OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:20:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Water  (Read 683 times) Average Rating: 0
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: July 10, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »

Is it wrong to "dose" an unbeliever without their knowledge with holy water, by slipping some into their drink, for example? I am serious, by the way.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:39:46 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »

I suppose it all depends on why you are doing it.

I have recommended someone do it because he suspected another person had a demonic problem (it turned out there was a misunderstanding over some behavior, partly cleared up by a negative test result).

But, if you are trying to gain control of the other person by means of Holy Water, then you are using it as a 'magical' item and that is sinful.

Holy Water is blessed by God for the healing, protection and edification of those who seek God's help.  It should not be used in any other way.  In the case I mentioned, a secondary result was the healing of the relationship, thanks be to God, by removing the unfounded concern of the 'doser.'  Certainly, there was no hope for harm.

Is it wrong to "dose" an unbeliever without their knowledge with holy water, by slipping some into their drink, for example? I am serious, by the way.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »

I'm not doing to gain control over anyone. I was more just wondering if it could help non-Christian and/or non-Orthodox friends and family if I sprinkled some holy water on their food or drink along with a prayer for them to God?

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:04:59 PM »

On a related topic, if a non-Orthodox friend or relative is sick or suffering, would it be okay to offer them a piece of blessed bread ( this time with 'full disclosure') or is that not allowed?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »

It's no Communion, so it's OK.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »

It's no Communion, so it's OK.

I know people have differing opinions on this, but for what it's worth, I believe the willingness of several priests and parishioners to offer me some scraps from the master's table when I was an inquirer helped me on my way to conversion. Before I was even a catechumen I on occasion would partake of blessed bread, receive the anointing at vigil, kiss the cross, etc in rrocor of all places. I always felt very blessed by these sacramental instances.

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »

There should not be a problem if the person receiving the Holy Water agrees.  It is not a 'Sacrament' in the same way Holy Communion is, so you don't have to be worried about that.

I'm not doing to gain control over anyone. I was more just wondering if it could help non-Christian and/or non-Orthodox friends and family if I sprinkled some holy water on their food or drink along with a prayer for them to God?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Tags: Holy Water 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: