :)

Once again, my unworthy but understanding prayers

Kim
"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 12:48:01 PM »
Prayers!  And check your inbox.  :)
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Offline Byzantino

• Me Ortodox
  • Elder
  • Orthodox Christian
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 06:35:25 PM »
Schultz,

I'll pray for you. You have to stand firm. I know of some parents like that, they're fond of imposing their idea of happiness onto their children and end up condemning them to a life of misery. They're not impenetrable though; the mother is capable of coming around once she realizes how happy you make her daughter.

Byz

Offline TomS

• Archon
  • "Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 10:28:39 PM »
Schultz,

I'll pray for you. You have to stand firm. I know of some parents like that, they're fond of imposing their idea of happiness onto their children and end up condemning them to a life of misery. They're not impenetrable though; the mother is capable of coming around once she realizes how happy you make her daughter.

Byz

Sounds like all the Greek mothers that I know!

Offline PhosZoe

• Elder
  • One foot in the cradle
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 10:32:12 AM »
Ahhh the village mentality! :D

Do your best to win her over! Reassure her that her daughter will be no less Italian with you than the twice divorced repairman.

It's not an easy road, you are in my prayers.

PZ