OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 09:55:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with Fraud  (Read 1026 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: July 09, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »

It appears I have been the victim of identity theft/fraud a few years ago, and I'm only now finding out about it. I just received a letter from a legal firm stating that I owe almost $2000 to a credit card which I've never owned. I've always been quite scrupulous with my money and buy very little. Presently I am living on next to nothing, not having had a job since '08. It is very difficult. In addition, I am not quite well again, and cannot afford any extra stress, as the stress really does endanger my chances of recovery. It appears I may have to go to court over this and am so appalled by this turn of events; I just don't want such needless stress right now. I know I am innocent, and I am even certain of who stole my identity, but the trouble is, I have almost no way of proving anything.

Please pray that somehow everything will work out in my favour and that my innocence will be proven and that there won't be too much stress. Also, please pray that I can somehow have a good attitude towards these men who wronged me-now in more ways than I even imagined.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:15:58 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:24:36 PM »

That's terrible, Rosehip.

Lord, have mercy!

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »

Lord, save and have mercy upon thy servant.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »

It appears I have been the victim of identity theft/fraud a few years ago, and I'm only now finding out about it. I just received a letter from a legal firm stating that I owe almost $2000 to a credit card which I've never owned. I've always been quite scrupulous with my money and buy very little. Presently I am living on next to nothing, not having had a job since '08. It is very difficult. In addition, I am not quite well again, and cannot afford any extra stress, as the stress really does endanger my chances of recovery. It appears I may have to go to court over this and am so appalled by this turn of events; I just don't want such needless stress right now. I know I am innocent, and I am even certain of who stole my identity, but the trouble is, I have almost no way of proving anything.

Please pray that somehow everything will work out in my favour and that my innocence will be proven and that there won't be too much stress. Also, please pray that I can somehow have a good attitude towards these men who wronged me-now in more ways than I even imagined.
The same thing happened to me a while back. Someone was taking out $300 per day from an ATM, using my credit card number. The bill ran up to more than $10,000.  I contacted the credit card agency, and they had the video of the person who was taking the money out of the account. I also contacted the three credit bureaus and found out that several attempts had been made to take out loans and apply for credit in my name.  I made the police report and although it did take a while before all of this was cleared up, eventually it was cleared and I did not have to pay anything. So here is my advice:
1. Contact the local police and file a report.
2. Contact your credit card company, fraud division.
3. Contact the three credit bureaus and ask for a copy of your credit file from each one, letting them know you are a fraud victim.
There is a good chance that if you are persistent in this, you will win in the end and come out OK.
Good luck.
and
Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:19:25 AM by stanley123 » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 03:48:22 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »

The same thing happened to me a while back. Someone was taking out $300 per day from an ATM, using my credit card number. The bill ran up to more than $10,000.  I contacted the credit card agency, and they had the video of the person who was taking the money out of the account. I also contacted the three credit bureaus and found out that several attempts had been made to take out loans and apply for credit in my name.  I made the police report and although it did take a while before all of this was cleared up, eventually it was cleared and I did not have to pay anything. So here is my advice:
1. Contact the local police and file a report.
2. Contact your credit card company, fraud division.
3. Contact the three credit bureaus and ask for a copy of your credit file from each one, letting them know you are a fraud victim.
There is a good chance that if you are persistent in this, you will win in the end and come out OK.
Good luck.
and
Lord have mercy.

Thank you so much Stanley, for alll this practical advice! Thanks to all for the prayers!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »

Lord, have mercy! It happened to us before, although the people who stole our credit card did not spend that much. Thankfully, the credit card company accepted our explanation and we did not have to pay anything. I'll pray that you will not treated unjustly!

Love never fails.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »

Lord Have Mercy!

I know how you feel right now. A former roommate of mine did something similar. Hang in there and don't give up!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 01:51:35 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »

Molitve /Prayers / Молитве...

Господе Помилуј....Амин
Lord Have Mercy...Amen
Gospode Pomiluj...Amen

Sorry to hear about this ,My Prayers......
Hope Everything works out in the end......

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Phoenix73

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »

Sad Lord have mercy!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »

Wow!  So sorry to hear this.  You certainly have enough on your plate as it is.

May the Lord be merciful and help you in clearing up this whole situation - promptly and simply.

Don't stress. 

You are in my unworthy prayers!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 06:34:45 AM »

Lord have mercy

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: