OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:58:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restaurant  (Read 1122 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« on: February 26, 2010, 08:02:41 AM »

Suppose someone were to be Coptic and own a restaurant.  Would it be immoral of them to serve meat at their restaurant during a fast?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »

No. Just as it would not be wrong to own a general stores and sell dairy, meat and fish products during Lent, or to work in McDonalds during Lent.

Fasting is a personal ascesis, and not one we can or should impose on others. It is not eating meat which is wrong, but being unable, as an orthodox Christian, to control ourselves.

There might be issues around tasting the food in a restaurant if one were a chef. Not sure how that would work.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »

There might be issues around tasting the food in a restaurant if one were a chef. Not sure how that would work.

Father Peter

Father bless,

But would it be okay just to "taste" within the work context, verses "indulging" and taking advantage of the situation? I mean, if the Chef observes the fast to the best of his Spiritual Father's direction outside of work (and during work), and chooses to have Lenten meals for his own personal gastronomic fulfillment, wouldn't that still be within the spirit of the Fast?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »

Hi

I guess its material for a conversation between such a person and his/her spiritual father. I don't know what has been done when this situation has arisen in the past. I don't know how much tasting needs to take place, and which activities in a professional kitchen especially require most tasting to take place. It's something I think a spiritual father should advise on.

As I said earlier though, I definitely don't see an issue with preparing and selling non-fasting foods during the fasts.

Father Peter

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:53:22 AM »

I think that to serve meat, etc. during fasting periods may not be immoral, but I think it is best not to do so since we are to consider our Christian brothers and sisters. They may be unnecessarily tempted by what you are serving. By not serving meat during Lent, you are not forcing anyone else not to eat meat or to observe fasting themselves. They can get their meat elsewhere. It's tough, and our natural inclination is to rationalize these things so that we don't lose our profits or hurt our business. But I guess we need to ask ourselves how seriously we are about our Faith.

That's just my opinion.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 04:07:50 AM »

That would be so if we were in an Orthodox country. But here in the UK probably 0.01% of the population are fasting from meat. And probably 0.5% of the population even think that there is a possibilty they would benefit from fasting from meat. There are a very large number of non-Christians and non-Orthodox who still need to eat, and not serving them meat is not the same as teaching them to fast.

To be serious about our own faith does not require us to impose the restrictions we place upon ourselves on others shoulders. If it were a matter of sin that would be different. I do think that someone involved in TV programme production for instance needs to consider the moral quality of any programme they are involved with. Or on the issue of food, if someone were knowingly involved in the production of very bad food - too much sugar, too many additives etc - they should perhaps consider their involvement. But in a country which is not Orthodox at all I do not see any moral problem with cooking and serving meat.

If I were a restaurant owner I might want to take the opportunity of the Fast to offer good quality fasting food AS WELL.

God bless

Father Peter

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:10:20 PM »

That would be so if we were in an Orthodox country. But here in the UK probably 0.01% of the population are fasting from meat. And probably 0.5% of the population even think that there is a possibilty they would benefit from fasting from meat. There are a very large number of non-Christians and non-Orthodox who still need to eat, and not serving them meat is not the same as teaching them to fast.

To be serious about our own faith does not require us to impose the restrictions we place upon ourselves on others shoulders. If it were a matter of sin that would be different. I do think that someone involved in TV programme production for instance needs to consider the moral quality of any programme they are involved with. Or on the issue of food, if someone were knowingly involved in the production of very bad food - too much sugar, too many additives etc - they should perhaps consider their involvement. But in a country which is not Orthodox at all I do not see any moral problem with cooking and serving meat.

If I were a restaurant owner I might want to take the opportunity of the Fast to offer good quality fasting food AS WELL.

God bless

Father Peter

That makes sense to me.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
EanZer

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:57:04 PM »

That is a big no for me. I think that is depends on the person who are going to eat in that restaurant. Every people in our life have different perception in life and have own decision.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »

Resteraunts in the US used ot have Lenten seafood specials, especially in heavily Catholic areas. Maybe an Orthodox chef or resteraunt owner could use the oppurtunity to share some special fasting foods with the community. Given the growing market for vegetarian dishes, this could open a new avenue for a resteraunt.

Proverbs 22:7
kansas city

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »

Resteraunts in the US used ot have Lenten seafood specials, especially in heavily Catholic areas. Maybe an Orthodox chef or resteraunt owner could use the oppurtunity to share some special fasting foods with the community. Given the growing market for vegetarian dishes, this could open a new avenue for a resteraunt.

See that was my first reaction.  If you stop serving meat during fasts, people will miss it, their interest will be piqued, they'll likely talk about it to friends, and then come back.  As well, decent fasting food would draw members of many communities, who talk about their diets a lot.

I'm just saying, if we're going to fall real heavily on our own reason here, get paid.
Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »

I noticed that when in Ethiopia earlier this year all the restaurants had fasting option.

It seems to me that having such an option in a non-Orthodox country would a) be an illuminating talking point and b) might attract Orthodox customers.
Tags: Lent fasting OO Lent restaurant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: