OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Chrismation forgive sins?  (Read 1044 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: July 10, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »

I've been reading Patrick Barnes' book, The Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church, and he says that receiving RC and Protestant converts through Chrismation is an act of oikonomia and it doesn't mean that their Baptisms impart the same Grace as Orthodox Baptisms. Does this mean that if I got Chrismated in Orthodoxy every sin I've ever committed would be forgiven like it would if I got Baptized? Would I still need to confess sins committed before the Chrismation?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:06:13 AM by Apples » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »

If you look at the Service Books (e.g., Hapgood's) you will see that before the ceremony of Chrismation begins the person being received by Chrismation makes a complete confession of all his sins "from his youth up."  

No Absolution is given at this point.

Later, after the formal renunciation of previos theological errors and the recital of the Creed, the Prayer of Absolution is pronounced over the  person.  After the Absolution the Chrismation commences.

Btw, there is a note which ends this Service:  " There are several differences in this Office, as celebrated in the Greek Church; but they are not important."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:23:03 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02:25 PM »

If you look at the Service Books (e.g., Hapgood's) you will see that before the ceremony of Chrismation begins the person being received by Chrismation makes a complete confession of all his sins "from his youth up."  

Later, after the formal renunciation of previos theological errors and the recital of the Creed, the Prayer of Absolution is pronounced over the  person.  After the Absolution the Chrismation commences.

Btw, there is a note which ends this Service:  " There are several differences in this Office, as celebrated in the Greek Church; but they are not important."

I have a question about this. I was recently received from the RCC into Orthodoxy by chrismation. Leading up to it, I asked a few times if I would need to be confessed, but was told I did not. So, should the Prayer of Absolution have worked even though I was not confessed?

(yes, I will ask my priest but I am still posting the question here)
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »

I have a question about this. I was recently received from the RCC into Orthodoxy by chrismation. Leading up to it, I asked a few times if I would need to be confessed, but was told I did not. So, should the Prayer of Absolution have worked even though I was not confessed?

(yes, I will ask my priest but I am still posting the question here)

Sauron: If you were absolved...you were absolved. Carry on.

William: I think if you remember something that you neglected in your life confession prior to your chrismation, it would be a good idea to confess that. Your priest probably wouldn't give a penance or anything for it, but it's probably good to deal with those things as they come to mind. It was suggested to me to do the same, and I was received by baptism.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »

Several spiritual fathers ask for a life confession as one's first confession, especially if one has not confessed before. Sometimes, with Roman Catholics, confession is assumed, and a life confession is not asked for.

Chrismation itself is not for the remission of sins, but Holy Communion is "unto remission of sins and life everlasting."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »

For me, I had to do life confession, and Chrismation would be my absolution.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »

[I have no idea how to delete a stupid comment.]

+ + +Mint you did it correctly delete the statement and explain why you deleted it---it is so much better when you self correct rather than have to have a moderator intervene---Thanks for staying on the alert about your own postings - Thomas Convert Issues Forum Moderator.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:50:26 PM by Thomas » Logged

Tasting is Believing
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: