OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:21:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask-A-Priest  (Read 669 times) Average Rating: 0
kansas city

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: July 09, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »

There seem to be a fair amount of clergy active on this forum, posters and moderators. Is there any reason not to have a section of the forum wherein only members of the clergy were permitted to respond? 

I may be in a unique situation but I know that it would be an immense help.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:56:05 PM »

There seem to be a fair amount of clergy active on this forum, posters and moderators. Is there any reason not to have a section of the forum wherein only members of the clergy were permitted to respond? 

I may be in a unique situation but I know that it would be an immense help.

Rather than have an entire section of the forum cordoned off, if a person is seeking advice from a priest the PM system works very well and is also very private.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:25:53 AM »

Although, if someone is asking a question, there may be other people who have the same question who would benefit from an "ask a priest" section of the forum since they would be able to read the question and answers. Also, it would prevent clergy from having to answer the same question multiple times via PM. I know on my own Catholic forum that I attend a lot, I benefited greatly from the Ask a Priest section.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 12:51:26 AM »

I disagree. If a person is bothered by something, it is better for that person to take the initiative and ask a clergyman for counsel, thereby starting on the road to taking action instead of reading of a situation that may be close but potentially not close enough.

Plus, by PM much more information can be given since the communication is private.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:53:30 AM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
kansas city

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 01:20:47 AM »

I started to open a new thread in the "Faith" section, however think it best here, fully aware this isn't a 'Technical Help' issue, but relevant to this particular thread.

Pastoral care, to my eye, seems inseparable from the Priesthood.  Every personal issue or hang up I can recall being addressed on this site has received the response, "Talk to your priest." Eldership, confessors, spiritual fathers, all have very very outspoken and significant roles in our church.  But what is meant to happen to parishioners whose priest, confessor, "spiritual father" refuses to accept that relationship outside of the sacraments of hearing confession and Eucharist themselves?  Citing the prophesied absence of holy elders and simultaneously telling the parishioner to find someone else?  Is that just time for the parishioner to move on?  Or would it be reactionary shopping for a guru?  Or the protestant find a church that fits me thing?

And yes, the parishioner has addressed this issue with their priest.

This isn't a response to Fr. Chris, whose replies were all thoughtful and level.  But a major concern, and relevant.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:21 AM »

It seems to me (and I am by no means an expert) that this idea would not work for a couple reasons;

1) The priests on here would be put in the awkward position of possibly usurping the spiritual father of a poster. Like their priest said do a) and the priest on here, not knowing the person as well says to do b).

2) There are issues within Orthodoxy that are up for debate (I personally think this is a good thing, but this could cause a great deal of confusion).

3) This would allow posters to be "orthodox" without being "Orthodox." The church is our mother, we are not meant to practice Christianity as individuals.

4) There is no accountability. A priest takes on a great deal of responsibility when advising someone, this is a serious burden and it would be unfair to a priest to hold people on line accountable that they have no means of keeping accountable.

5) If these men are priests, they have a parish they are caring for, they don't need to have a "virtual" flock in addition to their own. Remember- Orthodox priests are MARRIED, many of them children. I don't think it would be fair to place more responsibility on their plate then there already is. Orthodox priest's work hard, I know that many carry on a day job as well as working as a priest. And during Lent...ooh! I am surprised that priest's are able so SLEEP, let alone get online.

Priest's are people, they are not meant to be at your beck and call like your doctor, best friend, mommy or the like. Ever seen the Simpsons? Remember the character Ned Flanders? He called his pastor for every little issue. You should have friends, family and godparents to talk to about the little things, your priest is for the bigger things.

(The above said, I have been chastised for not calling my priest about things I thought were "little" like being in a minor car accident while pregnant. I figured if I was OK I didn't need to let anyone know about it. My priest informed me that that was NOT a "little" thing and that I should let the parish know. Find out what amount of info your priest wants and stick to that, priests each have an individual level of info that they want.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 03:23:40 AM by Quinault » Logged
kansas city

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »

Forgive me, I think posting that last question was probably confusing and out of place in this thread.

The original post was simply the idea of any clergyman giving their opinion on a given question.

Not electronic elders.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: