OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:12:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Essential Islamic knowledge  (Read 4813 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »

Not in Islam, which for the most part is imbued with the love of the world.

Indeed, gabstaining from fornication for life,

Define fornication: for us four wives and as many concubines as you can handle is fornication.  The defining down of deviancy of fornication by the shari'ah skews your statement.

I keep on forgetting the correct term: if you divorce your wife three times, you have to have her marry someone else before you can marry her again.  There's a term for the man who does the deed which I always forget.

Four wives, concubines, and with you Malikis and Shi'ites temporary marriage (the other Sunnis do it too, they just resort to legal tricks to do so).  And yet Muslim men still manage to commit fornication and adultery.

going out to the mosque five times a day (one of which at dawn), sometimes the mosque being far away,

For Sunnis, it is only required to go to the mosque at noontime on Friday, and other festival prayers, etc. Otherwise, you can do them wherever you are.  Not a fault, just a fact (for Shi'ites, its even less). And there are plenty of store front mosques all over the place in the Muslim world.

fasting a month and jeopardizing one's life for the sake of the Almighty,

So you don't eat all day, but instead gorge yourself all night.  In Egypt Ramadan is like Carnival for a month. Even the Copts look forward to it, except when it falls during the Four Fasts of the Church, when they are the ones fasting.

all this among other things can only be cause by the love of the physical world.

Houris.

You urgently need to read some Islamic literature, I would advise you to read Imam Ghazali's Ihya, especially the two books about the sicknesses of the heart and their treatment, you will find it in any library in Egypt or Syria.

LOL. You assUme that I haven't read them.

It is famous enough, you can find it practically anywhere, and in translation.

May God forgive you.

And you.

Spread here without "iron"

You still don't get my point, even if we were to assume that every Christian in the world converted to Christianity through his own individual conviction without any pressure whatsoever, and  that every one who has ever converted to Islam did it through physical force, that wouldn't change the fact that if Christians were truly pacifist they would have been swallowed by Islamic states, and gradually converted to God's Religion like it happened in the Levant and Egypt.

You are asserting that a) the Christians were not truly pacifist b) were swallowed up by Islamic states.  That's besides ignoring that they had God's religion before Islam showed up, and kept to it.

In the Levant, Lebanon remained a majority Christian region until less than a century ago, and Upper Egypt is still majority Christian.  In both places emigration and slaughter by Muslims, rather than conversion, has been the main cause of demographic change.

The whole Near East remained majority Christian nearly everywhere until the Latin Crusades.  The Christian population took a severe and hard hit during and after the Crusaders.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:43:27 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »

I keep on forgetting the correct term: if you divorce your wife three times, you have to have her marry someone else before you can marry her again.  There's a term for the man who does the deed which I always forget.

MUHALLIL!  I keep on forgetting that term (btw, the reference to Muwatta' is particularly apropos, as our Muslim friend is Maliki and it is their foundational text):
MUHALLIL
If a Muslim man has divorced his wife, but then has a change of mind, he cannot simply remarry her even if both want to start over again. Islamic law stipulates that the wife must first marry and have intercourse with another man, and who has to divorce her again, before it becomes lawful for the original couple to remarry.

The man who marries a divorced wife in order to make her lawful for her former husband again is called muhallil, which literally means, "One who makes lawful."

The basis for this law is found in the Qur'an:

Divorce is twice; then honourable retention or setting free kindly. It is not lawful for you to take of what you have given them unless the couple fear they may not maintain God's bounds; if you fear they may not maintain God's bounds, it is no fault in them for her to redeem herself. Those are God's bounds; do not transgress them. Whosoever transgresses the bounds of God -- those are the evildoers. If he divorces her finally, she shall not be lawful to him after that, until she marries another husband. If he divorces her, then it is no fault in them to return to each other, if they suppose that they will maintain God's bounds. Those are God's bounds; He makes them clear unto a people that have knowledge. S. 2:229-230

Muslim tradition specifies that this cannot be a pro forma marriage (i.e. they cannot only marry on paper, not only register the marriage), but the woman must engage in sexual intercourse with the man before she can return to her former husband:

Yahya related to me from Malik from al-Miswar ibn Rifaa al-Quradhi from az-Zubayr ibn Abd ar-Rahman ibn az-Zubayr that Rifaa ibn Simwal divorced his wife, Tamima bint Wahb, in the time of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, three times. Then she married Abd ar-Rahman ibn az-Zubayr and he turned from her and could not consummate the marriage and so he parted from her. Rifaa wanted to marry her again and it was mentioned to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and he forbade him to marry her. He said, "She is not halal for you until she has tasted the sweetness of intercourse." (Malik's Muwatta, Book 28, Number 28.7.17)

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said from al-Qasim ibn Muhammad that A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said when asked whether it was permissible for a man to marry again a wife he had divorced irrevocably if she had married another man who divorced her before consummating the marriage, "Not until she has tasted the sweetness of intercourse." (Malik's Muwatta, Book 28, Number 28.7.18)

The man who makes the woman lawful for her former husband is called Muhallil:

Yahya related to me from Malik that he had heard that when asked whether it was permissible for a man to return to his wife if he had divorced her irrevocably and then another man had married her after him and died before consummating the marriage, al-Qasim ibn Muhammad said, "It is not halal for the first husband to return to her." Malik said, about the muhallil, that he could not remain in the marriage until he undertook a new marriage. If he had intercourse with her in that marriage, she had her dowry. (Malik's Muwatta, Book 28, Number 28.7.19)

This Islamic law stands in stark contradiction to the Biblical command:

"If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the LORD. Do not bring sin upon the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance." Deuteronomy 24:1-4

"God says, 'If a husband divorces his wife and she goes from him and belongs to another man, will he still return to her? Will not that land be completely polluted? But you are a harlot with many lovers; Yet you turn to Me,' declares the LORD. Lift up your eyes to the bare heights and see; Where have you not been violated? By the roads you have sat for them Like an Arab in the desert, And you have polluted a land with your harlotry and with your wickedness." Jeremiah 3:1-2

What God calls detestable, the Qur'an commands Muslims to perform. It is one of many reasons the Qur'an does not originate from the same source as the Bible. It is not from the God of the Bible. See also: Does Allah Command Evil?, A strange divorce and remarriage law in the Quran

Even from the time of Muhammad, we have reports about some of the bad consequences resulting from this Islamic regulation:

Narrated 'Ikrima:
Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. 'Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Apostle came, 'Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!" When 'AbdurRahman heard that his wife had gone to the Prophet, he came with his two sons from another wife. She said, "By Allah! I have done no wrong to him but he is impotent and is as useless to me as this," holding and showing the fringe of her garment, 'Abdur-Rahman said, "By Allah, O Allah's Apostle! She has told a lie! I am very strong and can satisfy her but she is disobedient and wants to go back to Rifa'a." Allah's Apostle said, to her, "If that is your intention, then know that it is unlawful for you to remarry Rifa'a unless Abdur-Rahman has had sexual intercourse with you." Then the Prophet saw two boys with 'Abdur-Rahman and asked (him), "Are these your sons?" On that 'AbdurRahman said, "Yes." The Prophet said, "You claim what you claim (i.e. that he is impotent)? But by Allah, these boys resemble him as a crow resembles a crow." (Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 715)

Whatever the reasons for their marital disagreements, the man was beating his wife (which the Qur'an allows, and which seems to be of no concern to Muhammad), but based on this law, Muhammad demands from her to have intercourse with this man, even though this may not be possible. Men can become impotent for many reasons. Perhaps 'AbdurRahman was able to perform intercourse in earlier years, but he had become impotent later. Having two sons does not prove anything about a man's present ability for intercourse. Muhammad was apparently unaware of this basic medical fact. Whether she was lying, or he was lying, it is obvious that this was not a happy marriage. Muhammad demanded that two people who had no love for each other, have intercourse before the woman could remarry her former husband, assuming that he wanted her back.
http://www.answering-islam.org/Index/M/muhallil.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Mekki

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Maliki

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 04:11:56 AM »

So you actually read the Ihya! Wow! Truly wow! I'm impressed. A Christian reading the Ihya is like a Muslim reading De Imitatione Christi! Congratulaions! I haven't finished it yet, it's a monster of a book.

But I didn't it rather hard for someone who read it to claim that Muslims have any interest in the physical world or in satisfying their carnal desires!

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
An ye support God, He will support thee.
Mekki

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 04:41:27 AM »

In the Levant, Lebanon remained a majority Christian region until less than a century ago, and Upper Egypt is still majority Christian.  In both places emigration and slaughter by Muslims, rather than conversion, has been the main cause of demographic change.

Evidence shows that the Egyptian population is homogeneous and the Islamic conquest didn't bring any noticeable contribution to the Egyptian genetic pool. I'm Moroccan, and like you, I know that you can spot an Egyptian from a crow of thousand as I can spot a Moroccan or Algerian brethren of mine. they have very distinctive facial features which are the same among both Christians and Muslims.

Considering that and considering that the Egyptian population is verging on a disastrous number of 80 million human, you claim leave us with three choices.

1) Muslims indeed slaughter the Christians but left a few couples and forced them to procreate like rabbits and provided them with some futuristic medical technology to ensure a high rate of child survival, and then they Islamized those children and from them the nearly 70 million Muslim Egyptian were born.

2) You're misinformed.

3) You're just making stuff up.

Since the first choice is physically impossible and since you're a Christian which means the third is also impossible, we are left with the second choice.

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 05:23:41 AM »

How many Christians were there in the Middle East and North Africa prior to Islam and how many are there today?

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Mekki

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 05:40:30 AM »

How many Christians were there in the Middle East and North Africa prior to Islam and how many are there today?

Egypt and the Levant were predominantly Christian. Most of the population has embraced God's Religion, alhamdulillah.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:40:43 AM by Mekki » Logged

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 06:50:36 AM »

Egypt and the Levant were predominantly Christian. Most of the population has embraced Satan's Religion, alhamduliliblis.

Agreed.  Grin

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Mekki

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2010, 07:10:21 AM »

Egypt and the Levant were predominantly Christian. Most of the population has embraced Satan's Religion, alhamduliliblis.

Agreed.  Grin

Sure thing, bro, they were also slaughtered. I hope we can move to another subject.

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »

So you actually read the Ihya! Wow! Truly wow! I'm impressed. A Christian reading the Ihya is like a Muslim reading De Imitatione Christi! Congratulaions! I haven't finished it yet, it's a monster of a book.

My doctorate exams were in Early Islamic History and Islamic Thought.

But I didn't it rather hard for someone who read it to claim that Muslims have any interest in the physical world or in satisfying their carnal desires!

LOL.  There is a reason why he calls it "Ihya" (for those misfortunate wretches who don't understand Arabic, it means "revival/reviviication/bring to life").  Most Muslim books do not read that way. Another that does is Rumi (in Persian, however).

Mekki

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2010, 09:29:20 AM »

My doctorate exams were in Early Islamic History and Islamic Thought.

That explains it! I must confess, I doubted you claim there for a moment, I think you can udnerstad why. I apologize for that.

LOL.  There is a reason why he calls it "Ihya" (for those misfortunate wretches who don't understand Arabic, it means "revival/reviviication/bring to life").  Most Muslim books do not read that way. Another that does is Rumi (in Persian, however).

I'm not quite sure what you're saying there, but if you're saying that zuhd is a rarity in Islamic thought and history then I must disagree with you, and quite strongly. The overwhelming majority of Islamic scholars were known for their extreme piety and zuhd in the material life, and this is true for both scholars of the esoteric (sufis) as well as those of exoteric (e.g. Imam Malik, Imam Shafi'i, Sufyan al-Thawri etc).

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

Evidence shows that the Egyptian population is homogeneous

Genetic testing shows that the Egyptian population is quite mixed, maternal markers showing contributions from the horn of Africa (especially close to the Tigre) and paternal ones showing links to Saharan populations.  The high level of cousin marriages etc. (among both Copts and Muslims) does have the effect of homogenizing the population (as inevitable some do not marry their cousins).
The geographic location of Egypt, at the interface between North Africa, the Middle East, and southern Europe, prompted us to investigate the genetic diversity of this population and its relationship with neighboring populations. To assess the extent to which the modern Egyptian population reflects this intermediate geographic position, ten Unique Event Polymorphisms (UEPs), mapping to the nonrecombining portion of the Y chromosome, have been typed in 164 Y chromosomes from three North African populations. The analysis of these binary markers, which define 11 Y-chromosome lineages, were used to determine the haplogroup frequencies in Egyptians, Moroccan Arabs, and Moroccan Berbers and thereby define the Y-chromosome background in these regions. Pairwise comparisons with a set of 15 different populations from neighboring European, North African, and Middle Eastern populations and geographic analysis showed the absence of any significant genetic barrier in the eastern part of the Mediterranean area, suggesting that genetic variation and gene flow in this area follow the "isolation-by-distance" model. These results are in sharp contrast with the observation of a strong north-south genetic barrier in the western Mediterranean basin, defined by the Gibraltar Strait. Thus, the Y-chromosome gene pool in the modern Egyptian population reflects a mixture of European, Middle Eastern, and African characteristics, highlighting the importance of ancient and recent migration waves, followed by gene flow, in the region.
http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals/human_biology/v074/74.5manni.html

Myself, I've seen a blond Copt fellahin who could have passed for a Swede (I know: I"ve part Swede and I've been to Sweden), down in the deep rural parts of Upper Egypt (near Deir-alMuharrak, where St. Joseph got the dream to return to Palestine). In Aswan I met a Nubian with deep black skin and blue eyes (back in the days before color contact lens.  He was quite insistent about how he was Nubian, not Egyptian). And I've seen every gradiation in between amongst the Egyptians. (I've seen quite a range in the Turkish Republic too, btw).

It would take a lot to change the gene pool of 80 million, but we haven't always been that many.  At the time of our last invasion (the British, 1882) the population of Egypt was 7 million, having hovered around 4-5 million for millenia.  The problem is that we have been getting immigrants from so many sources for so long from the same places, that genetic studies may only indicate the continued influx (which continues: the wives of the present (and so the mother of the future) and past presidents have British roots. This has been going on since the the 3rd millennia BC, when a writer complains that foreignors come into the Valley and "become people" i.e. Egyptians. The word for Syrian/Hittite became the word for "slave" (their source), and "Mede" became the word for soldier (after the Persian invasion: we had Libyans/Berbers, and Nubians too).  When Alexander came, he promoted his policy of importing Greeks (already under way for centuries in Egypt) and intermarrying.  The conversion to Christianity only accelerated that, with the Egyptians adopting the Greek alphabet over their hieroglyphics to write their Egypitian language, now called Coptic, which didn't fully die out until the 17th century.

and the Islamic conquest didn't bring any noticeable contribution to the Egyptian genetic pool.

The invasion which we are interested in, of course, is the Arab one under 'Umar.  Literary, linquistic and archeological evidence shows that the Muslim Arabs kept to themselves in the Amsar (millitary settlements) in Fustat and outside Alexandria, whereas the bulk of the rest of the country remained Coptic.  Many of the Chalcedonian population (mostly Greeks and others, but including Copts) left for the Roman Empire.  Things didn't change much until the Fatimids came with their Berber troops, and then imported Turks, Kurds and Arab Bedouin (the later which they sent to your neck of the woods) troops.  Being the conquerors, they had the lion share of resources (food, women, etc.).  They also brought in a lot of slaves, who were Islamicized in the process.  The destruction of the Coptic majority didn't happen until al-Hakim (who had a Greek mother) instituted consistent and prolonged persecusion, a rarity in Fatimid Egypt. Something which can't be said of the Mamluks, who raped the country in more ways than one and left us in the state Napolean and the Modern World found us in his invasion.

So in Lower Egypt we had the constant influx of new, Muslim rulers, to which the Copts of Lower Egypt responded mostly by fleeing south to Upper Egypt.

Btw, another issue of demography is the large monastic population of the Copts (St. Anthony after all organized monasticism in Egypt) versus the troops the succession of Muslim lords brought in, who tended to keep the whore houses going (there are a number of interesting records from the Mamluk period on the protistution trade and the army), along with all the slaves (the biographies of Muslim personalities in a huge proportion have a slave mother) and were fruitful and multiplied in the main centers of power, while the Copts retreated to the desert and the countryside.

The last major Muslim invasion was Muhammad Ali, who brought in lots of Albanians, more Turks, Armenians (not the first time: they came during Fatimid times. They do not, however, intermarry much so do not contribute to Egypt's common gene pool) and Greeks.

My son's godmother is a Copt who is part Arab (from Lebanon) and Greek (from Greece), besides Copt.

I'm Moroccan, and like you, I know that you can spot an Egyptian from a crow of thousand as I can spot a Moroccan or Algerian brethren of mine. they have very distinctive facial features which are the same among both Christians and Muslims.

Like this?

Meriam George, a Copt (and hence hard core Egyptian), and Miss Earth finalist.

Considering that and considering that the Egyptian population is verging on a disastrous number of 80 million human, you claim leave us with three choices.

As Egypt only had about 4-5 million two hundred years ago, and this has increased 1700%+ over that time this

1) Muslims indeed slaughter the Christians but left a few couples and forced them to procreate like rabbits and provided them with some futuristic medical technology to ensure a high rate of child survival, and then they Islamized those children and from them the nearly 70 million Muslim Egyptian were born.
is just plain ridiculous and uncalled for. A small population has mushroomed, not matter how you look at the data.  As I said, Upper Egypt has remained the haven of the Copts, until the rise of the recent Islamists there. Whereas the Muslims had a constant influx of numbers, and Copts numbers were kept down by themselves (monasticism) and their rulers (persecusion), both amply documented.

2) You're misinformed.

Hardly

3) You're just making stuff up.

I see no reason to start. I'll stick with the facts.

Since the first choice is physically impossible

The demographic history says otherwise.

and since you're a Christian

I'm not Copt. My people came in from Syria with Muhamma Ali.

which means the third is also impossible, we are left with the second choice.
Come up with some documentation that supports your contention.

Mekki

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »

Evidence shows that the Egyptian population is homogeneous

Genetic testing shows that the Egyptian population is quite mixed, maternal markers showing contributions from the horn of Africa (especially close to the Tigre) and paternal ones showing links to Saharan populations.  The high level of cousin marriages etc. (among both Copts and Muslims) does have the effect of homogenizing the population (as inevitable some do not marry their cousins).
The geographic location of Egypt, at the interface between North Africa, the Middle East, and southern Europe, prompted us to investigate the genetic diversity of this population and its relationship with neighboring populations. To assess the extent to which the modern Egyptian population reflects this intermediate geographic position, ten Unique Event Polymorphisms (UEPs), mapping to the nonrecombining portion of the Y chromosome, have been typed in 164 Y chromosomes from three North African populations. The analysis of these binary markers, which define 11 Y-chromosome lineages, were used to determine the haplogroup frequencies in Egyptians, Moroccan Arabs, and Moroccan Berbers and thereby define the Y-chromosome background in these regions. Pairwise comparisons with a set of 15 different populations from neighboring European, North African, and Middle Eastern populations and geographic analysis showed the absence of any significant genetic barrier in the eastern part of the Mediterranean area, suggesting that genetic variation and gene flow in this area follow the "isolation-by-distance" model. These results are in sharp contrast with the observation of a strong north-south genetic barrier in the western Mediterranean basin, defined by the Gibraltar Strait. Thus, the Y-chromosome gene pool in the modern Egyptian population reflects a mixture of European, Middle Eastern, and African characteristics, highlighting the importance of ancient and recent migration waves, followed by gene flow, in the region.
http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals/human_biology/v074/74.5manni.html

Myself, I've seen a blond Copt fellahin who could have passed for a Swede (I know: I"ve part Swede and I've been to Sweden), down in the deep rural parts of Upper Egypt (near Deir-alMuharrak, where St. Joseph got the dream to return to Palestine). In Aswan I met a Nubian with deep black skin and blue eyes (back in the days before color contact lens.  He was quite insistent about how he was Nubian, not Egyptian). And I've seen every gradiation in between amongst the Egyptians. (I've seen quite a range in the Turkish Republic too, btw).

It would take a lot to change the gene pool of 80 million, but we haven't always been that many.  At the time of our last invasion (the British, 1882) the population of Egypt was 7 million, having hovered around 4-5 million for millenia.  The problem is that we have been getting immigrants from so many sources for so long from the same places, that genetic studies may only indicate the continued influx (which continues: the wives of the present (and so the mother of the future) and past presidents have British roots. This has been going on since the the 3rd millennia BC, when a writer complains that foreignors come into the Valley and "become people" i.e. Egyptians. The word for Syrian/Hittite became the word for "slave" (their source), and "Mede" became the word for soldier (after the Persian invasion: we had Libyans/Berbers, and Nubians too).  When Alexander came, he promoted his policy of importing Greeks (already under way for centuries in Egypt) and intermarrying.  The conversion to Christianity only accelerated that, with the Egyptians adopting the Greek alphabet over their hieroglyphics to write their Egypitian language, now called Coptic, which didn't fully die out until the 17th century.

and the Islamic conquest didn't bring any noticeable contribution to the Egyptian genetic pool.

The invasion which we are interested in, of course, is the Arab one under 'Umar.  Literary, linquistic and archeological evidence shows that the Muslim Arabs kept to themselves in the Amsar (millitary settlements) in Fustat and outside Alexandria, whereas the bulk of the rest of the country remained Coptic.  Many of the Chalcedonian population (mostly Greeks and others, but including Copts) left for the Roman Empire.  Things didn't change much until the Fatimids came with their Berber troops, and then imported Turks, Kurds and Arab Bedouin (the later which they sent to your neck of the woods) troops.  Being the conquerors, they had the lion share of resources (food, women, etc.).  They also brought in a lot of slaves, who were Islamicized in the process.  The destruction of the Coptic majority didn't happen until al-Hakim (who had a Greek mother) instituted consistent and prolonged persecusion, a rarity in Fatimid Egypt. Something which can't be said of the Mamluks, who raped the country in more ways than one and left us in the state Napolean and the Modern World found us in his invasion.

So in Lower Egypt we had the constant influx of new, Muslim rulers, to which the Copts of Lower Egypt responded mostly by fleeing south to Upper Egypt.

Btw, another issue of demography is the large monastic population of the Copts (St. Anthony after all organized monasticism in Egypt) versus the troops the succession of Muslim lords brought in, who tended to keep the whore houses going (there are a number of interesting records from the Mamluk period on the protistution trade and the army), along with all the slaves (the biographies of Muslim personalities in a huge proportion have a slave mother) and were fruitful and multiplied in the main centers of power, while the Copts retreated to the desert and the countryside.

The last major Muslim invasion was Muhammad Ali, who brought in lots of Albanians, more Turks, Armenians (not the first time: they came during Fatimid times. They do not, however, intermarry much so do not contribute to Egypt's common gene pool) and Greeks.

My son's godmother is a Copt who is part Arab (from Lebanon) and Greek (from Greece), besides Copt.

See pages 7 and 8, there's hardly any trace of Arabian blood in all Arabic-speaking countries outside of Arabia.

http://www.dnatribes.com/sample-results/dnatribes-global-survey-regional-affinities.pdf

Like this?

Yes, like that, but to see what I'm talking about, imagine her with here original black hair. (even when you tried to find an exception from the look that I'm sure you have in mind, you couldn't)

Anyway, may the Almighty guide us all.

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »

See pages 7 and 8, there's hardly any trace of Arabian blood in all Arabic-speaking countries outside of Arabia.

http://www.dnatribes.com/sample-results/dnatribes-global-survey-regional-affinities.pdf

That would be rather hard to prove, as the genes that went into Arabia (it's not a source of population, but a receiver for most of its history) came from the population of those now Arabic-speaking countries outside of Arabia.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:14:44 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »

Egypt and the Levant were predominantly Christian. Most of the population has embraced God's Religion, alhamdulillah.

The rest of which were killed, enslaved or persecuted, either socially or through legal means and forced to "embrace" Muhammad's religion or flee the region to survive. Right? Or would you like to give your own explanation of what happened to those who are not apart of the "most" category you name.

oh and please provide your "evidence" of Egypt's homogeneous population. I find it difficult to believe for multiple purposes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:22:46 PM by Sloga » Logged

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Mekki

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2010, 02:04:44 AM »

The rest of which were killed, enslaved or persecuted, either socially or through legal means and forced to "embrace" Muhammad's religion or flee the region to survive. Right? Or would you like to give your own explanation of what happened to those who are not apart of the "most" category you name.

Most of the Christian population followed Christ and embraced Islam, the remained Christian.

oh and please provide your "evidence" of Egypt's homogeneous population. I find it difficult to believe for multiple purposes.

I'll accept it if you made a thread in an ethnology forum about the subject and the people there said that Muslim and Christian populatios in Egypt are different, and that the shift didn't happen through conversion.

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2010, 02:08:33 AM »

Like this?

Very pretty girl!
Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2010, 02:03:49 AM »

I'll accept it if you made a thread in an ethnology forum about the subject and the people there said that Muslim and Christian populatios in Egypt are different, and that the shift didn't happen through conversion.

no no. You are the one that claims something, and I do no accept it. Therefor, you shall provide me with evidence you claim to possess that will force me to accept your statement. Do not claim to have evidence and then upon request tell me to go to another forum for the task of discrediting evidence you clearly do not possess. You made the claim, now back it up yourself. Otherwise, do not make such ignorant claims.

Let me give you a basic rundown of why your claim is incorrect.

Copts are generally considered to be the descendants of ancient Egyptians, or the pre-Arab invasion Egyptians. Individuals who converted to Islam and succombed to Arabification were also for the most part Coptic originally, but genetically became more diverse since intermarriage with Arab Muslims became common, as opposed to the Copts who primarily continued to marry amongst themselves. Y-Chromosome studies show that Egyptian genes show strong similarities with fellow North African peoples, and also with Middle Eastern peoples. However, the Copts not only exist as a seperate ethnic group today because of religion, but when studying the ethnic groups of Egypt, the Copts/Christians are often presented as a seperate genetic group on their own. This is of course for the known reason that their genetic make up is at the very least slightly different from the Muslim Egyptians. Yes you see the term "Homogeneous Egypt" but it is followed by "90% of Egypt is Arab". The ten percent ommitted from this homogeneous status is indeed the Copts.

Most of the Christian population followed Christ and embraced Islam, the remained Christian.

I'm assuming that you mean the true Christ followers embraced Islam. It would be interesting to understand the psyche of an individual who at first embraces the Son of God who is all about love, compassian, peace and freedom of choice, then decides to abandon the belief that Christ was divine yet still view him as a prophet, while at the same time following a prophet who was totally opposite from Christ by partaking in murder, slavery, violence and believing in such an authoritarian faith.

On a side note, a Copt once pointed out how Allah has about 99 or such names/descriptions, yet love isn't one. I found the entire list and noticed one of the names was "the all loving" and upon showing him this, with the Arabic version beside it, he showed me the rather foggy translation actually meant "The one who is loved by all". Surely your God loves, does he not?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:14:13 AM by Sloga » Logged

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
Mekki

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »

no no. You are the one that claims something, and I do no accept it. Therefor, you shall provide me with evidence you claim to possess that will force me to accept your statement. Do not claim to have evidence and then upon request tell me to go to another forum for the task of discrediting evidence you clearly do not possess. You made the claim, now back it up yourself. Otherwise, do not make such ignorant claims.

Copts are generally considered to be the descendants of ancient Egyptians, or the pre-Arab invasion Egyptians. Individuals who converted to Islam and succombed to Arabification were also for the most part Coptic originally, but genetically became more diverse since intermarriage with Arab Muslims became common, as opposed to the Copts who primarily continued to marry amongst themselves. Y-Chromosome studies show that Egyptian genes show strong similarities with fellow North African peoples, and also with Middle Eastern peoples. However, the Copts not only exist as a seperate ethnic group today because of religion, but when studying the ethnic groups of Egypt, the Copts/Christians are often presented as a seperate genetic group on their own. This is of course for the known reason that their genetic make up is at the very least slightly different from the Muslim Egyptians. Yes you see the term "Homogeneous Egypt" but it is followed by "90% of Egypt is Arab". The ten percent ommitted from this homogeneous status is indeed the Copts.

It's common knowledge that Egypt was Islamized mainly due to conversion rather than immigration, so the burden of proof in on you. But the fact is, Genetic studies show that no genetic shift occurred in Egypt.
Not to mention who absurd it is to claim that Egypt, a country which has more population than Arabia put together, was islamized though Arab migration, for this to be true, Arabia must have been evacuated and every Arab went to Egypt.

I'm assuming that you mean the true Christ followers embraced Islam. It would be interesting to understand the psyche of an individual who at first embraces the Son of God who is all about love, compassian, peace and freedom of choice, then decides to abandon the belief that Christ was divine yet still view him as a prophet, while at the same time following a prophet who was totally opposite from Christ by partaking in murder, slavery, violence and believing in such an authoritarian faith.

Well, maybe, just maybe, early Egyptians were not liberal, they realized that God is not all about peace and freedom, that he's all about Justice (as justice requires both peace and war) and Law (which requires man's freedom to be limited by obligations). A view which they easily acquire by swiftly reading such book as Deuteronomy (i.e God does not favor pacifism and liberalism).

On a side note, a Copt once pointed out how Allah has about 99 or such names/descriptions, yet love isn't one. I found the entire list and noticed one of the names was "the all loving" and upon showing him this, with the Arabic version beside it, he showed me the rather foggy translation actually meant "The one who is loved by all". Surely your God loves, does he not?

All of God's attributes denote his love for us: He loves us because he is the Creator who created us and created the Earth and everything we need, he also loves us as he is the Sustainer and the Provider et cetera. Not to mention that Al-wadood really means the loving One,  as it derivied from the root WD ود and the word wid which means love, and hence wadood means the Loving One, as the wazn fa'oul refers to doing something consistently, so God is consistently loving.

And God knows best.

إن تنصرو الله ينصركم
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »

Well, maybe, just maybe, early Egyptians were not liberal, they realized that God is not all about peace and freedom, that he's all about Justice (as justice requires both peace and war) and Law (which requires man's freedom to be limited by obligations). A view which they easily acquire by swiftly reading such book as Deuteronomy (i.e God does not favor pacifism and liberalism).

In other words, Egyptians had the cultural psychology of the Old Testament revenge type "justice", but us European "gentiles" had a cultural psychology of the New Testament love and compassion?
Is that dichotomy really true?  It is hard for me to think that Serbs or ancient Romans as a nation are more or less compassionate than Egyptians. However, I don't rule out that the Old Testament style of revenge was better suited to some time periods, like ancient Israel, which as you said about Deuteronomy, liked passages giving it other peoples' land. Meanwhile it seems that Christianity becomes more favored where people have the material means and prosperity that they can love and forgive eachother.

It's possible that harsh realities of Israeli and Egyptian deserts weren't conducive to this caring mindset, but I don't know. After all, the Caucuses, Lebanon, and Ethiopia are Christian, while Egypt does have a big Christian minority. Please say what you think.

Also, I am not sure that Islam is really so obsessed with bloodshed, revenge, and hate as extremists in Sanhedrin Judaism or in Calvinism portray it.

All of God's attributes denote his love for us: He loves us because he is the Creator who created us and created the Earth and everything we need, he also loves us as he is the Sustainer and the Provider et cetera. Not to mention that Al-wadood really means the loving One,  as it derivied from the root WD ود and the word wid which means love, and hence wadood means the Loving One, as the wazn fa'oul refers to doing something consistently, so God is consistently loving.
And God knows best.

That is pretty.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

It's common knowledge that Egypt was Islamized mainly due to conversion
No, it's a common assertion.  How common in Egypt is an interesting question: most Arab Muslims pride themselves on Arab ancestry, which basically leaves conversion out of the question. I've actually heard it asserted more by Copts, but even they admit a lot of the Muslims are Arab imports.

rather than immigration, so the burden of proof in on you. But the fact is, Genetic studies show that no genetic shift occurred in Egypt.

You have yet to produce such "studies."  The problem is like trying to using testing to find out which indentical twin is the father of a child: most of the genes coming into Egypt after Islam came, were coming before.  There is, however, some difference between Y-chromosome studies and metrochondria, which would suggest differences in paternal and maternal lines (which often happens in subjected populations, for obvious reasons).

Not to mention who absurd it is to claim that Egypt, a country which has more population than Arabia put together, was islamized though Arab migration, for this to be true, Arabia must have been evacuated and every Arab went to Egypt.

Your not much on population studies, are you?  Brazil now has far more Lebanese than Lebanon does (6-7 million versus 4 million).  When the US became independent, it had under 4 million: 3,929,326, including 697,681 slaves (Amerindians, the US equivalent of the Copts, were not counted, but seem to have been just below 100,000). So 3, 231,645 (versus 10 million or slightly less in Great Britiain: it had around 5 million when they began to set up the English colonies). That from less than a milliion immigrants: the British sent 425,500, ended up with 2,560,000.  The Dutch, whose colony of 6,000 had been conquered in 1674, stayed and ended up with 100,000 in 1790 (including Martin Van Buren, the only US president not to have English as his native language: he spoke with a life long Dutch accent).  Immigration was a trickle until 1850, when the US had over 23 million, i.e. in just over two generations, it had increased fourfould. 1850-1930 the bulk of immigrants came (35 million), and the US ended up with 122,775,000.  That number depended on less than the 35 million immigrants, as a little publicized fact is that a third of all immigrants did go back to their home countries. So with about 12 million immigrants increased 3000% from 4 million in 1790 to 122 million in 1930. Other countries like Canada/Quebec etc. show similar demographic history. I use the New World examples as they are the best documented cases as to the demographic impact of imported populations.

To turn Egypt, Lane writes 1825-1835 that the population of Egypt was just over 2 million (depressed from demographic disruption caused by the establishment of Muhammad Ali's regime), and included 150,000 Copts at most.
http://books.google.com/books?id=iTUPAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA273&dq=Copts+Lane&hl=en&ei=CiA_TMOrMcjanAfittTUBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Copts%20Lane&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=xTUPAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA26&dq=%22In+a+country+where+neither+births+nor+deaths+are+registered%22&hl=en&ei=jSI_TJ7XOp2QnweK0fWXBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22In%20a%20country%20where%20neither%20births%20nor%20deaths%20are%20registered%22&f=false

I've seen estimates as high as 4-5 million for the population as a whole, and as high as a quarter million for the Copts at the time. Let's use the high 5 million for the total population, and even go lower than Lane for the Copts to 100,000 (the absolute mimimum for the time).  As you keep going on about, the population has increased in the just under two centuries at least 1,500%, not even considering the considerable emmigration from Egypt. Using the government's figures, which even it admits are low, the Copts have increased 5,000-7,500% over the same time, and have gone from at least 2% to the present government claim of 6-7% (I"ve seen Egyptian government publications which admit as high as 20%). This, as the law court records show, Copts do convert to Islam. Btw, at independence the population was 13 million, with 700,000 Copts according to the census. At the time of the British invasion (our last) in 1882 the census said the country had 6,806,400, with 6,051,625 (88.91%) Muslims, and 405, 903 Copts (5.96%). The rest were Greeks, Armenians, Jews, and foreignors.  The Arab Bedouin in the Deserts, interestingly, began to be counted in the country's census: they were 250,000. Despite nearly a century and a half of being kept at arms length, marginalized while also forcibly settled, they number just under a million now (not counting their settled descendants).  The ones who came in brining Islam, who had the whole of the Nile Valley for their use, could, and did, even better.
http://books.google.com/books?pg=PR24&dq=Egypt%20census%20700%2C000%20christian&ei=FT4_TMT8CMLbnAfn083mBA&ct=result&id=mGjOAAAAMAAJ&output=text

Btw, the population of the Arabian Peninsula is 77,983,936, so you are pretty much wrong in your conclusions there too.  True, much of that is foreign (at least 20%), but then again, the argument here is that most of the Egyptian population comes from immigration.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »

More to the OP, and the claims that have followed.

1. "Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have what he intended. Thus, he whose migration (hijrah) was to Allah and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated."

What has this added to the Sermon on the Mount? Mat. 5:
13 "You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trodden under foot by men. 14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid. 15 Nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
17 "Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them. 18 For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
21 "You have heard that it was said to the men of old, 'You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.' 22 But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Make friends quickly with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison; 26 truly, I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny.
27 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell...4
3 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The problem is that the jurists of Islam have reduced niyyah "intention" to a formality recited before prayer or some other act of piety.  The Fathers, instead, meditating on the Beatitude "Blessed are the Pure in Heart, for they shall see God" teach of cleansing the heart, as Christ taught (Mat. 15:)
1 Then Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2 "Why do your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat." 3 He answered them, "And why do you transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'He who speaks evil of father or mother, let him surely die.' 5 But you say, 'If any one tells his father or his mother, What you would have gained from me is given to God, he need not honor his father.' 6 So, for the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God. 7 You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: 8 'This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.'" 10 And he called the people to him and said to them, "Hear and understand: 11 not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man." 12 Then the disciples came and said to him, "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?" 13 He answered, "Every plant which my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up. 14 Let them alone; they are blind guides. And if a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit." 15 But Peter said to him, "Explain the parable to us." 16 And he said, "Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and so passes on? 18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a man. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. 20 These are what defile a man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."...
23:1 Then said Jesus to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; 3 so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice. 4 They bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger. 5 They do all their deeds to be seen by men; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, 6 and they love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues, 7 and salutations in the market places, and being called rabbi by men.
8 But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren. 9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ. 11 He who is greatest among you shall be your servant; 12 whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither enter yourselves, nor allow those who would enter to go in. 14  "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, even while for a pretence you make long prayers: therefore you shall receive greater condemnation."
15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you traverse sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves.
16 "Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'If any one swears by the temple, it is nothing; but if any one swears by the gold of the temple, he is bound by his oath.' 17 You blind fools! For which is greater, the gold or the temple that has made the gold sacred? 18 And you say, 'If any one swears by the altar, it is nothing; but if any one swears by the gift that is on the altar, he is bound by his oath.' 19 You blind men! For which is greater, the gift or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 So he who swears by the altar, swears by it and by everything on it; 21 and he who swears by the temple, swears by it and by him who dwells in it; 22 and he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by him who sits upon it.
23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. 24 You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!
25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you cleanse the outside of the cup and of the plate, but inside they are full of extortion and rapacity. 26 You blind Pharisee! first cleanse the inside of the cup and of the plate, that the outside also may be clean.
27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. 28 So you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but within you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 saying, 'If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.' 31 Thus you witness against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers. 33 You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell? 34 Therefore I send you prophets and wise men and scribes, some of whom you will kill and crucify, and some you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from town to town, 35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of innocent Abel to the blood of Zechari'ah the son of Barachi'ah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly, I say to you, all this will come upon this generation. 37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! 38 Behold, your house is forsaken and desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

Sloga
High Elder

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »

You really lack and real basis for an academic argument I don't even know how to go about continuing this discussion. Smiley

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »

It's common knowledge that Egypt was Islamized mainly due to conversion rather than immigration, so the burden of proof in on you.
Common knowledge?  To whom? Huh
NorthernPines
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »

It's common knowledge that Egypt was Islamized mainly due to conversion rather than immigration, so the burden of proof in on you.

Common knowledge, or urban legend? What sort of sources do you have for this "common knowledge?"

But the fact is, Genetic studies show that no genetic shift occurred in Egypt.

What genetic studies? Do you have unbiased, scientific sources from multiple attestations within the genetic scientific field? If you know of such studies, can you point them out? Mind you, since now you're dealing with specific historical and scientific claims, you must find sources that are accepted by the historic and scientific fields at large, and not just one or two guys who claim something out of thin air. Anyone can find a couple scientists who will say anything...even that the earth is flat. I mean, in America we have one or two scientists who claim weird things...but are they published in scientific journals? Has their work been critiqued? Falsified? Verified? Are your sources declaring mere hypothesis or theories? If it's a theory, what is the body of evidence that verifies it? Is it testable? Or is it merely "wishful thinking" on the part of some people of a certain national, ethnic and religious bent,  to claim what you are now claiming. It sounds to me more like mythologizing history than actual history to me. Which is why I ask for sources. And keep in mind they must be sources everyone here will be willing to accept. (ie: quoting some Islamic apologetics website won't do it, you'll need to link to scientific websites that are not under religious organization out to defend the faith)

NP

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2010, 12:46:28 PM »

On Hadith #1
So you said you are convinced the da'wah is doing fine in Africa.  I have no vested interest in convincing you otherwise.  I know what I know.  The Orthodox Church had not spread as fast nor as far as I'd like, but I want the whole continent baptized by the heir of the preaching of St. Mark (the Christian equivalent of 'Amr b. 'As, except St. Mark came from Africa and came without a sword). So it's all relative to me.

I have made it quite clear that I'm anti-modern, anti-humanist and most certainly anti-pacifist in doctrine, so you can drop the sword thing,

LOL. The idea is that you drop the sword thing. I have other instructions. John 18:11.

The problem of appealing to the sword to spread your faith, is that it depends on your grip on the sword. It also calls into question the motives of your converts," the issue which you supposedly say is most important in Islam, hadith #1.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »

To continue.
2. "While we were one day sitting with the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, there appeared before us a man dressed in extremely white clothes and with very black hair. No traces of journeying were visible on him, and none of us knew him.

He sat down close by the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, rested his knee against his thighs, and said, O Muhammad! Inform me about Islam." Said the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, "Islam is that you should testify that there is no deity save Allah and that Muhammad is His Messenger, that you should perform salah (ritual prayer), pay the zakah, fast during Ramadan, and perform Hajj (pilgrimage) to the House (the Ka'bah at Makkah), if you can find a way to it (or find the means for making the journey to it)." Said he (the man), "You have spoken truly."

We were astonished at his thus questioning him and telling him that he was right, but he went on to say, "Inform me about iman (faith)." He (the Messenger of Allah) answered, "It is that you believe in Allah and His angels and His Books and His Messengers and in the Last Day, and in fate (qadar), both in its good and in its evil aspects." He said, "You have spoken truly."

Then he (the man) said, "Inform me about Ihsan." He (the Messenger of Allah) answered, " It is that you should serve Allah as though you could see Him, for though you cannot see Him yet He sees you." He said, "Inform me about the Hour." He (the Messenger of Allah) said, "About that the one questioned knows no more than the questioner." So he said, "Well, inform me about the signs thereof (i.e. of its coming)." Said he, "They are that the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress, that you will see the barefooted ones, the naked, the destitute, the herdsmen of the sheep (competing with each other) in raising lofty buildings." Thereupon the man went off.

I waited a while, and then he (the Messenger of Allah) said, "O 'Umar, do you know who that questioner was?" I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know better." He said, "That was Jibril. He came to teach you your religion.""
Jibril, btw, is what Muslims call Gabriel. They also call him the holy spirit (and say we are confused on that matter).

There is a whole introduction to Islam on this hadith,
The vision of Islam By Sachiko Murata, William C. Chittick
http://books.google.com/books?id=GZJ1O9Xe68EC&pg=PR32&dq=Islam+hadith+of+gabriel&cd=2#v=onepage&q=Islam%20hadith%20of%20gabriel&f=false
(I should say that a very pro-Sunni Zaydi Shiite convert I went to university with criticized it, mostly because of the Sufic content, IIRC).

The first part give the Creed of Islam, and its sacraments/mysteries. Islam is not submission to God, but professing the prophethood of Muhammad, which of course no Christian can accept.

To start on why that is so, perhaps I should post the renunciation part of the reception of Muslims (called Mahomtan in Hapgood):
The Mahometan renounceth: The Mahometan faith, and its Sophistries ; Mahomet, as being a false prophet; the Koran and all false legends, laws and traditions therein contained; the pilgrimage to Mecca for worship, as salutary to the soul; the inculcation of polygamy in this life, and the teaching; as to sensual pleasures in Paradise; and the blasphemies which Mahometans utter touching Christ our Saviour, his most holy Mother, and Christians.

(He accepteth all the points set forth for the Jew, and in addition the belief that the Holy Scriptures contained in the Old and New Testaments, as' accepted by the Church, are the Word of God, given for our salvation, and were written by the holy men of God who were illumined by the Holy Spirit; that the traditions,regulations and prayers which have come down from the Apostles and the holy Fathers of the Church are salutary for the soul; and that the Apostles, Martyrs, and all the Saints revered by the Holy Church are, in very truth, Saints of God, abide with Christ in the kingdom of heaven, and pray for us sinners. He also professeth belief touching the holy images (see page 459) required from all converts.)

The points "set forth for the Jew" refered to:
(The Jew accepteth the belief: That the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one God, divided in three Persons, but in Essence undivided; that Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son of God, was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the Virgin. Mary for the sake of our salvation, and became very man, yet remaining very God, one in Essence, but in two Persons, divine and human ; that our Lord Jesus Christ, of his own free will, in very truth, and not in appearance only, suffered for us in the flesh, but not in his divinity, and, having died and been buried as man, rose again by virtue of his divinity, and ascended into heaven in the flesh; that the Virgin Mary was and remained truly Virgin, and therefore is worthy of reverence as the chief intercessor for us with God; and that the Cross of Christ was the instrument and emblem of our salvation.)

And "touching the holy images":
Bishop: Dost thou confess that the images of our Saviour Christ; and of the Ever-virgin Mother of God, and of the other Saints are worthy of being owned, held and honoured; not unto idolatry, but that, through contemplation thereof, we may be incited unto piety, and unto emulation of the righteous deeds represented by these images ?

Answer. I do.
http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA468&dq=hapgood+reception+of+converts&ei=C7JATIaCBcO88gbvmLyJCg&ct=result&id=hVIXAAAAYAAJ#v=onepage&q&f=false

As such, since the Muslim is required to renounce the Hajj to receive baptism, that to say it is necessary is not to have "spoken truly." This has been a subject of dispute from the very beginning of Islam's appearance (odd, since the Muslim tradition says an Ethiopia Christian rebuilt it for the pagans Meccans in Muhammad's day, and it had an icon of the Theotokos, which Muhammad left after destroying all the idols in the Ka'bah at the conquest of Mecca). As St. John of Damascus (whose grandfather represented the populace to the conquering Caliph. St. John himself was born in rein of Mu'awiyah, who established the caliphate at Damascus, and was a frequent figure at the court untill he retired to the Monastery of St. Sabas in Palestine), says:
They furthermore accuse us of being idolaters, because we venerate the cross, which they abominate. And we answer them: ‘How is it, then, that you rub yourselves against a stone in your Ka’ba and kiss and embrace it?’ Then some of them say that Abraham had relations with Agar upon it, but others say that he tied the camel to it, when he was going to sacrifice Isaac. And we answer them: ‘Since Scripture says that the mountain was wooded and had trees from which Abraham cut wood for the holocaust and laid it upon Isaac, and then he left the asses behind with the two young men, why talk nonsense? For in that place neither is it thick with trees nor is there passage for asses.’ And they are embarrassed, but they still assert that the stone is Abraham’s. Then we say: ‘Let it be Abraham’s, as you so foolishly say. Then, just because Abraham had relations with a woman on it or tied a camel to it, you are not ashamed to kiss it, yet you blame us for venerating the cross of Christ by which the power of the demons and the deceit of the Devil was destroyed.’ This stone that they talk about is a head of that Aphrodite whom they used to worship and whom they called Khabár. Even to the present day, traces of the carving are visible on it to careful observers.
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/stjohn_islam.aspx

We of course do not have a problem with the idea of pilgrimage in and of itself, except perhaps the idea of elevating it to a sacrement/Holy Mystery, as we worship in Spirit and Truth, and not on any mountain. John 4:19-24.  Mt. Arafat has not replaced, nor Moriah, nor Zion, nor Calvary. Nor even Mt. Gerezim.  The Rock uncut by human hands has struck done the idol and become the great mountain and filled all the earth. (Daniel 2:34-5) Calvary has become the mount of Paradise.  Thus before the Cross that stood on it we bow down in worship, not to Mecca's Ka'bah with its Black Rock.

The problem with the Hajj (which just means "pilgrimage" btw, a Hebrew cognate), is that it commemorates an event (the sacrifice of Isaac), which didn't happen there. In fact, it happened at Mt. Moriah/Zion, where Melchizedek, the type of Christ as High priest, King of Salem, worshipped.  In other words, to go to Mecca is to deny the Biblical account and all that it stands for (read Hebrews).  There Christ was raised on the Cross as the sacrifice promised Abraham, and there the Mystical Supper was instituted for us to partake of that sacrifice.  The Muslims sacrifice a lamb on the last day of the Hajj in imitation of this: I'm torn as to whether to partake of it would be like eathing the Jews' passover.

To be cont....

Tags: Islam ecumenism 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: