OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:12:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a particular pre-communal hymn  (Read 660 times) Average Rating: 0
ProdigalSon

OC.net

« on: July 09, 2010, 11:51:51 PM »

Hello,

I have a question and I was hoping somebody here might be able to point me in the right direction.  There is a hymn I have heard sung in American Russian/Carpatho-Rusyn parishes that is absolutely beautiful, but whenever I ask people about it nobody knows what I am talking about.

I believe it is typically sung just prior to communion, but I may be mistaken. I do not believe it is regularly sung. It is a very feminine song and seems to be based on a psalm from what I can recall of the lyrics.

I know that is not much of a lead - I remember it in phrases: "I will ______ for the Lord ____ in the midst of all his people ____ I will _____ of thanksgiving ____ and dwell in the house of the Lord."

That is unfortunately the best of my recollection. I cannot sing so my ability to communicate this to people has been unsuccessful and the internet searches have not helped.

If anyone can think of anything that might fit, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

NULL
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »

This sounds like verses from psalm 115.

If that is what you are remembering, then my local Antiochian church may well have what you are looking for, as they sing verses from this psalm at communion.  It may not be the same setting but it can't hurt to find out.  Is it the music that you need or are you just curious to find out where it comes from?

M
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:24:53 PM by Subdeacon Michael » Logged

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »

I think this might be what Sdn Michael is referring to http://www.antiochian.org/sites/antiochian.org/files/StGeorge.Psalm_.Thanksgiving.27.pdf. It takes verses from various psalms, including as Sdn Michael suggested Ps 115. It is used as a precommunion hymn.
ProdigalSon

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:05 AM »

Thank you both. I think Subdeacon Michael is on the right track with Psalm 115:

"What shall I render to the Lord, for all the things he hath rendered unto me? [13] I will take the chalice of salvation; and I will call upon the name of the Lord. [14] I will pay my vows to the Lord before all his people: [15]"

That sounds very close.

I whistled the song (that's about the extent of my musical ability unfortunately) for my mother earlier today while visiting home and she recognized it, but did not know the name. She promised to check with the choir director tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find out.

NULL
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:47 AM »

I'm actually unfamiliar with that one, genesisone, but it does sound quite nice.  I have managed to find the one I had in mind.  It's available as a PDf download from the OCA website.  Here it is.  Is that the one, ProdigalSon?

M
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:52:09 AM by Subdeacon Michael » Logged

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
ProdigalSon

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:57:55 AM »

That's it!!!!

Thank you so much. That is great. I am planning a wedding and was hoping to slip this into any pre-ceremony hymns the choir might sing. For some reason it always moved me. Thanks again!

NULL
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:30:58 AM »

That is a beautiful song!  At my OCA parish, we've sung it occasionally for four to five years now. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »

That's it!!!!

Thank you so much. That is great. I am planning a wedding and was hoping to slip this into any pre-ceremony hymns the choir might sing. For some reason it always moved me. Thanks again!

Smiley You're very welcome.  Glad to be of help.

M

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: